We are moving company and have put our van driver through class 2 training and test and paid for all the expenses.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
alerap_ben

We are moving company and have put our van driver through class 2 training and test and paid for all the expenses.

Post by alerap_ben »

We are moving company and have put our van driver through class 2 training and test and paid for all the expenses. We want driver to sign a contract that he can’t leave our company for at least a year so we get our investment worth the while. Any one got a draft contract copy for our driver to sign?
tyre6rtso

Re: We are moving company and have put our van driver through class 2 training and test and paid for all the expenses.

Post by tyre6rtso »

I’m not sure you can insist he doesn’t leave within a year although have a look at putting in a claw back clause for the fees if they are to leave within a year
zorania

Re: We are moving company and have put our van driver through class 2 training and test and paid for all the expenses.

Post by zorania »

Hi. Just to note that you cannot force anyone to stay for a year but you can make a small agreement that you will deduct some amount of his salary if he does leave earlier than you require. Also it will be super hard to enforce payment via courts if you cannot deduct the amount from his salary.
alundp

Post by alundp »

I think you should’ve done that before paying out
pligwort

Post by pligwort »

Total waste of time. No court would uphold such a restrictive contract. And how would you enforce it should he choose to leave? You chose to put him through the test for the benefit of your business.
Jalixiato

Post by Jalixiato »

Bit late as he has already done his class 2
HarNess

Post by HarNess »

Do a training agreement, reduce the cost over a fixed period
KyleXo

Post by KyleXo »

I worked for a company that put me through my class 2. I signed something that if I left within the first 2 years after passing my test, I would pay the full amount. They tried to get me to do all sorts of illegal stuff. So I left. They demanded the full amount before I left. I couldn't pay it in full. I'm quite a reasonable man so I offered them £50 a week until the full amount was paid. Paid it less than a year.
I've known people take training and leave and then refuse to pay. The company has to take them to court to try to get money back at the expense of the company.
If investing in stocks you're at risk of losing your full investment. The same risks applies to investing in your employees.
I'm not saying it is impossible for you to claim it back. I would be more focused on the reasons the employee would want to leave. Are wages below industry standards for a driver? What's the work culture like?
rogerson

Post by rogerson »

KyleXo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:27 pm I worked for a company that put me through my class 2. I signed something that if I left within the first 2 years after passing my test, I would pay the full amount. They tried to get me to do all sorts of illegal stuff. So I left. They demanded the full amount before I left. I couldn't pay it in full. I'm quite a reasonable man so I offered them £50 a week until the full amount was paid. Paid it less than a year.
I've known people take training and leave and then refuse to pay. The company has to take them to court to try to get money back at the expense of the company.
If investing in stocks you're at risk of losing your full investment. The same risks applies to investing in your employees.
I'm not saying it is impossible for you to claim it back. I would be more focused on the reasons the employee would want to leave. Are wages below industry standards for a driver? What's the work culture like?
your best bet would have been to threaten to blow the whistle on them to the TCO they'd soon forget about your training expenses 🤣
KyleXo

Post by KyleXo »

rogerson wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:28 pm
KyleXo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:27 pm I worked for a company that put me through my class 2. I signed something that if I left within the first 2 years after passing my test, I would pay the full amount. They tried to get me to do all sorts of illegal stuff. So I left. They demanded the full amount before I left. I couldn't pay it in full. I'm quite a reasonable man so I offered them £50 a week until the full amount was paid. Paid it less than a year.
your best bet would have been to threaten to blow the whistle on them to the TCO they'd soon forget about your training expenses 🤣
to be honest with all the faults, the company employed me during a difficult patch in my life and trained me up. Can't fault them for that.
rogerson

Post by rogerson »

KyleXo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:28 pm
rogerson wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:28 pm
to be honest with all the faults, the company employed me during a difficult patch in my life and trained me up. Can't fault them for that.
fair enough, always two sides to every circumstance. Both sound like honorable parties 👍👍
vimalle88

Post by vimalle88 »

few things: law is not in our side as employers. Drivers are most unprofessional and ungrateful people (I accept not all are same but you will have more bad experiences than good ones). I have done this in my past and drivers threatened to pull me to tribunal courts for literally £300 quid. Their argument will always be company environment not being good, employer asking to do illegal driving and so on. Tribunal court is free for employees. So if you haven’t already invested in these people my advice stay away. Hire good exp class 2. Your vehicles will be safer and better productivity. If you have done the investment than try to recoup it in 3 months or so. They won’t get a jobs as class 2 driver anywhere with less than 3 months/6months experience so more likely to stay. Sorry if I sound bitter but it’s a reality nice guys get screwed more in today’s world.
chrisen

Post by chrisen »

vimalle88 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:31 pm few things: law is not in our side as employers. Drivers are most unprofessional and ungrateful people (I accept not all are same but you will have more bad experiences than good ones). I have done this in my past and drivers threatened to pull me to tribunal courts for literally £300 quid. Their argument will always be company environment not being good, employer asking to do illegal driving and so on. Tribunal court is free for employees. So if you haven’t already invested in these people my advice stay away. Hire good exp class 2. Your vehicles will be safer and better productivity. If you have done the investment than try to recoup it in 3 months or so. They won’t get a jobs as class 2 driver anywhere with less than 3 months/6months experience so more likely to stay. Sorry if I sound bitter but it’s a reality nice guys get screwed more in today’s world.
wow what a disappointing post. I hope no one wants to drive for you!
Neligit

Post by Neligit »

chrisen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:31 pm
vimalle88 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:31 pm few things: law is not in our side as employers. Drivers are most unprofessional and ungrateful people (I accept not all are same but you will have more bad experiences than good ones). I have done this in my past and drivers threatened to pull me to tribunal courts for literally £300 quid. Their argument will always be company environment not being good, employer asking to do illegal driving and so on. Tribunal court is free for employees. So if you haven’t already invested in these people my advice stay away. Hire good exp class 2. Your vehicles will be safer and better productivity. If you have done the investment than try to recoup it in 3 months or so. They won’t get a jobs as class 2 driver anywhere with less than 3 months/6months experience so more likely to stay. Sorry if I sound bitter but it’s a reality nice guys get screwed more in today’s world.
i worked for him, he is a good guy, a lot of drivers are piss takers.
chrisen

Post by chrisen »

Neligit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 pm
as many “managers” are too!
Neligit

Post by Neligit »

chrisen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 pm
Neligit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 pm

as many “managers” are too!
i am a driver, I has seen both sides.
vimalle88

Post by vimalle88 »

I appreciate your sentiments but truth is bitter unfortunately
marketti

Post by marketti »

I'd refuse to sign in, especially if it wasn't agreed beforehand.
If your worried about a driver leaving, 1st off look at the company, most drivers leave because of bad practice, daft work loads, or awful wages. This is what I find anyway. So if all those are good, most likely you'll be safe.
benines

Post by benines »

We never ask drivers to sign these. You want someone working for you because they want to, not because they’re forced to. Be a good employer and they won’t want to leave anyway.
jamsky

Post by jamsky »

Unfortunately nothing you can really do post training however I would look at the contracts of all your employees and maybe have a clause regarding training paid for by the company. If an employee was to leave before a certain period (defined by you) then they are to pay back costs on a sliding scale. Also you can put in there if they fail to complete they have to pay you back.
chrisen

Post by chrisen »

jamsky wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:35 pm Unfortunately nothing you can really do post training however I would look at the contracts of all your employees and maybe have a clause regarding training paid for by the company. If an employee was to leave before a certain period (defined by you) then they are to pay back costs on a sliding scale. Also you can put in there if they fail to complete they have to pay you back.
couple of points with your response; you can’t have a clause regarding all training but a clause regarding an upgrade in order to get the employee on to a higher grade job (with an amended contract) is reasonable.
It should be defined, time limited and reasonable bearing in mind the benefit to both parties.
It does not take much at all for a tribunal to cancel a clause.
Leaving a week after a course on how to use a pallet truck would be considered fair, so unreasonable to charge whereas leaving a month after a HGV course and test might not, but no one can stop someone leaving.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

The horse has bolted, no point shutting the door now.
Stekeebosi

Post by Stekeebosi »

Pay him a decent wage, be good to him and he won't want to leave. You get back what you put in! Treat them like an assett.
jomud

Post by jomud »

Unenforceable. A company I worked for put LOADS of drivers through tests, adr, hiab, tried to recover the money on odd occasions when the owner got annoyed, only probably once out of twenty, got a court to agree with him, but got a quid a week or something. I believe mostly, the agreements are not legal as its a form of credit, they are mostly (so will what you are looking for) badly composed and not notarized, also, if the company gains some benefit from it, it is repaid!
The onus should be on the company, to know its staff well enough to only chose those who have 100% commitment before spending money on training, rather than look at how they can mitigate bad decisions.
Last year I was asked to put drivers for a certain company through their C&E, as they had trouble recruiting. I told them they would be better off looking at the root f the problem, rather than becoming a training centre for every local company.
lee+rmyami

Post by lee+rmyami »

If you have already put him through he has no reason to sign it
Grahible

Post by Grahible »

You could have put him through the government skills boot camps and get it for free upto C+E
lexxam52

Post by lexxam52 »

Treat the driver right and he/she will stay. Treat him/her like crap and you’ll be finding another one.
wa+erUpfor

Post by wa+erUpfor »

Companies should be responsible for paying and training staff members and then if you pay and treat your staff correctly you might be shown some loyalty.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”