Evening. Where does everyone get their Toolbox Talk material?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

AlkyAlan

Re: Evening. Where does everyone get their Toolbox Talk material?

Post by AlkyAlan »

FORS, DVLA HSE
paunium

Post by paunium »

Make your own, specifically tailored to your needs
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

paunium wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 pm Make your own, specifically tailored to your needs
but I need some reference material, to ensure I'm putting over the correct message. I could just pluck subjects from the air. But, what benefit would that be?
JiggyCute

Post by JiggyCute »

Martynet wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:46 pm
paunium wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 pm Make your own, specifically tailored to your needs
but I need some reference material, to ensure I'm putting over the correct message. I could just pluck subjects from the air. But, what benefit would that be?
are you looking for ideas for subject matter? Or material that relates to subjects you already have in mind?
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

JiggyCute wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:46 pm
are you looking for ideas for subject matter? Or material that relates to subjects you already have in mind?
Hi Jiggy, a little bit of A and a little bit of B, if I'm honest.
SteveTuch

Post by SteveTuch »

Martynet wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:47 pm
JiggyCute wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:46 pm

Hi Jiggy, a little bit of A and a little bit of B, if I'm honest.
I create and curate DCPC material for an established training provider, I'm happy to give some pointers. if you like. Here's three examples to be going in with:
Bridge Strikes TBT, lots of material available via Network Rail, free e-learning Bridge Strikes course from FORS (membership not required) or Road Skills Online
Mobile Phones TBT, all required info from https://www.gov.uk/ or more industry specific from https://www.rtitb.com/using-a-mobile-ph ... -changing/ Load Security - several videos on DVSA's YouTube channel plus lots of content at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/securing-lo ... s-vehicles Lots of people have open access their powerpoint creations; pick a subject and web search it with "powerpoint" in the search string
You'll definitely benefit from creating your own material rather than simply farming the task out to a third party.
Stekeebosi

Post by Stekeebosi »

Flagship Paartners,
Pete Rushmer
Simonwalk

Post by Simonwalk »

Their TM usually - it's their job to source, create and (usually) brief
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

Simonwalk wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:51 pm Their TM usually - it's their job to source, create and (usually) brief
Great idea, I'll just go and...
Oh, hold on, I'm the bloody ETM!
The one looking for new source material...
Partinte

Post by Partinte »

We can supply tool box talks to meet your requirement. Please give us a call.
https://partingtonstc.co.uk/
owensign

Post by owensign »

Write your own.
Donogix

Post by Donogix »

FORS website
personalth

Post by personalth »

Do your own but you can get some off Google for inspiration.
We do walk round check toolbox talk, manual handling and so on. All pretty straightforward.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

personalth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:54 pm Do your own but you can get some off Google for inspiration.
We do walk round check toolbox talk, manual handling and so on. All pretty straightforward.
why not do it through the CPC route?
personalth

Post by personalth »

irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:55 pm
personalth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:54 pm Do your own but you can get some off Google for inspiration.
logistics. We send drivers off at different times to do cpc. We do whatever subjects on offer from our provider.
toolbox talks at 20-30 mins per time can be slotted in for all staff as and when required and satisfies our h&s assessment.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

personalth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:55 pm
logistics. We send drivers off at different times to do cpc. We do whatever subjects on offer from our provider.
toolbox talks at 20-30 mins per time can be slotted in for all staff as and when required and satisfies our h&s assessment.
go to your provider and ask them to incorporate your TBT into the course then everyone’s happy.
personalth

Post by personalth »

irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:56 pm
personalth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:55 pm

go to your provider and ask them to incorporate your TBT into the course then everyone’s happy.
we only have a handful of drivers. We do cpc training sporadically and usually one or two drivers at once.
So not really in a position to dictate course content.
Easier to do targeted toolbox talks, which are required for our hs assessments anyway, as well as cpc training.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

Question?
Why do tool box talks?
Do your research and approach a reputable CPC provider to Design a course covering your needs?
The driver has to be in the classroom for 7hrs once a year this covers two aspects.
As a CPC provider if wish to PM myself I am willing to discuss this further.
SteveTuch

Post by SteveTuch »

irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:57 pm Question?
Why do tool box talks?
Do your research and approach a reputable CPC provider to Design a course covering your needs?
The driver has to be in the classroom for 7hrs once a year this covers two aspects.
One reason to opt for TBT is the reaction from the drivers:
full day of mandatory DCPC = "Do we have to? Grooooannnnnn"
Short (say 20 mins) TBT "No probs boss, as long as we're still getting paid and I can bring a cuppa".
Another is that Martynet can make this stuff for free (apart from time costs), whereas a custom DCPC will incur costs, not least of all the £252 approval fee, but also development costs. Certainly if he came to our company there would be these costs associated.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

SteveTuch wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:58 pm
Why do tool box talks?
Short (say 20 mins) TBT "No probs boss, as long as we're still getting paid and I can bring a cuppa".
Another is that Martynet can make this stuff for free (apart from time costs), whereas a custom DCPC will incur costs, not least of all the £252 approval fee, but also development costs. Certainly if he came to our company there would be these costs associated.
why?
The cost has already been put up to register the course. The legal content is the same for everyone, images and some paperwork may change for each company.
But the real cost (creed) comes from the charges companies and individuals add on.
SteveTuch

Post by SteveTuch »

irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:59 pm
SteveTuch wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:58 pm
Why do tool box talks?
why?
The cost has already been put up to register the course. The legal content is the same for everyone, images and some paperwork may change for each company.
But the real cost (creed) comes from the charges companies and individuals add on.
I'm describing a new course, specifically customized to an individual operators needs, a new approval process with Jaupt, with the associated costs.
I'm not referring to cherry-picking material from existing approved courses to create a one-off customized course; this would be "unofficial" and wouldn't pass muster with a Jaupt EV, they only care about the delivered course matching the Lesson Plan they have in front of them for that specific course number which has been registered as the course to be delivered that day.
Yes, it's possible to run a customized course by cherry picking, (I've done this previously) and upload it using the details of an existing course, but only if the absence of unwanted visitors.
BillStill

Post by BillStill »

Make my own relevant to the operation.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

BillStill wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:00 pm Make my own relevant to the operation.
so true
But that’s were it stops.
Greed takes over
If people (employers, drivers and so called training providers) stopped winging about the cost and approach a reputable provider (I put myself in that category) and discussed their needs, there is simple ways to resolve a lot of the problems and misconceptions about CPC and traing in general.
It’s so simple an issue to work round, but that’s the problem.
karense

Post by karense »

irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:00 pm
BillStill wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:00 pm Make my own relevant to the operation.
so true
Greed takes over
If people (employers, drivers and so called training providers) stopped winging about the cost and approach a reputable provider (I put myself in that category) and discussed their needs, there is simple ways to resolve a lot of the problems and misconceptions about CPC and traing in general.
"So-called training providers"? Versus "Reputable providers"? Who gets to make that value judgement?
And since when did any training provider complain about costs? We're the ones who apply the costs to the operator/driver.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

karense wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:01 pm
so true
Greed takes over
"So-called training providers"? Versus "Reputable providers"? Who gets to make that value judgement?
And since when did any training provider complain about costs? We're the ones who apply the costs to the operator/driver.
the provider just has to listen to the feedback, make it entertaining and interesting.
Question would be happy listening to yourself?
The cost, as soon as the clients start to question the cost for what they receive?
karense

Post by karense »

irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:02 pm

so true
Greed takes over
the provider just has to listen to the feedback, make it entertaining and interesting.
The cost, as soon as the clients start to question the cost for what they receive?
That reply doesn't address the issues I spoke of.
Regardless, going back to Martynet's original request, I see one member has posted some links to specific sources of information for specific topics, enough for Martynet to make a start on creating material for his own training portfolio, which is far more preferable for any committed TM than simply farming out training to a third party.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

karense wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:06 pm

Regardless, going back to Martynet's original request, I see one member has posted some links to specific sources of information for specific topics, enough for Martynet to make a start on creating material for his own training portfolio, which is far more preferable for any committed TM than simply farming out training to a third party.
it would be interesting how you would incorporate mandatory pass or fail tests? When the driver has already passed the DVSA standard to drive.
I think that could help fuel the driver shortage.
I think a CPD system where a standard of improvement can be shown may be more acceptable to the industry.
karense

Post by karense »

irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:07 pm

it would be interesting how you would incorporate mandatory pass or fail tests? When the driver has already passed the DVSA standard to drive.
I think a CPD system where a standard of improvement can be shown may be more acceptable to the industry.
ADR has mandatory pass or fail exams, works simply and effectively. A driver passing their multiple initial tests means little over time, standards fall, disrespect for the law becomes commonplace. Many occupations require the workers to requalify, DCPC is a poor quality means of achieving that.
The driver shortage is largely media hype; there's no shortage of qualified drivers but there is a shortage of qualified drivers who hauliers would wish to employ.
DCPC was a half-decent idea but deployed extrememely poorly, it now has a consequently negative image amongst drivers which is hard to dispel. Every course has to contain a segment of "mythbusting" because of the poor initial deployment.
Haulage is an essential industry but needs a major overhaul from top to bottom to bring it up to date, but that is too large a topic for this morning.
irvinol

Post by irvinol »

karense wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:09 pm
irvinol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:07 pm

ADR has mandatory pass or fail exams, works simply and effectively. A driver passing their multiple initial tests means little over time, standards fall, disrespect for the law becomes commonplace. Many occupations require the workers to requalify, DCPC is a poor quality means of achieving that.
The driver shortage is largely media hype; there's no shortage of qualified drivers but there is a shortage of qualified drivers who hauliers would wish to employ.
DCPC was a half-decent idea but deployed extrememely poorly, it now has a consequently negative image amongst drivers which is hard to dispel. Every course has to contain a segment of "mythbusting" because of the poor initial deployment.
Haulage is an essential industry but needs a major overhaul from top to bottom to bring it up to date, but that is too large a topic for this morning.
I think all trainers would agree 7hrs for a CPC course is to long especially for the older more experienced driver.
We as trainers may some day have an input, but I think that’s way off yet.
As a driver I can’t see the sense in doing something twice regardless of the time, you have to find the right level for information to be give and time allowed to absorb the info.
There’s plenty of information out there on all the general topics that need to be covered from H&S speeding, mobile phones, drink & drugs and updates on your own company policies. You are the best person to research that info & pass it on to your staff

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”