What would be a quote for an External TM for a 4x4 that is towing from time to time? Is it the same as a lorry?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Coslle-Gino

What would be a quote for an External TM for a 4x4 that is towing from time to time? Is it the same as a lorry?

Post by Coslle-Gino »

What would be a quote for an External TM for a 4x4 that is towing from time to time? Is it the same as a lorry? (Will be installing a tacho on it soon)
Coslle-Gino

Re: What would be a quote for an External TM for a 4x4 that is towing from time to time? Is it the same as a lorry?

Post by Coslle-Gino »

kevinju wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:11 pm Where are you
manchester
kevinju

Re: What would be a quote for an External TM for a 4x4 that is towing from time to time? Is it the same as a lorry?

Post by kevinju »

Coslle-Gino wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:11 pm
kevinju wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:11 pm Where are you
manchester
sorry to far for me good luck
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

It's still taking a space on the TM allowance. So gets charged accordingly.
Would you charge less to deliver 10 kilos of Lead, over 10 kilos of feathers. Because it takes less room?
Coslle-Gino

Post by Coslle-Gino »

Martynet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:12 pm It's still taking a space on the TM allowance. So gets charged accordingly.
Would you charge less to deliver 10 kilos of Lead, over 10 kilos of feathers. Because it takes less room?
well... it's also about affordability.. I am clearly not making the same amount of money as a lorry owner driver 🤷🏻‍♂️ ....
I cannot afford to pay 4-5 k per year from towing... just weighing my options... I might go for the tm course myself rather than get bankrupt
I guess it's easy to see only your point of view and feel slightly triggered..
Not sure if by comparing same weight of lead&feathers you mean it would be the same amount of work for a tm regardless if it's an hgv or a 4x4.
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

Coslle-Gino wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:13 pm
Martynet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:12 pm It's still taking a space on the TM allowance. So gets charged accordingly.
well... it's also about affordability.. I am clearly not making the same amount of money as a lorry owner driver 🤷🏻‍♂️ ....
I cannot afford to pay 4-5 k per year from towing... just weighing my options... I might go for the tm course myself rather than get bankrupt
Not sure if by comparing same weight of lead&feathers you mean it would be the same amount of work for a tm regardless if it's an hgv or a 4x4.
your pricing policy is your business. But, that's not a reason to pay someone less, for doing the same job.
zach+abee

Post by zach+abee »

The issue is that an ETM can only work for 4 operators, (50 vehicle max) so your single 4x4 is still taking up the same space as an operator with a single 44 tonner.
And the fact of you only working occasionally makes no difference, you're still taking up the same space on an ETMs potential to earn money as that 44 tonner that's working round the clock with multiple drivers.
The only way to make this work is to get yourself qualified as a TM, but a lot of people can't cut the mustard, it's not a tick-box MCQ exam, so you'll need some commitment.
For £78 you can see what it is you'll need to know
https://www.eostraining.com/product/roa ... ingle-set/
Coslle-Gino

Post by Coslle-Gino »

zach+abee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:14 pm
The issue is that an ETM can only work for 4 operators, (50 vehicle max) so your single 4x4 is still taking up the same space as an operator with a single 44 tonner.
And the fact of you only working occasionally makes no difference, you're still taking up the same space on an ETMs potential to earn money as that 44 tonner that's working round the clock with multiple drivers.
The only way to make this work is to get yourself qualified as a TM, but a lot of people can't cut the mustard, it's not a tick-box MCQ exam, so you'll need some commitment.
I didn't know this. Thank you for clarifying
roneed

Post by roneed »

Coslle-Gino wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:15 pm
zach+abee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:14 pm

I didn't know this. Thank you for clarifying
if you can't afford to pay such a measly amount, I suggest you best take time out and do it yourself. Because it's simply not worth taking up a space for that money
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

Yes is the answer should be 450for first
MaInlove

Post by MaInlove »

incaRida wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:18 pm Yes is the answer should be 450for first
£500 min... once a week min is it worth the travel if not?
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

MaInlove wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:19 pm
incaRida wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:18 pm Yes is the answer should be 450for first
I agree but your gona find the market has now been flooded with idiots doing it for 350 now
paunium

Post by paunium »

might only be down the road.
MaInlove

Post by MaInlove »

paunium wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:20 pm
it would need to be ... too many busy fools... no point doing it if you're not earning well... £500.00 a month isn't earning well unless it's one lorry with a permanent v.o.r!
paunium

Post by paunium »

MaInlove wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 pm

it would need to be ... too many busy fools... no point doing it if you're not earning well... £500.00 a month isn't earning well unless it's one lorry with a permanent v.o.r!
not everyone is in it for the money.
MaInlove

Post by MaInlove »

paunium wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 pm
MaInlove wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 pm

not everyone is in it for the money.
enjoy your retirement... I work to provide... b and q is available for those that want smiley faces
alundp

Post by alundp »

why should it be £450 ? Nobody sets my rates for me
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

alundp wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:22 pm
I was speaking about the average
alundp

Post by alundp »

incaRida wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:22 pm
but people get it into their head that they should only be paying that 😞
paunium

Post by paunium »

average based on what?
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

paunium wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:23 pm

average based on what?
through the UK but I will be honest I've lost a few to people charging 350 for the first then 100 any other truck complete joke
alundp

Post by alundp »

No reason why it wouldn’t be charged the same, it’s one of their 4 allowed
Simonwalk

Post by Simonwalk »

If you're taking both an operator and an allocation from their allowance, charge would be the same
Waynebu

Post by Waynebu »

As a TM we get 4 spaces regardless of one vehicle on each operators license or 50 across all 4 licenses, so you are unlikely to get a quality manager for much under £450 a month. If you do they are likely to be near vehicle capacity as they manage larger companies and have operator space but not many vehicles.
At the end of the day the TM has to go on regular training, keep up to date, maintain vehicle and computers as well as make a living.
The risk to a TM is as. Part time operator their is a higher chance the operator will not be as worried at maintaining the TMs good repute as an operator who is working full time and knows their only or main income is based on keeping the TM’s good repute and the operator’s license up to date.
So while I see you going it is only part time, so I will run cheaper and hope to pay cheaper but in Reality you are more likely of a risk to a TM and if you factor that in then the costs are reflected in the price you are charged.
It is why most people realize it is cheaper to use an outside haulage contractor than run a vehicle part time
poeterClear

Post by poeterClear »

Waynebu wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:27 pm As a TM we get 4 spaces regardless of one vehicle on each operators license or 50 across all 4 licenses, so you are unlikely to get a quality manager for much under £450 a month. If you do they are likely to be near vehicle capacity as they manage larger companies and have operator space but not many vehicles.
At the end of the day the TM has to go on regular training, keep up to date, maintain vehicle and computers as well as make a living.
The risk to a TM is as. Part time operator their is a higher chance the operator will not be as worried at maintaining the TMs good repute as an operator who is working full time and knows their only or main income is based on keeping the TM’s good repute and the operator’s license up to date.
So while I see you going it is only part time, so I will run cheaper and hope to pay cheaper but in Reality you are more likely of a risk to a TM and if you factor that in then the costs are reflected in the price you are charged.
It is why most people realize it is cheaper to use an outside haulage contractor than run a vehicle part time
great reply
russen

Post by russen »

Waynebu wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:27 pm As a TM we get 4 spaces regardless of one vehicle on each operators license or 50 across all 4 licenses, so you are unlikely to get a quality manager for much under £450 a month. If you do they are likely to be near vehicle capacity as they manage larger companies and have operator space but not many vehicles.
spot on, the reward is nowhere near worth the risk
Kevinque

Post by Kevinque »

Depends what licence you have.....everyone assumes its a standard national but what are you transporting????
Coslle-Gino

Post by Coslle-Gino »

Kevinque wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:29 pm Depends what licence you have.....everyone assumes its a standard national but what are you transporting????
cars.. within UK
Kevinque

Post by Kevinque »

Coslle-Gino wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:29 pm
Kevinque wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:29 pm Depends what licence you have.....everyone assumes its a standard national but what are you transporting????
cars.. within UK
who do they belong too and what is your ULW of the trailer????
Coslle-Gino

Post by Coslle-Gino »

Kevinque wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:29 pm
cars.. within UK
they're not mine... I just have a regular car transport trailer.. and altogether with my towing car it goes over 3.5 tons.. the empty trailer is around 600kg.. I can load around 2.7t on it ... I know if I was towing for myself I wouldn't need an operator license, tm & tacho
Kevinque

Post by Kevinque »

Coslle-Gino wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:30 pm
Kevinque wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:29 pm

cars.. within UK
they're not mine... I just have a regular car transport trailer.. and altogether with my towing car it goes over 3.5 tons.. the empty trailer is around 600kg.. I can load around 2.7t on it ... I know if I was towing for myself I wouldn't need an operator license, tm & tacho
you have exhausted all my options......you need a TM.....🤐
Wannerco

Post by Wannerco »

How heavy is the 4x4? It may be out of scope!
alundp

Post by alundp »

Wannerco wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:31 pm How heavy is the 4x4? It may be out of scope!
I think it needs to be under 2040kg

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”