A parking ticket that I appealed with the Council but lost, but went on to win with a adjudicator. Interesting to

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
andy2ache

A parking ticket that I appealed with the Council but lost, but went on to win with a adjudicator. Interesting to

Post by andy2ache »

A parking ticket that I appealed with the Council but lost, but went on to win with a adjudicator. Interesting to read that as far as the regs are concerned, a Coach is classed as a Bus, thus allowed to use a Bus Stop. Bear this in mind peeps if you get ticketed. 😊
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (94.06 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (99.19 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 263 times
RoRob_Prep

Re: A parking ticket that I appealed with the Council but lost, but went on to win with a adjudicator. Interesting to

Post by RoRob_Prep »

What about bus lanes, I don’t think it applies
andy2ache

Re: A parking ticket that I appealed with the Council but lost, but went on to win with a adjudicator. Interesting to

Post by andy2ache »

RoRob_Prep wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:42 pm What about bus lanes, I don’t think it applies
that's meant to say bus stop. Not sure why they said bus lane. I was parked there for half hour and not even with the vehicle.
CHARLESPE

Post by CHARLESPE »

RoRob_Prep wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:42 pm What about bus lanes, I don’t think it applies
I think you will find you are allowed to used bus lanes as long as on the signs it says local buses only or if like in London TFL buses only.
Oakletion

Post by Oakletion »

CHARLESPE wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:43 pm
I think you will find you are allowed to used bus lanes as long as on the signs it says local buses only or if like in London TFL buses only.
You sure? Read what you've just posted.
CHARLESPE

Post by CHARLESPE »

Oakletion wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:44 pm
CHARLESPE wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:43 pm
You sure? Read what you've just posted.
Quite rightly must have had a brain storm should read you can use bus lane as long as it doesn’t say local buses or TFL buses only. I apologise for my error thankyou for pointing it out do not like to mislead people.
merryon192

Post by merryon192 »

bus lanes marked “ local “ are for local buses etc. Not visiting coaches or other traffic - that’s the difference
Daverm

Post by Daverm »

merryon192 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:45 pm
bus lanes marked “ local “ are for local buses etc. Not visiting coaches or other traffic - that’s the difference
thats technically not correct, 'local buses' is a term used to describe 'service' buses, im sure its somewhere in the definitions, can't remember where I saw it...
So what you are saying is local buses to that bus lane, ie a coach company around the corner are local? Lol
merryon192

Post by merryon192 »

Daverm wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:45 pm
thats technically not correct, 'local buses' is a term used to describe 'service' buses, im sure its somewhere in the definitions, can't remember where I saw it...
So what you are saying is local buses to that bus lane, ie a coach company around the corner are local? Lol
yes it was worded wrong. Local service vehicles not as in in local to area.
andy2ache

Post by andy2ache »

merryon192 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:46 pm
Daverm wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:45 pm

yes it was worded wrong. Local service vehicles not as in in local to area.
Yep if it's marked just Bus Lane, coaches can use it. If it says "local buses only" you can't.
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

Because they are buses, that is why they are taxed as a bus. I do believe we are the only country in Europe, possibly even the world who use the word coach.
Iorifect

Post by Iorifect »

Markwripe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:47 pm Because they are buses, that is why they are taxed as a bus. I do believe we are the only country in Europe, possibly even the world who use the word coach.
certainly the term here is 'Reisebus'. Literally tour bus.
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

Iorifect wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:47 pm
Markwripe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:47 pm Because they are buses, that is why they are taxed as a bus. I do believe we are the only country in Europe, possibly even the world who use the word coach.
certainly the term here is 'Reisebus'. Literally tour bus.
same as bus fahrer not coach fahrer.
Same as us, sh*t even the holy grail of coaching ' well done drivers would have you think' band bus, not coach bus.
Try googling coaches lol
Rolando.Mr

Post by Rolando.Mr »

In Spain a bus is called either 'bus' but more correctly and legally 'autobus'. A coach is called 'autocar' and occasionally 'coche' which translates as 'car' and also 'coach', and the bus and coach terms are only confused by those not in the public transport industry. I was a coach driver at Autocares Frahermar, Agua Fresca, Almeria for a while, although I was driving a pair of RMs.
RoRob_Prep

Post by RoRob_Prep »

My question is, and it’s arguable, can coaches use bus lanes? I would say yes as they are defined as such.
lows.uppery

Post by lows.uppery »

RoRob_Prep wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:49 pm My question is, and it’s arguable, can coaches use bus lanes? I would say yes as they are defined as such.
we always use bus lane unless it's a local bus lane then it's a no no other then that crack on
PorryLLike

Post by PorryLLike »

lows.uppery wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:51 pm
RoRob_Prep wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:49 pm My question is, and it’s arguable, can coaches use bus lanes? I would say yes as they are defined as such.
we always use bus lane unless it's a local bus lane then it's a no no other then that crack on
Any PCV can use a bus lane unless it specifically says ...local buses only......or .....LT (in London) buses orly
wiinolia

Post by wiinolia »

I have used bus lanes while driving a coach and have never been prosecuted and as the law says they are classed as buses and not coaches so I will have to stop calling coaches a coach because they are all buses 😂
Nickerdo

Post by Nickerdo »

yep you can use them just not when it states “local bus” but again we have won arguments when your doing a local school run.
darrenaw

Post by darrenaw »

Nickerdo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:54 pm
yep you can use them just not when it states “local bus” but again we have won arguments when your doing a local school run.
Yes, even minibuses can. Just not when it states local buses only
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

darrenaw wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:54 pm
but what's the definition of a "local bus"? Never seen that as a taxation class 🤔 When I got a ticket and lost the appeal in Wolverhampton, the firm I was driving for was based in Wolverhampton so how more "local" can you be?
darrenaw

Post by darrenaw »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:55 pm

but what's the definition of a "local bus"? Never seen that as a taxation class 🤔 When I got a ticket and lost the appeal in Wolverhampton, the firm I was driving for was based in Wolverhampton so how more "local" can you be?
I believe it means local scheduled service buses.
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

darrenaw wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:55 pm
Nee_Anarchy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:55 pm

I believe it means local scheduled service buses.
exactly what I was told by the adjudicator that dismissed my appeal. There is the definition which applies to restricted bus stops and bus lanes. All depends on what type of work you are operating and NOT the type of vehicle you are driving. Obviously there are certain loop holes that can be exploited such as incorrect signage or whether the bus stop is 'redundant' or not.
fridays161

Post by fridays161 »

Depends on the rules, if signed. Local and your local yes, if not no, but be careful of the approved vehicles only
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

fridays161 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:56 pm
Depends on the rules, if signed. Local and your local yes, if not no, but be careful of the approved vehicles only
Funny how 'we' are classed as coaches and not buses
CasCassellar

Post by CasCassellar »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:57 pm
fridays161 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:56 pm
Funny how 'we' are classed as coaches and not buses
I use bus lanes up here in Scotland all. The time, never once been dug up for it 🤷‍♀️ I'll continue to until someone tells me to stop.
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

Well it didn't work for me about 20 years ago when I dropped off on a clearly marked restricted bus stop in Wolverhampton. Adjudicator said it was for pcv operating on a stage carriage service (which could be a coach) but not private hire.
steve4hics

Post by steve4hics »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:58 pm Well it didn't work for me about 20 years ago when I dropped off on a clearly marked restricted bus stop in Wolverhampton. Adjudicator said it was for pcv operating on a stage carriage service (which could be a coach) but not private hire.
Sineage local buses only
darrenaw

Post by darrenaw »

I had the same with Conwy council. Warden argued with me that I wasn't a bus. 🤔🤔.
I won,
geoffun.Laxr

Post by geoffun.Laxr »

Now when comes to lincolnshire council and Skegness where they have on Lumley Road signs saying Buses prohibited and underneath those signs written "except buses" and the designated Coach drop off on the seafront with signs saying "Buses only"
HA HA Sort that one out guys
merlin_mery

Post by merlin_mery »

geoffun.Laxr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:00 pm Now when comes to lincolnshire council and Skegness where they have on Lumley Road signs saying Buses prohibited and underneath those signs written "except buses" and the designated Coach drop off on the seafront with signs saying "Buses only"
HA HA Sort that one out guys
That is because the word 'coach' doesn't exist when local authorities are putting in place their TROs (Traffic Reg Orders). Does the word coach exist on the road tax disc? lol
McLeodexis

Post by McLeodexis »

Last year and this year we had 100s of tickets for parking in bus stop outside a hotel to pick up.
We argued this very case and found that tfl have now had to amend a lot of there bus stops to say tfl authorized busses only.
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

McLeodexis wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:03 pm Last year and this year we had 100s of tickets for parking in bus stop outside a hotel to pick up.
We argued this very case and found that tfl have now had to amend a lot of there bus stops to say tfl authorized busses only.
doesn't matter according to their website you still can, do long as there is movement no waiting. Problem is a lot of drivers use pick up as part of their break
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 201 times
louis2ppe

Post by louis2ppe »

Markwripe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:04 pm
McLeodexis wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:03 pm Last year and this year we had 100s of tickets for parking in bus stop outside a hotel to pick up.
doesn't matter according to their website you still can, do long as there is movement no waiting. Problem is a lot of drivers use pick up as part of their break
you are wrong ...by definition of the first paragraph of the picture. You cant use tfl or local stops ... you can use stops on red routes as long as they are not marked tfl/local
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

louis2ppe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:05 pm
you are wrong ...by definition of the first paragraph of the picture. You cant use tfl or local stops ... you can use stops on red routes as long as they are not marked tfl/local
yellow routes not red, and considering the majority of central London is now red route
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (85.43 KiB) Viewed 197 times
louis2ppe

Post by louis2ppe »

Markwripe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:05 pm

yellow routes not red, and considering the majority of central London is now red route
likewise .. you cant use a tfl/local stop .. any other stop is permitted.
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

louis2ppe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:06 pm

the bus stop rule is on yellow routes only.
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

louis2ppe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:06 pm

When Red routes were first brought in they had to make dispensation for loading and u loading. Its the same as when it says local buses only, if you are a company registered in that area you can use them, we are legally classified as a bus and as a locally registered bus you can use the bus stop or bus lane. You will have the added hassle of some jobs worth sending you a ticket, but you can appeal and wi win on that basis. Most people lose appeals because they don't word things correctly or quote the correct legislation. I do appeals for a company where I live and have at least an 80% success rate. That's for parking, stopping or dart charge. Those in tfl don't really understand the rules and just work on what they have in front of them, because they know most people won't appeal
WrightAAway

Post by WrightAAway »

Well if a Coach is classed as a bus why are the government not helping these coach companies
normerco-233

Post by normerco-233 »

Think back when you took your psv you had to pull up at bus stops
hybe

Post by hybe »

all councils are bent on fraud.
pauz6ists

Post by pauz6ists »

We always use bus lanes in London...
RIGGSCOLL

Post by RIGGSCOLL »

For all bus lanes and bus stops it depends on the legislation and/or wording of the TRO or other instrument behind the restriction. As others have said, London has some blanket rules about coaches using bus stops on red routes, not using them on yellow routes and lots of special cases for bus lanes where coaches are or are not allowed but any authority can differentiate between types of buses that they want to use bus lanes or bus stops. The definition normally used is “bus” means motor vehicles constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers (exclusive of driver) whereas
“local bus” means a public service vehicle used in provision of a local service not being an excursion or tour
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

RIGGSCOLL wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:10 pm For all bus lanes and bus stops it depends on the legislation and/or wording of the TRO or other instrument behind the restriction. As others have said, London has some blanket rules about coaches using bus stops on red routes, not using them on yellow routes and lots of special cases for bus lanes where coaches are or are not allowed but any authority can differentiate between types of buses that they want to use bus lanes or bus stops. The definition normally used is “bus” means motor vehicles constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers (exclusive of driver) whereas
“local bus” means a public service vehicle used in provision of a local service not being an excursion or tour
but then is also arguable because the words 'local bus' can have a wide ranging translation. As I said above if you are a registered company in London for example within any of its boroughs you are a local bus.
RIGGSCOLL

Post by RIGGSCOLL »

Markwripe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:11 pm
RIGGSCOLL wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:10 pm For all bus lanes and bus stops it depends on the legislation and/or wording of the TRO or other instrument behind the restriction. As others have said, London has some blanket rules about coaches using bus stops on red routes, not using them on yellow routes and lots of special cases for bus lanes where coaches are or are not allowed but any authority can differentiate between types of buses that they want to use bus lanes or bus stops. The definition normally used is “bus” means motor vehicles constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers (exclusive of driver) whereas
but then is also arguable because the words 'local bus' can have a wide ranging translation. As I said above if you are a registered company in London for example within any of its boroughs you are a local bus.
That is quoted direct from legislation as the legal definition used by local authorities
merlin_mery

Post by merlin_mery »

Spot on Riggscoll.. I've been advised our coach park should be called a 'bus park'. 😕

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”