Does CPC training time count as your working time ?? As in could I work all day and do CPC in the evening ??

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Kingson

Re: Does CPC training time count as your working time ?? As in could I work all day and do CPC in the evening ??

Post by Kingson »

If your employer tells you you have to go, it’s other work.
If you decided to spending 7 hours on the weekend doing a CPC course under your own free will, it’s counted as rest.
Gower5cial

Re: Does CPC training time count as your working time ?? As in could I work all day and do CPC in the evening ??

Post by Gower5cial »

I think it depends if the company is paying you to take the course as a days wage. Then that requires a manual entry as it’s Other Work.
If you book the course yourself and pay for it yourself and you take in your weekly rest period then it doesn’t require a manual entry and is classed as rest.
That’s my understanding of the situation.
So. I work for a company and they supply the course. It’s Other Work. When I was self employed and I paid, I classed it as Rest.
kapoory

Post by kapoory »

If you’re getting paid it’s other work. If you’re not getting paid it’s not other work. You do whatever you want in your own time/ rest period.
markfon

Post by markfon »

kapoory wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:58 pm If you’re getting paid it’s other work. If you’re not getting paid it’s not other work. You do whatever you want in your own time/ rest period.
getting paid has nothing to do with it.
kapoory

Post by kapoory »

markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:58 pm
kapoory wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:58 pm If you’re getting paid it’s other work. If you’re not getting paid it’s not other work. You do whatever you want in your own time/ rest period.
if you’re doing a college course online in your own time is that classed as other work? A CPC course in your own time is the same scenario in my eyes. Same with if you do a speed awareness course it’s not other work but your still attending a class. There’s no clear line for anyone to know what is classed as other work and what is not. I always told you get paid it’s other work. You don’t get paid it’s your choice in your own/resting time.
markfon

Post by markfon »

kapoory wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:58 pm
if you’re doing a college course online in your own time is that classed as other work? A CPC course in your own time is the same scenario in my eyes. Same with if you do a speed awareness course it’s not other work but your still attending a class. There’s no clear line for anyone to know what is classed as other work and what is not. I always told you get paid it’s other work. You don’t get paid it’s your choice in your own/resting time.
!!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (67.16 KiB) Viewed 175 times
markfon

Post by markfon »

if you attend voluntary it can be classified as rest being paid has nothing to do with it.
kapoory

Post by kapoory »

markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:00 pm

if you attend voluntary it can be classified as rest being paid has nothing to do with it.
well you’ve cleared that one up for me. Thank you. Does that go on transport management CPC, ADR training, HIAB etc..?? They are all things you pay for out of your wages essentially to progress into a new direction of employment.
kapoory

Post by kapoory »

I get you so what if your company pay for it and request you attend? Does that then class as other work?
markfon

Post by markfon »

kapoory wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:01 pm

I get you so what if your company pay for it and request you attend? Does that then class as other work?
read the rules. If not voluntary then not rest like the rules say. Pay is irrelevant
mekkiMetro

Post by mekkiMetro »

markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:01 pm

read the rules. If not voluntary then not rest like the rules say. Pay is irrelevant
getting paid has everything to do with it
Paid = on duty
markfon

Post by markfon »

mekkiMetro wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:03 pm

Paid = on duty
getting paid definitely has nothing to do with it.
mekkiMetro

Post by mekkiMetro »

markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:03 pm

Paid = on duty
why ???
mekkiMetro

Post by mekkiMetro »

Paid = on duty
why ??
Paid = on duty
Voluntary unpaid = rest period
markfon

Post by markfon »

mekkiMetro wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:04 pm

Paid = on duty
why ??
Paid = on duty
If you attend voluntary it's rest if under obligation/ told to go it's other work.
89Longdands

Post by 89Longdands »

markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:05 pm

why ??
Paid = on duty
If you attend voluntary it's rest if under obligation/ told to go it's other work.
if the company request you attend it then they have to pay you dont they
markfon

Post by markfon »

89Longdands wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:05 pm

why ??
Paid = on duty
no plus you can refuse to go.
mekkiMetro

Post by mekkiMetro »

why ??
Paid = on duty
yeah that’s what I just said
mekkiMetro

Post by mekkiMetro »

why ??
Paid = on duty
they can’t say you must go in your own time
markfon

Post by markfon »

mekkiMetro wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:06 pm

why ??
Paid = on duty
yeah that’s what I just said
you on drugs?
JiggyCute

Post by JiggyCute »

mekkiMetro wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:07 pm

they can’t say you must go in your own time
not necessarily. Ask a tour driver if they are “on duty” during their weekly rests, and quite rightly, the answer will be “no”
Now ask them if they are being paid 😉
Brownse

Post by Brownse »

why ??
Paid = on duty
they can request as much as they like but you don’t have to do it. They can set up a course for you and not pay you to do the course but remember they don’t have to set up any courses at all so it’s in your interest to attend unless you want to pay for it yourself and you’re free to do it when you want (unpaid)
89Longdands

Post by 89Longdands »

Brownse wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:09 pm

they can request as much as they like but you don’t have to do it. They can set up a course for you and not pay you to do the course but remember they don’t have to set up any courses at all so it’s in your interest to attend unless you want to pay for it yourself and you’re free to do it when you want (unpaid)
it's in your interest to do it but if your not paid to its your choice ergo, it's not other work.
markfon

Post by markfon »

Oh dear, showing how dim you are laughing at correct information.
overch

Post by overch »

markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:10 pm

showing how dim you are by trying to argue with strangers on here.
markfon

Post by markfon »

overch wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:11 pm
markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:10 pm

showing how dim you are by trying to argue with strangers on here.
I don't understand you!
Mill-Gaud

Post by Mill-Gaud »

If your paying and pick time and date it's yours not other work or wtd
If gaffer paying or says when you attend its other work
markfon

Post by markfon »

Mill-Gaud wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:15 pm If your paying and pick time and date it's yours not other work or wtd
pay is irrelevant if instructed to attend then other work if voluntary then rest.
Mill-Gaud

Post by Mill-Gaud »

markfon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:15 pm
Mill-Gaud wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:15 pm If your paying and pick time and date it's yours not other work or wtd
pay is irrelevant if instructed to attend then other work if voluntary then rest.
make that cost of the course if gaffer names it you have no choice so it's other work
markfon

Post by markfon »

Mill-Gaud wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:16 pm
make that cost of the course if gaffer names it you have no choice so it's other work
pay is irrelevant
markfon

Post by markfon »

it's the driver's responsibility for the cpc. A complete gas no legal obligation to supply the courses if it doesn't want to.
markfon

Post by markfon »

!!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (67.16 KiB) Viewed 111 times
EVANXITE

Post by EVANXITE »

Thank's everyone for your comments.
carwo-gean

Post by carwo-gean »

Only if ur company is paying for it
markfon

Post by markfon »

carwo-gean wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:18 pm Only if ur company is paying for it
not true
Timckion772

Post by Timckion772 »

Personally I class it as a rest period because I’m that bored I usually fall asleep 😴.
467-willdeers

Post by 467-willdeers »

No CPC no driving job ,My last employer paid for the course and it was on a Saturday so not paid for it but remember without a CPC card no driving job 🚛💨🚛💨🇬🇧🇬🇧
BE SAFE .
2016_ashcko

Post by 2016_ashcko »

darrest wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:20 pmYes it does
only if your being paid to be there
Strange rule I think but if the employer pays for it and doesn’t pay the employee to be there then you can work.
That’s how my last place did it all on Saturdays
darrest

Post by darrest »

2016_ashcko wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:30 pm
Strange rule I think but if the employer pays for it and doesn’t pay the employee to be there then you can work.
I was always told it counted as wtd and manual entries have to be put on to show the course in case it’s checked
2016_ashcko

Post by 2016_ashcko »

darrest wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:30 pm
2016_ashcko wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:30 pm
I was always told it counted as wtd and manual entries have to be put on to show the course in case it’s checked
yeah that’s if the employer is paying the employee for their time.
chuyear45

Post by chuyear45 »

Tell me your employer doesn’t pay you whilst you’re training, without telling me your employer doesn’t pay you whilst you’re training
younip

Post by younip »

This is such a simple answer
Employer arranges courses, and instructs driver to attend, whether paid or not.
This classes as other work, manual entry required next time you put your card in.
Employer arranges courses, but allows drivers to attend should they wish to do so.
This classes as Rest, driver is not under any obligation to attend.
In regards to not declaring hours of other work, could end up with serious consequences.
All DCPC training is recorded on the drivers record, this creates a paper trail. Back in January 2022, the DVSA introduced regulations stating all drivers are to recorded 24/7 every hour, minute and second of their day
Therefore this needs to recorded. Regardless of being paid unpaid or even voluntary.
https://www.cpcdirect.co.uk/letter-of-attestation
Don’t take the chance you might end up losing more than just a day.
Davitica

Post by Davitica »

Someone can you shed any light on this question?
Clarkeym

Post by Clarkeym »

Davitica wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:34 pm Someone can you shed any light on this question?
yes mate. If you work all day and go to a Cpc I the evening don't tell anyone and all will be grand. Beano c*nts
jimuesu

Post by jimuesu »

You can do what you want in your own time. Is cutting my grass work or rest???
Amiel_MC

Post by Amiel_MC »

Did one yesterday in my own time with no pay. I asked this question to the trainer. Didn’t count as other work because I was on rest/not being paid. Company paid for CPC though
Ghils7Anio

Post by Ghils7Anio »

This is an advice forum, so answers should be as legal as possible because this is what we are doing, legal stuffs. Think about how many professional drivers are doing the pre use and post use check correctly, it's same answer for your questions. Enjoy your sins😈
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

Ask your local DVSA.
Asked two different officers, got two different answers.
Manual record should be kept for your weekend rest, what you record on that weekend is down to you.
If recorded the way that some DVSA officers want, it should been recorded as 7hrs other work, and so a minimum 45hr break should be the next weekly break.
DVSA know when and where you done a course.
I haven’t been told how hard they will police it, but it is the DVSA.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”