Is there any ex coppers on the forum that know the laws on speeding on a private road? Speed past the coppers this

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
AndryUrman

Is there any ex coppers on the forum that know the laws on speeding on a private road? Speed past the coppers this

Post by AndryUrman »

Is there any ex coppers on the forum that know the laws on speeding on a private road? Speed past the coppers this morning on the way to work they came to work to talk to me and issued me a section 59. Did argue the fact that I was on a private road he said it needed to be gated which is from the roundabout for about a mile. They regularly sit there having a break but being on private property don’t see how they have the authority to do anything! He claimed because the gate is open giving public access means the laws are still in place.
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (156.54 KiB) Viewed 330 times
cramarcom

Re: Is there any ex coppers on the forum that know the laws on speeding on a private road? Speed past the coppers this

Post by cramarcom »

Police ar correct. If the public have access you are done for.
Paunate

Re: Is there any ex coppers on the forum that know the laws on speeding on a private road? Speed past the coppers this

Post by Paunate »

Y speed to get to work . . On the way home yes but not on the way in ffs
adamPolyBob

Post by adamPolyBob »

Paunate wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:38 pm Y speed to get to work . . On the way home yes but not on the way in ffs
thats my way of thinking hahahaha 😆 👍
markqasi55

Post by markqasi55 »

Paunate wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:38 pm Y speed to get to work . . On the way home yes but not on the way in ffs
Fact !! 😆
marginfo8

Post by marginfo8 »

A long time ago i was stopped for riding a motorbike on a dirt track and was told because it connected to a public highway i could get a fine but they let me off
anding

Post by anding »

It’s only a section 59 ignore it but keep a eye out for 12 months 👍
Deeg_Mac

Post by Deeg_Mac »

Does a private road have a speed limit?
brenRhay

Post by brenRhay »

Any road that’s publicly accessible including those by a charge and car parks all come under the road traffic act
pumaxi

Post by pumaxi »

brenRhay wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:53 pm Any road that’s publicly accessible including those by a charge and car parks all come under the road traffic act
can also be on private land.
brancom

Post by brancom »

Id be happy with a section 59, rather than points fine and possibly court
micittard

Post by micittard »

And why would you speed past a copper in the first place lol
LongRpg

Post by LongRpg »

daless23 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:56 pm How fast were u going.
quiet down then.
daless23

Post by daless23 »

LongRpg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:57 pm
daless23 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:56 pm How fast were u going.
quiet down then.
lol yes boss.
coxt8ergo

Post by coxt8ergo »

Ask for the calibration certificate and proof of the excess speed
Timefer

Post by Timefer »

coxt8ergo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:00 pm Ask for the calibration certificate and proof of the excess speed
section 59 was not for excess speed. Was for driving in careless/inconsiderate manner.
LISEONE

Post by LISEONE »

Timefer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:01 pm
coxt8ergo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:00 pm Ask for the calibration certificate and proof of the excess speed
section 59 was not for excess speed. Was for driving in careless/inconsiderate manner.
speeding is careless driving..not taking into consideration the dangers imposed by doing so.
Timefer

Post by Timefer »

LISEONE wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:04 pm
Timefer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:01 pm
speeding is careless driving..not taking into consideration the dangers imposed by doing so.
I know that but the comment I replied to mentioned camera calibration which
MicRonz

Post by MicRonz »

usually calibrated at the start of every shift in accordance with home office guidelines.
64-simonazi

Post by 64-simonazi »

It's a section 59 - a verbal/written warning (slap on the wrist in old money) accept it and move on 💁
Iddoner-Lo

Post by Iddoner-Lo »

64-simonazi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:08 pm It's a section 59 - a verbal/written warning (slap on the wrist in old money) accept it and move on 💁
never ..as its like 2 strikes. The next one and your out!
LongRpg

Post by LongRpg »

One of my exes dad was a copper. I claimed the ‘private land’ thing once with him. He quoted something like ‘yes, private land, to which the public have access. The Road Traffic Act still applies.’
gayonGang

Post by gayonGang »

LongRpg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:14 pm One of my exes dad was a copper. I claimed the ‘private land’ thing once with him. He quoted something like ‘yes, private land, to which the public have access. The Road Traffic Act still applies.’
god help the motorsport world..get a couple of coppers in the crowd with speed guns..they will be on a right good screw🤣
lawixey06

Post by lawixey06 »

Lesson to be learnt from this is, don’t speed.
Question though is, if it’s a private road does it have a speed limit displayed. !!
wiffenti

Post by wiffenti »

lawixey06 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm Lesson to be learnt from this is, don’t speed.
Question though is, if it’s a private road does it have a speed limit displayed. !!
doesn't necessarily need one. 30mph if unsigned and built up area
lawixey06

Post by lawixey06 »

wiffenti wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm
lawixey06 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm Lesson to be learnt from this is, don’t speed.
thanks I didn’t know the answer.
BlackPong

Post by BlackPong »

someone been on a speed awareness course 🤣
wiffenti

Post by wiffenti »

BlackPong wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:23 pm
not me, never been caught
BlackPong

Post by BlackPong »

wiffenti wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:24 pm

it's 1 of the first things they tell you I got caught 37 in a 30 a momentary lapse in concentration going past a camera
HaressVotress

Post by HaressVotress »

like your honesty 😉
davityco

Post by davityco »

Great answer
Never been caught
wiffenti

Post by wiffenti »

davityco wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:26 pm

Great answer
Never been caught
it's true. Sometimes it can't be helped and you get done. I've been very lucky so far, quite a few times I probably deserved to be done but somehow avoided it, by luck/chance etc, but mainly by speeding "appropriately" and not driving like a knob
RiSerene

Post by RiSerene »

The offence was not for speeding. The ticket gives the reason.
AllTainted

Post by AllTainted »

Covered by the Road Traffic Act 1988 s.192(1)
Krankield

Post by Krankield »

Has to be a public road, i.e a road that is accessible to the public (not gated etc) AND owned by the public (the council etc).
John.Canque

Post by John.Canque »

Krankield wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:31 pm Has to be a public road, i.e a road that is accessible to the public (not gated etc) AND owned by the public (the council etc).
and maintained at public expense?
Kylessor

Post by Kylessor »

Krankield wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:31 pm Has to be a public road, i.e a road that is accessible to the public (not gated etc) AND owned by the public (the council etc).
they can still issue a S59 on private land they usually hand them out to boy racers in car parks
MicRonz

Post by MicRonz »

stop making things up 😂
parkwi

Post by parkwi »

If there is a gate open or shut it is not subject to traffic laws if private property. Also did the coppers have permission to use private property to take a break.
AliFerdy

Post by AliFerdy »

parkwi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:34 pm If there is a gate open or shut it is not subject to traffic laws if private property. Also did the coppers have permission to use private property to take a break.
just curious- if they’re actually on their break - does it have to be restarted as per wtd if they interrupt it to do someone 🤔😂
76paullopex

Post by 76paullopex »

Agree, if the public have unrestricted access the road traffic act applies.
If there was a gate that could be shut to prevent access, the road traffic act would not apply.
Never come across the fact that it has to be in public ownership
MicRonz

Post by MicRonz »

76paullopex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm Agree, if the public have unrestricted access the road traffic act applies.
If there was a gate that could be shut to prevent access, the road traffic act would not apply.
I love random made up facts like this.
You need to consider 4 little words in the legislation..... "At the material time".
Doesn't matter if it has gates or not If they are open at the time of an alleged offence.
76paullopex

Post by 76paullopex »

MicRonz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:36 pm
76paullopex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm Agree, if the public have unrestricted access the road traffic act applies.
You need to consider 4 little words in the legislation..... "At the material time".
Doesn't matter if it has gates or not If they are open at the time of an alleged offence.
glad somebody has an understanding of the issues. Is it possible you could shed some light on the speed limit issue, think we would all find that useful
MicRonz

Post by MicRonz »

76paullopex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:36 pm
glad somebody has an understanding of the issues. Is it possible you could shed some light on the speed limit issue, think we would all find that useful
the speed limit would be for the type of road and would be dictated by street furniture, not necessarily signage.
MicRonz

Post by MicRonz »

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
neacee-lux

Post by neacee-lux »

MicRonz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:37 pm

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
yup got taught this on my bus license lamp posts telegraph poles etc.
Garis_Oner

Post by Garis_Oner »

If it was a controlled barrier yes if not it’s still law of the land
Frankoo

Post by Frankoo »

Why speed in the first place?
Jammsta

Post by Jammsta »

Frankoo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:40 pm Why speed in the first place?
why not speed? Who cares really
jonowy462

Post by jonowy462 »

Yes,if public have access to to it there within their rights!
Elizee2067

Post by Elizee2067 »

Haha boy racer only they ever get given a 59! Lol 😂 must have been driving one of them limited edition corsas lol 😂
pauezzati53

Post by pauezzati53 »

I think it is far better than a speeding fine. Take it on the chin and stop debating it an slow down I had to
sp.smitary

Post by sp.smitary »

Must be gated for private road with gates or barrier where the public have access to it it then becomes public
Rolee-jinn

Post by Rolee-jinn »

you must have realy pissed them off. Did one of em spill his tea when you sped past them lol
SSamuellyn4

Post by SSamuellyn4 »

Regardless of ownership if the public have access the same laws apply
WhitPPoon

Post by WhitPPoon »

Open gate means it’s an extension of the highway, so he’s right. Also means you can’t get done for trespassing
Lucasch

Post by Lucasch »

If any part of a vehicle is on a road, even where it is partly or mostly on some other private land, the vehicle is treated as being on a road. To fall within the Road Traffic Act the road must be one to which the public have access.
76paullopex

Post by 76paullopex »

Maybe the question is.....what speed limit was in force?
In theory to be a 30 there either has to be streetlights, or 30 repeater signs.
Of course in this situation it may be deemed that the speed limit is the same as the limit on the public road it joins.....who knows?
385.luismood

Post by 385.luismood »

A public road, for policing purposes, is any road to which the public has access to.
Who owns it, and any features present such as signage or gates are irrelevant.
But I can’t help but comment, for any copper to feel aggrieved to the point of going out of his way to give you an irrelevance such as a s. 59, and it’s associated paperwork later in the office, your road posture must have been stellar 👌
usher2otze

Post by usher2otze »

I got given a section 59 other month but received mo paperwork?🤔
Grahoyer

Post by Grahoyer »

No coppers know the law, that's why they become Truck drivers. 🤣
Arnoll.Rich

Post by Arnoll.Rich »

Says careless/inconsiderate manner 🤔
1344-harpo

Post by 1344-harpo »

Its a sec59.
As far as im aware that's just a bollocking.
Take it and move on.
Be careful picking your battles.
No points no fine.
You obviously weren't paying attention otherwise you would of seen them.
rabne_port

Post by rabne_port »

I’d put a gate up and if they were inside I’d lock it, then speed past them.
Omaro2068

Post by Omaro2068 »

Most private road has no name so if there is no name you can’t be issued with a ticket of any sort
finlan+das

Post by finlan+das »

We’re you driving a chavved up Corsa??? 😜
RaulandPho

Post by RaulandPho »

If you read it properly it’s a warning that’s all , so no further action required, although you didn’t sign the paperwork maybe in contravention itself and liable for prosecution, but in this case they only act if you contravene section 59 again which would give them power to seize the vehicle
lam9intech

Post by lam9intech »

Most lightly that they didn’t clock you on a gun or radar speeding so can’t prosecute for that, so they’ve probably issued you this section 59 instead for “your manner of driving” it happened to one of my mates
STitchands

Post by STitchands »

Look for Lee sutherland on tiktok. He'll sort you out
Leeflex

Post by Leeflex »

Was your speed measured on their Eyeometer
Oat2free

Post by Oat2free »

A private Rd is only classed as private if there is a barrier at the start of it and that it is closed so no access by the public..

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”