Hi everyone, question is it worth it becoming an owner driver, thinking about doing it but unsure.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Adampu

Re: Hi everyone, question is it worth it becoming an owner driver, thinking about doing it but unsure.

Post by Adampu »

Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm
Adampu wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm Be quick. They are changing the Operator Licence Rules again next year, plus it's going to be mandatory to upload your Live banking to TC every 6 months to prove you have the required money in the bank at all times for how many Vehicles you have.
where did you get this from?
my transport manager
Frankho

Re: Hi everyone, question is it worth it becoming an owner driver, thinking about doing it but unsure.

Post by Frankho »

Adampu wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:25 pm
Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm
Adampu wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm Be quick. They are changing the Operator Licence Rules again next year, plus it's going to be mandatory to upload your Live banking to TC every 6 months to prove you have the required money in the bank at all times for how many Vehicles you have.
where did you get this from?
my transport manager
give his head a little shake that’s private and confidential not for anyone to access live
cliexpr

Post by cliexpr »

What ever you do don't bother!!!! I used to have 3 trucks. Two on for Tarmac and one on for Aggregate Industries. The rates are shocking and before I finished I was working for less in 2020 than I was in 2010. They'll happily have you sat around with no work and then complain when you sort your own out. You'll make more driving for someone else, have fewer headaches and a better work life balance.
garyarc

Post by garyarc »

cliexpr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:27 pm What ever you do don't bother!!!! I used to have 3 trucks. Two on for Tarmac and one on for Aggregate Industries. The rates are shocking and before I finished I was working for less in 2020 than I was in 2010. They'll happily have you sat around with no work and then complain when you sort your own out. You'll make more driving for someone else, have fewer headaches and a better work life balance.
I have your old truck. Its on for Ai. I'd never own a truck. If you can run it day and night, maybe. But the rates are awful. 200 a day in fuel, 140 for wages, then the truck payments. Then you're getting two loads of black a day and a dry if you're lucky. (Liverpool)
cliexpr

Post by cliexpr »

garyarc wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:27 pm
cliexpr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:27 pm What ever you do don't bother!!!! I used to have 3 trucks. Two on for Tarmac and one on for Aggregate Industries. The rates are shocking and before I finished I was working for less in 2020 than I was in 2010. They'll happily have you sat around with no work and then complain when you sort your own out. You'll make more driving for someone else, have fewer headaches and a better work life balance.
I have your old truck. Its on for Ai. I'd never own a truck. If you can run it day and night, maybe. But the rates are awful. 200 a day in fuel, 140 for wages, then the truck payments. Then you're getting two loads of black a day and a dry if you're lucky. (Liverpool)
Any jobs going!?🤣 I loved the job just not the hassle of the trucks
garyarc

Post by garyarc »

cliexpr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:28 pm
garyarc wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:27 pm
Any jobs going!?🤣 I loved the job just not the hassle of the trucks
140 is including the employer NI contribution, employer holiday pay accruement & employer pension contribution. It may actually be a bit more than 140 a day.
I'm talking from the prospective of an owner driver paying someone PAYE to drive the truck
So to give 126 to staff could cost over 140 a day to an employer
stephard

Post by stephard »

If u wanna work all the hours going and are happy to do that then go for it all I can say is when ur not driving them ur either changing tyres or running around trying to get them fixed and when that's done sorting out legal side like paperwork downloads ....invoices anyone in this game good on you been doing it 3 years now and I spend many days going home with my head in my hands ✋
Mikeel

Post by Mikeel »

stephard wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:29 pm If u wanna work all the hours going and are happy to do that then go for it all I can say is when ur not driving them ur either changing tyres or running around trying to get them fixed and when that's done sorting out legal side like paperwork downloads ....invoices anyone in this game good on you been doing it 3 years now and I spend many days going home with my head in my hands ✋
well said 👌
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Keeps you off drugs and any other bad habits because the trucks ARE a drug and won’t share your time and devotion with anything else so in a sense it’s a good thing
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

In order to be a millionaire you gotta start off with £5m
jeffdum

Post by jeffdum »

ExEast wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:04 pm Are the comments saying no from from ex owner drivers ??? I’ve been at it 15 years now and had a good living. You only get out what you’re prepared to put in. That’s my experience. Have a go. Regret something you’ve done rather than something you haven’t
and you are only part time😂😂
ExEast

Post by ExEast »

jeffdum wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:32 pm
ExEast wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:04 pm Are the comments saying no from from ex owner drivers ??? I’ve been at it 15 years now and had a good living. You only get out what you’re prepared to put in. That’s my experience. Have a go. Regret something you’ve done rather than something you haven’t
and you are only part time😂😂
I’m not raising my hours to that
daniel_deep

Post by daniel_deep »

Watching from Australia. And same over here. I wouldn’t do it again and don’t recommend it.
If you put the same hours in as an employee you’ll end up with the same reward and less stress
deckfind

Post by deckfind »

Unless you got your own work and plenty of cash behind you for firms who take 60 to 90 days to pay or not at all in some cases, I've been broke twice lost house marriage through bad payers
I'm still at it after 30 years but gone from 5 to just me would earn far more as a driver for a company
But if you don't try you will never know
Thomasso

Post by Thomasso »

Forget itwhat hgv wages are now you hang the keys up at the weekend go on holidayin peace etc
martin_star

Post by martin_star »

Not any more mate... Been there...
Ellsy1289

Post by Ellsy1289 »

7 days a week, every week to make it pay. If your not driving your fixing, doing paperwork or chasing for late payments
overinPink

Post by overinPink »

It boils down to are your balls big enough to risk losing it all or making it work!!
Jesseli

Post by Jesseli »

It's great when everything's going well, working flying in, no break downs, But when it's all going wrong it's not great. You loose a tyre and that's the day lost, same with break downs and anything else. If something happened and I'd need to start over again, would I? Na I doubt I would. And I'm only using a small 15t 4x2 2008 Daf LF as we have an island wide width restriction
philip-tactic

Post by philip-tactic »

Don’t do it it’s nothing but expensive I packed it in last year after 12 years of being an owner driver best thing I ever did no stress no problems working for a company let them have the hassle
Simmore

Post by Simmore »

And on top of that you are not laying under it must night and weekends in the piss down of rain and freezing your nuts of
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Simmore wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:38 pm And on top of that you are not laying under it must night and weekends in the piss down of rain and freezing your nuts of
fitters are there for that
Simmore

Post by Simmore »

Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:38 pm
Simmore wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:38 pm And on top of that you are not laying under it must night and weekends in the piss down of rain and freezing your nuts of
and that why you lose money you lazy sod
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Simmore wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:39 pm
Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:38 pm
and that why you lose money you lazy sod
moneys not everything 😌😌😌 health means something
jomille

Post by jomille »

Spent the time researching the game, checking the costs, weighing up the pros and cons, factoring in the possibilities and realized its just not worth the hassle or the stress.
Buy a truck outright.... gearbox goes and you're screwed.
Lease a truck.... an addition monthly cost with little profit margin.
Dry spell, you've still got your insurance, tax and whatever else to pay for. Get your accounting wrong and you're in trouble with HMRC.
And not to mention the price of diesel at the minute. Its hard to get a nice profit margin anyway when other more established firms can afford to undercut your rates.
deckfind

Post by deckfind »

jomille wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:41 pm Spent the time researching the game, checking the costs, weighing up the pros and cons, factoring in the possibilities and realized its just not worth the hassle or the stress.
Buy a truck outright.... gearbox goes and you're screwed.
Lease a truck.... an addition monthly cost with little profit margin.
Dry spell, you've still got your insurance, tax and whatever else to pay for. Get your accounting wrong and you're in trouble with HMRC.
And not to mention the price of diesel at the minute. Its hard to get a nice profit margin anyway when other more established firms can afford to undercut your rates.
if you factor your on a hiding to nuffin before you start you sub for someone who says they take 10% but really more like 20%+ then factor company take 5% plus hold 15% for a month till they get paid you lost nearly a third of the job before you start
alpine xf 95

Post by alpine xf 95 »

Thats right way to look at things, You can only realy regret something you have done, That is the way i have looked at life, no use at the end thinking if only its to late lol.
I had 50 years as an Owner Driver, Would i do it again Yes i would, What you need is Direct Work only Sub to fill in if need be i found quite often it was better to have a day off though, I found once you have worked direct they allways seem to find you work ( Thats if you are any good lol ) of fear you F/O somewhere else.
alpine xf 95

Post by alpine xf 95 »

Working for them companys ? You where not an Owner Driver lol as you had No Control on what you could or could not do ??
All you were was a Driver straped up with a load of problems / Debt ffs, Them Companys are not worth a Wank as they Control YOU,

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”