New driver first day. My lorry is 18t. The road sign show below, it seems that don't allow 'excess' 18t to pass. My

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Petercen

New driver first day. My lorry is 18t. The road sign show below, it seems that don't allow 'excess' 18t to pass. My

Post by Petercen »

New driver first day.
My lorry is 18t. The road sign show below, it seems that don't allow 'excess' 18t to pass. My question is my lorry is just equal 18t, can I pass this sign? Thanks.
Attachments
Google.jpg
Google.jpg (185.1 KiB) Viewed 539 times
ALEGONS

Re: New driver first day. My lorry is 18t. The road sign show below, it seems that don't allow 'excess' 18t to pass. My

Post by ALEGONS »

Vehicles EXCEEDING 18t. So long as you are not over 18t you’re fine. 18 is the limit
Petercen

Re: New driver first day. My lorry is 18t. The road sign show below, it seems that don't allow 'excess' 18t to pass. My

Post by Petercen »

ALEGONS wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:33 am Vehicles EXCEEDING 18t. So long as you are not over 18t you’re fine. 18 is the limit
Thank you for your kind help.
ChrisDas

Post by ChrisDas »

Yeah you be allowed down, if it anything over 18t can't go down
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

ChrisDas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:34 am Yeah you be allowed down, if it anything over 18t can't go down
ChrisDas

Post by ChrisDas »

Petercen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:34 am
ChrisDas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:34 am Yeah you be allowed down, if it anything over 18t can't go down
no worries buddy
michzapyYuft

Post by michzapyYuft »

Also above, you are not over 18 ton so youre sound. However, if it says for access (which most are) and you need to get into the weight limit to deliver/collect, you can go in regardless of weight.
As above, sometimes there will be a time restriction along with the weight limit so it may only apply at certain times.
You need time and many pairs of eyes to be able to read all the info sometimes!
It's easy to read the sign mate (sorry...couldn't help myself)
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

michzapyYuft wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:37 am Also above, you are not over 18 ton so youre sound. However, if it says for access (which most are) and you need to get into the weight limit to deliver/collect, you can go in regardless of weight.
As above, sometimes there will be a time restriction along with the weight limit so it may only apply at certain times.
You need time and many pairs of eyes to be able to read all the info sometimes!
It's easy to read the sign mate (sorry...couldn't help myself)
Jamelogy

Post by Jamelogy »

Depends if there’s a camera !!
whitech

Post by whitech »

Nothing over 18 tonne, unless it states for loading
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

whitech wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:10 am Nothing over 18 tonne, unless it states for loading
Jamnest

Post by Jamnest »

This is in your theory test you should know this, you put the time and effort in to getting the test you should have some kind of an understanding of road signs for hgv’s
micittard

Post by micittard »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:12 am This is in your theory test you should know this, you put the time and effort in to getting the test you should have some kind of an understanding of road signs for hgv’s
at least he asked for advice rather than just plough on through mate
Jamnest

Post by Jamnest »

micittard wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:13 am
Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:12 am This is in your theory test you should know this, you put the time and effort in to getting the test you should have some kind of an understanding of road signs for hgv’s
yea I understand that but you put hours of studying into it’s on the test it’s self though
Jomell1366

Post by Jomell1366 »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:13 am
yea I understand that but you put hours of studying into it’s on the test it’s self though
very helpful of you
Jomell1366

Post by Jomell1366 »

transport genius 🤣🤣
FranMax

Post by FranMax »

what a 🐓 nobody remembers everything they’ve learnt in theory people often ask others for advise or google. Unfortunately the industry is full of people like you making it harder for new drivers who’ve got a lot to take in initially.
samgy1610

Post by samgy1610 »

FranMax wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 am

what a 🐓 nobody remembers everything they’ve learnt in theory people often ask others for advise or google. Unfortunately the industry is full of people like you making it harder for new drivers who’ve got a lot to take in initially.
i plow through at 44t to be fair 🤷🏻‍♂️
Jamnest

Post by Jamnest »

how have I made it harder for him It’s basic stuff? I can assure you I will help any driver out doesn’t matter if it’s your first or last day, no one is perfect including myself, I totally understand my first day of tramping I was giving the keys and paperwork of you go, if you read my comments properly, he’s put the time and effort into getting everything he should the basics at least
barlike

Post by barlike »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:16 am

how have I made it harder for him It’s basic stuff? I can assure you I will help any driver out doesn’t matter if it’s your first or last day, no one is perfect including myself, I totally understand my first day of tramping I was giving the keys and paperwork of you go, if you read my comments properly, he’s put the time and effort into getting everything he should the basics at least
why not just give him the answer
he’s a new driver and probably bit nervous
instead of making him look a mug on here
Jamnest

Post by Jamnest »

barlike wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:17 am

it’s basic stuff it should be fresh in the mind though
grandGeo

Post by grandGeo »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:18 am

what have you achieved? Clearly its not fresh in the mind I didn't remember every single thing from my theory. Its best to ask
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:18 am

Deform

Post by Deform »

instead of giving him a hard time just give him constructive answer. I am quite sure when you were new to the game you had your own doubts.
Jamnest

Post by Jamnest »

Deform wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:19 am
instead of giving him a hard time just give him constructive answer. I am quite sure when you were new to the game you had your own doubts.
am not giving him a hard time fella, am just saying that there’s a lot of questions in the theory that should stick and common sense should come into, passing your test is the easy part you only learn when your in the job you will know yourself, but road signs they highlight that though it 🤷🏻‍♂️ hes done the right thing by asking I was just saying that this should be drummed into anyone
Jonesin

Post by Jonesin »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:28 am
am not giving him a hard time fella, am just saying that there’s a lot of questions in the theory that should stick and common sense should come into, passing your test is the easy part you only learn when your in the job you will know yourself, but road signs they highlight that though it 🤷🏻‍♂️ hes done the right thing by asking I was just saying that this should be drummed into anyone
🥱
CO_Cullervu

Post by CO_Cullervu »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:28 am
maybe the guys has forgotten, but you chosen to be a w**kwr
GenIdeall

Post by GenIdeall »

Buy a gps if your not sure least you get stuck under low bridges if your finding it difficult to decide on a road sign.
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

GenIdeall wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:29 am Buy a gps if your not sure least you get stuck under low bridges if your finding it difficult to decide on a road sign.
keview

Post by keview »

I know we all have a brain fart now and again........but come on this is basic stuff. How are you going to cope with a low bridge sign. "Hi everyone Bridge height says 12ft6 but my truck is 13ft tall, is it ok to go through slowly or do I just floor it" 🤣
Ward.Major

Post by Ward.Major »

keview wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 am I know we all have a brain fart now and again........but come on this is basic stuff. How are you going to cope with a low bridge sign. "Hi everyone Bridge height says 12ft6 but my truck is 13ft tall, is it ok to go through slowly or do I just floor it" 🤣
how is an 18t vehicle in an 18t limit the same as a 13' vehicle under a 12'6" bridge?
If you'd said a 13' vehicle under a 13' bridge there may have been some relevance.
A new driver just wants to confirm that 18t is the max permitted.
keview

Post by keview »

Ward.Major wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:32 am
keview wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 am I know we all have a brain fart now and again........but come on this is basic stuff. How are you going to cope with a low bridge sign. "Hi everyone Bridge height says 12ft6 but my truck is 13ft tall, is it ok to go through slowly or do I just floor it" 🤣
how is an 18t vehicle in an 18t limit the same as a 13' vehicle under a 12'6" bridge?
If you'd said a 13' vehicle under a 13' bridge there may have been some relevance.
that's what the hours and hours of learning was meant to be for, to learn all this sort of information. I can forgive a new driver asking about stuff they've not done or seen before like tips on reversing or how Snap app works or practical advice on securing a load but not basic highway code stuff that you should know before heading out on the road
willxoana34

Post by willxoana34 »

A speed limit sign of 50mph for example, means up to and including 50mph. A weight restriction is the same - up to and including 18t can go past that sign. (Most have “except for access” which exempts all weights if they’re delivering)
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

willxoana34 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:33 am A speed limit sign of 50mph for example, means up to and including 50mph. A weight restriction is the same - up to and including 18t can go past that sign. (Most have “except for access” which exempts all weights if they’re delivering)
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

Petercen

Post by Petercen »

Ward.Major wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:32 am
Jamelogy

Post by Jamelogy »

Not max vehicle weight so ANYTHING under 18T, there’s a 26T one near us, my artic is 15T empty so through I go !!
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

Jamelogy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:37 am Not max vehicle weight so ANYTHING under 18T, there’s a 26T one near us, my artic is 15T empty so through I go !!
seriously, is that true, if I drive 44t artic, but it is empty like you, only 15t, I can pass this 18t prohibited sign?
DouDough

Post by DouDough »

Petercen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:38 am
Jamelogy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:37 am Not max vehicle weight so ANYTHING under 18T, there’s a 26T one near us, my artic is 15T empty so through I go !!
seriously, is that true, if I drive 44t artic, but it is empty like you, only 15t, I can pass this 18t prohibited sign?
yes unless it says mgw below the sign which basically means you go by maximum allowable weight which in the case of a six axle artic is 44 tonnes even if empty
JoSubject

Post by JoSubject »

You can go through that with an 18t plated max gross weight. However you cannot take an empty artic, even if it weighs 15t empty!! The weights are usually the plated max gross weight of vehicles. So unless an attic has a max plated weight of 18t or less, then it would be a no.
I’m happy to be proven wrong on this, but it is how I’ve always understood it.
Yu-Hraxiatu

Post by Yu-Hraxiatu »

DouDough wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:39 am
yes unless it says mgw below the sign which basically means you go by maximum allowable weight which in the case of a six axle artic is 44 tonnes even if empty
It’s not the case. These signs always applied to MGW so regardless of your loads, always a no with artic. And 18t sign means over 18t prohibited so anything under or equal 18t can go through. Same way as height limit prohibitions.
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

JoSubject wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:39 am
You can go through that with an 18t plated max gross weight. However you cannot take an empty artic, even if it weighs 15t empty!! The weights are usually the plated max gross weight of vehicles. So unless an attic has a max plated weight of 18t or less, then it would be a no.
thank you for your kind help
Dell-Forb

Post by Dell-Forb »

Petercen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:41 am
JoSubject wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:39 am

thank you for your kind help
Absolutely not.. Signs in the UK are plated at Maximum Authorised Mass. Your truck is 18T whether empty or full according to the law...
You can pass through an 18T sign, BUT cannot pass a 17T sign even if empty..
Dell-Forb

Post by Dell-Forb »

You really need to ask this in your next CPC lesson..
DouDough

Post by DouDough »

Dell-Forb wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:42 am

I just have spoken to a dcpc provider and he says as long as I only has a weight limit and NO mgw you can go down it as long as your below the limit
Dell-Forb

Post by Dell-Forb »

DouDough wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:43 am

I just have spoken to a dcpc provider and he says as long as I only has a weight limit and NO mgw you can go down it as long as your below the limit
Well you are still very wrong.. Its actually hilarious that you quote a dcpc provider.
Weight limit signs refer to the MGW or MAM of the vehicle.. The maximum plated weight. UNLESS otherwise stated..
DouDough

Post by DouDough »

Dell-Forb wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:43 am

Well you are still very wrong.. Its actually hilarious that you quote a dcpc provider.
Weight limit signs refer to the MGW or MAM of the vehicle.. The maximum plated weight. UNLESS otherwise stated..
OK where is this stated and is it any wonder that there is so much confusion with drivers if the dcpc providers don't know
Dell-Forb

Post by Dell-Forb »

DouDough wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:44 am

OK where is this stated and is it any wonder that there is so much confusion with drivers if the dcpc providers don't know
There is no confusion.. Tower Bridge in London is 18T... Take your empty artic over that bridge and see if you get a fine... To save you the hassle, and the expense... Your will be fined.. Why? Because its an 18T weight limit and you are 44T!!
Dell-Forb

Post by Dell-Forb »

The highway code! Maybe get a different CPC provider!!!
Attachments
7.5t.jpg
7.5t.jpg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 443 times
kazeMonster

Post by kazeMonster »

Dell-Forb wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:45 am

I pass that bridge back on 2017 with a double decker from Home Bargains and no penalty ever arrived..🤔
Dell-Forb

Post by Dell-Forb »

kazeMonster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:47 am

I pass that bridge back on 2017 with a double decker from Home Bargains and no penalty ever arrived..🤔
You wouldn't get away with it today..
stevcotter

Post by stevcotter »

no, you can't!
stevcotter

Post by stevcotter »

bull sh*t.
stevcotter

Post by stevcotter »

Only time a large vehicle that has a gross exceeding the posted weight limit that has a picture of a lorry is buses and nothing more. Signs with weight limit with no picture and states mgw do not allow heavier vehicles over unless it further states except empty vehicles
Attachments
6 West St.jpg
6 West St.jpg (76.75 KiB) Viewed 435 times
SUTTONLY

Post by SUTTONLY »

Dell-Forb wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:47 am
kazeMonster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:47 am

You wouldn't get away with it today..
why do some signs state on them MGW and others just have 7.5T,18T etc without MGW then?
gorntuser40

Post by gorntuser40 »

any over 18t prohibited. So anything 18t and under allowed
Jamelogy

Post by Jamelogy »

gorntuser40 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 am
👍 know your weight, my rigs 15.150T empty so am through, it doesn’t say Max vehicle weight it say 18T max I’m not all good sausages for Tea……
gorntuser40

Post by gorntuser40 »

Jamelogy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:51 am
gorntuser40 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 am
👍 know your weight, my rigs 15.150T empty so am through, it doesn’t say Max vehicle weight it say 18T max I’m not all good sausages for Tea……
it's what you are plated at that matters, if your plated over 18t but empty weighing less, you are still prohibited. Know my weights, always. Enjoy them sausages...1😀
lungchu

Post by lungchu »

read highway code again. Signs with or without mgw wording still mean mgw limit, not actual weight
McAttrege

Post by McAttrege »

lungchu wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:53 am
read highway code again. Signs with or without mgw wording still mean mgw limit, not actual weight
can you include this section from highway code so others can see?
lungchu

Post by lungchu »

McAttrege wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:54 am
big red circle sign, ignore "except for loading" wordings as this is additional.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 421 times
McAttrege

Post by McAttrege »

lungchu wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:55 am

big red circle sign, ignore "except for loading" wordings as this is additional.
hrmmm I see it, wonder why some have MGW below and some don't then, clearly leads to confusion amongst many drivers on here
lungchu

Post by lungchu »

McAttrege wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:55 am

hrmmm I see it, wonder why some have MGW below and some don't then, clearly leads to confusion amongst many drivers on here
one is good vehicles and the one with mgw is any vehicles, ie bus etc
GlenBall

Post by GlenBall »

lungchu wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:56 am

the way that picture is worded just means no vehicle weighing over the MGW of 7.5T. If a vehicle is under then according to that wording it would be allowed.
lungchu

Post by lungchu »

GlenBall wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:56 am
lungchu wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:56 am

the way that picture is worded just means no vehicle weighing over the MGW of 7.5T. If a vehicle is under then according to that wording it would be allowed.
wording is maximum gross weight. Not actual weight. A tractor unit itself has MGW about 23T, train weight of 44T max. So although that tractor unit only weighed 7T, but it still can't go through that sign.
SSamuellyn4

Post by SSamuellyn4 »

only if it says “except when empty” then you go off of your empty weight compared to the restriction
Condillan

Post by Condillan »

I really hope you are just messing with him..😂
westolBen

Post by westolBen »

rubbish. It’s the Maximum Authorised Mass that is on the sign, not the actual weight
Dell-Forb

Post by Dell-Forb »

You need a CPC lesson...

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”