Thinking about putting a 3 or 4 axle low loader/step frame on the road as owner driver in Scotland. Just wondering

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Partell.Xion

Thinking about putting a 3 or 4 axle low loader/step frame on the road as owner driver in Scotland. Just wondering

Post by Partell.Xion »

Thinking about putting a 3 or 4 axle low loader/step frame on the road as owner driver in Scotland.
Just wondering how hard it is to get work and how decent the rates are?
Any suggestion would be appreciated. Don’t mind traveling for work.
Alfieldo

Re: Thinking about putting a 3 or 4 axle low loader/step frame on the road as owner driver in Scotland. Just wondering

Post by Alfieldo »

Are you an owner driver now?
Partell.Xion

Re: Thinking about putting a 3 or 4 axle low loader/step frame on the road as owner driver in Scotland. Just wondering

Post by Partell.Xion »

Alfieldo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:19 pm Are you an owner driver now?
no. Just looking into it at the moment. I possibly know two people already I’d get work from. One is definitely reliable.
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Just looking into it at the moment. I possibly know two people already I’d get work from. One is definitely reliable.
Mikeenh

Post by Mikeenh »

I’m about a fortnight into doing the same thing, (I’m not driving it though) the work is there but it’s competitive, I’m hoping that a single large customer will provide the majority of the work for me and I don’t think I’d have gone into it without that there, admittedly my limited experience is in the midlands so can’t speak for Scotland but I think as with all businesses it’s about getting yourself out there and contacting as many prospective customers as possible, know your market and don’t be afraid to talk to as many people as possible!
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Mikeenh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:21 pm I’m about a fortnight into doing the same thing, (I’m not driving it though) the work is there but it’s competitive, I’m hoping that a single large customer will provide the majority of the work for me and I don’t think I’d have gone into it without that there, admittedly my limited experience is in the midlands so can’t speak for Scotland but I think as with all businesses it’s about getting yourself out there and contacting as many prospective customers as possible, know your market and don’t be afraid to talk to as many people as possible!
exactly the same boat. I’m wanting to put some in it and carry on with my other stuff.
Getting a reliable driver is the biggest worry.
Mikeenh

Post by Mikeenh »

Partell.Xion wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:21 pm
Mikeenh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:21 pm I’m about a fortnight into doing the same thing, (I’m not driving it though) the work is there but it’s competitive, I’m hoping that a single large customer will provide the majority of the work for me and I don’t think I’d have gone into it without that there, admittedly my limited experience is in the midlands so can’t speak for Scotland but I think as with all businesses it’s about getting yourself out there and contacting as many prospective customers as possible, know your market and don’t be afraid to talk to as many people as possible!
exactly the same boat. I’m wanting to put some in it and carry on with my other stuff.
it’s honestly the hardest part, I have thought about doing it for a long time but finding the right pilot was what gave me the confidence to actually do it, I think the money is there if you plan your days well and keep busy, people will pay properly but it’s the 2 loads in a day that make your profit
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Mikeenh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm
it’s honestly the hardest part, I have thought about doing it for a long time but finding the right pilot was what gave me the confidence to actually do it, I think the money is there if you plan your days well and keep busy, people will pay properly but it’s the 2 loads in a day that make your profit
I noticed your number on a previous post. Do you mind if I give you a whats app? No wanting to be cheeky and just do it.
Mikeenh

Post by Mikeenh »

Partell.Xion wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm
Mikeenh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm

I noticed your number on a previous post. Do you mind if I give you a whats app? No wanting to be cheeky and just do it.
of course, drop me a message 👍
AndContent

Post by AndContent »

Have you been driving low loaders for long? If you have enough funds to take the chance I’d go for it.
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

AndContent wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:23 pm Have you been driving low loaders for long? If you have enough funds to take the chance I’d go for it.
honestly only ever road tested after repairing them. I’ve got a fair bit of machinery operating experience and driving experience though.
The start up funds is a hard one. How much do you need?
AndContent

Post by AndContent »

Partell.Xion wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:23 pm
AndContent wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:23 pm Have you been driving low loaders for long? If you have enough funds to take the chance I’d go for it.
honestly only ever road tested after repairing them. I’ve got a fair bit of machinery operating experience and driving experience though.
loads, good unit an trailer £50k-£60 you going three axle? Have you looked about o license ? I was seriously considering doing same as you. If I was driving for someone I’d follow the times an rules but if I was owner/operator I’d be taking Maggie With me
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

AndContent wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm
loads, good unit an trailer £50k-£60 you going three axle? Have you looked about o license ? I was seriously considering doing same as you. If I was driving for someone I’d follow the times an rules but if I was owner/operator I’d be taking Maggie With me
ideally I’d like to go for a 4 axle Nooteboom but I’ve not seen many second hand at all. Depends on what the unit I get is plated for.
No point getting a 4 axle if the unit is only plated for 44t
AndContent

Post by AndContent »

Partell.Xion wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm

ideally I’d like to go for a 4 axle Nooteboom but I’ve not seen many second hand at all. Depends on what the unit I get is plated for.
Scania?
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

AndContent wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 pm
Partell.Xion wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm

Scania?
looking at most things. I’ve got a fair bit of mechanical experience on Scania and Merc though so that might sway the decision a bit
gary.stoop

Post by gary.stoop »

1st of all a pilot flies a aircraft. Truck drivers are not pilots they load and secure the vehicle then drive it to the destination. Good luck with your venture and your pilot ffs
stanLife

Post by stanLife »

Plenty of cash in it, ask Andy Craig.
Derekla

Post by Derekla »

stanLife wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:27 pm Plenty of cash in it, ask Andy Craig.
has been said he is the richest hauler in Ayrshire
padderix53

Post by padderix53 »

Jordan Notley would be a good man to ask as he is an owner driver in scotland running a low loader.
Johngram3

Post by Johngram3 »

Second hand 4 axle trailer going to set you back £60k, decent truck another £60 k plus or buy a cheap one that will cost you the same in maintenance monthly. (You should base all your costs and invoicing on a new truck, too many make the mistake of basing it on what they bought then can't replace it as their profit line only allows them to stagnate)
Good Drivers are like rocking horse sh*t, drivers that do low loader work well and independently are rare in comparison. So for that your looking at £40k per year plus taxes (as an employer there's additional tax on employees you don't see). Following that you will need insurance, as a new business the few that take you on will want £15-20k and that's just vehicle insurance. Loader work you are often carrying £500k plus so goods in transit is significant.
After that there needs to be £10-15 k sitting in bank (or proven available funds) at all times to prove status for operator licence (another spend) if you don't have an transport manager you will have to pay one or sit the course yourself.
There's alot more to it than that.
Now don't get me wrong, as far as haulage goes the low loader market is one of the better ones to get into but there's a reason for that. It's more specialized than people think. The work is alot more involved and staying legal is harder work. Especially if your moving into category work (another list of costs and complications).
I could go on all day, but I'm going to stop 😁
Don't forget the 6-7 miles to the gallon (those little wheels and that trailer are a sore pull) the high tyre turn over (those little wheels don't like where you take them).
Oh and we are currently moving into a time where companies are under pressure and folding up so you may easily get new customers who are moving away from current suppliers (be careful and find out why from sources other than them). We have had two fold on us this month alone, luckily both under £2 k on books (driver still gets paid, lorry still took what it took, guess what I got out of it😳).
But good luck anyway.
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Johngram3 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:31 pm Second hand 4 axle trailer going to set you back £60k, decent truck another £60 k plus or buy a cheap one that will cost you the same in maintenance monthly. (You should base all your costs and invoicing on a new truck, too many make the mistake of basing it on what they bought then can't replace it as their profit line only allows them to stagnate)
Good Drivers are like rocking horse sh*t, drivers that do low loader work well and independently are rare in comparison. So for that your looking at £40k per year plus taxes (as an employer there's additional tax on employees you don't see). Following that you will need insurance, as a new business the few that take you on will want £15-20k and that's just vehicle insurance. Loader work you are often carrying £500k plus so goods in transit is significant.
After that there needs to be £10-15 k sitting in bank (or proven available funds) at all times to prove status for operator licence (another spend) if you don't have an transport manager you will have to pay one or sit the course yourself.
Now don't get me wrong, as far as haulage goes the low loader market is one of the better ones to get into but there's a reason for that. It's more specialized than people think. The work is alot more involved and staying legal is harder work. Especially if your moving into category work (another list of costs and complications).
Don't forget the 6-7 miles to the gallon (those little wheels and that trailer are a sore pull) the high tyre turn over (those little wheels don't like where you take them).
Oh and we are currently moving into a time where companies are under pressure and folding up so you may easily get new customers who are moving away from current suppliers (be careful and find out why from sources other than them). We have had two fold on us this month alone, luckily both under £2 k on books (driver still gets paid, lorry still took what it took, guess what I got out of it😳).
But good luck anyway.
Thanks for all advice so far.
Who are people using for business loan truck finance etc.
thecoops60

Post by thecoops60 »

Johngram3 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:31 pm Second hand 4 axle trailer going to set you back £60k, decent truck another £60 k plus or buy a cheap one that will cost you the same in maintenance monthly. (You should base all your costs and invoicing on a new truck, too many make the mistake of basing it on what they bought then can't replace it as their profit line only allows them to stagnate)
But good luck anyway.

Hi, just out of interest and for my own records, how much is Goods In Transit insurance likely to cost for £500k cover of moving Plant and Machinery on a low loader??

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”