Good morning all, What are drivers views of in cab cameras please?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
jasonncujo

Re: Good morning all, What are drivers views of in cab cameras please?

Post by jasonncujo »

I’ve worked for 2 companies with them maritime and Keedwells’s the Keedwells’s one was run from a company in America so if you brake harshly or accelerate hard your score for your bonus drops, but I was told most of the time the office don’t have the time to monitor the warnings it also switches off with the ignition.
RowAlly

Post by RowAlly »

Every cab will have them fitted eventually. Hate the idea of them even though I see the reason for them.
lyno.fluent

Post by lyno.fluent »

When the office staff get cameras over their desks pointed at them I will consider them, until then No. The truck has a 4 camera recording system, the vans don't, the managers cars don't, was driving for jewsons a couple of year's ago covered the internal camera by " drying my coats" on the passenger seat 👍🤣😄
TAGGeRGO

Post by TAGGeRGO »

Part of your contract is based on mutual trust between both parties… if they need in cab cams they’re clearly not showing trust in their employees!!! 😤
shamo.2089

Post by shamo.2089 »

It’s against the law for them to record your voice it’s invasion of privacy and it’s not aloud
Aldrow.Hart

Post by Aldrow.Hart »

shamo.2089 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 pm It’s against the law for them to record your voice it’s invasion of privacy and it’s not aloud
yep hundred percent correct me old mucker lol
bregss2075

Post by bregss2075 »

shamo.2089 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 pm It’s against the law for them to record your voice it’s invasion of privacy and it’s not aloud
you’d think so but it’s not it’s wrong on so many levels like u say recording voice and invasion of privacy it’s Bollocks no drivers for these firms in next 5 year if they don’t prove otherwise insurance purposes etc nowt to do with that it’s spying on people company’s have there favs as well all know
Lecom.guatt

Post by Lecom.guatt »

It's the future, you may need it one day to help prove your innocence, if you're driving and on your phone then you're asking for trouble, it protects the employer and the employee, I've had them from day1 and to be honest when a banger comes on the radio you forget they are there and rock around the cab like no one is watching 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
aubreeThere

Post by aubreeThere »

Lecom.guatt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 pm It's the future, you may need it one day to help prove your innocence, if you're driving and on your phone then you're asking for trouble, it protects the employer and the employee, I've had them from day1 and to be honest when a banger comes on the radio you forget they are there and rock around the cab like no one is watching 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
apart from the fact by law you are innocent until proven guilty. Its not your job to prove innocence. Its their responsibility to prove you have done wrong
Lecom.guatt

Post by Lecom.guatt »

aubreeThere wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 pm
Lecom.guatt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 pm It's the future, you may need it one day to help prove your innocence, if you're driving and on your phone then you're asking for trouble, it protects the employer and the employee, I've had them from day1 and to be honest when a banger comes on the radio you forget they are there and rock around the cab like no one is watching 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
apart from the fact by law you are innocent until proven guilty. Its not your job to prove innocence. Its their responsibility to prove you have done wrong
valid point, but if someone decides they want to brake check me for whatever reason, I'd rather have it on dashcam than not.. like Matt Picton I have a button box on the system in my truck that allows me to turn it off when the engine isn't running..
aubreeThere

Post by aubreeThere »

Lecom.guatt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 pm
valid point, but if someone decides they want to brake check me for whatever reason, I'd rather have it on dashcam than not.. like Matt Picton I have a button box on the system in my truck that allows me to turn it off when the engine isn't running..
front facing or external cameras are not an issue. I fit my own dash cam when driving for my protection. A camera pointed at me does not show what i can see or not. Therefore does not protect me. But are regularly mis used by employers to micro manage. That i have issues with.
Lecom.guatt

Post by Lecom.guatt »

aubreeThere wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 pm

front facing or external cameras are not an issue. I fit my own dash cam when driving for my protection. A camera pointed at me does not show what i can see or not. Therefore does not protect me. But are regularly mis used by employers to micro manage. That i have issues with.
fair enough, I have a camera on the passengers A-pillar facing me and one forward facing, I forget they're their half of the time, I'm not model driver, but I keep it legal, so in my eyes they're no real issue being there.. also, if the worst happens and I end up dead then their will be a full explanation for my family..
Basically I believe they have a place, as long as you can switch them off in your own time in the truck then it's fine.. also legally they cannot access the footage unless their is a 'trigger' as such.
aubreeThere

Post by aubreeThere »

Lecom.guatt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 pm

fair enough, I have a camera on the passengers A-pillar facing me and one forward facing, I forget they're their half of the time, I'm not model driver, but I keep it legal, so in my eyes they're no real issue being there.. also, if the worst happens and I end up dead then their will be a full explanation for my family..
Basically I believe they have a place, as long as you can switch them off in your own time in the truck then it's fine.. also legally they cannot access the footage unless their is a 'trigger' as such.
i worked for a fairly big company that swapped the sd cards out when downloading the tacho. Sd was then reviewed without the trigger being recorded. Luckily for them only external facing cameras but they didnt like some of the comments made while cameras recording lol
Lecom.guatt

Post by Lecom.guatt »

aubreeThere wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm
Lecom.guatt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 pm

i worked for a fairly big company that swapped the sd cards out when downloading the tacho. Sd was then reviewed without the trigger being recorded. Luckily for them only external facing cameras but they didnt like some of the comments made while cameras recording lol
that sounds sh**e, I know ours are remote downloaded if there is an 'event' I made the mistake of taking out my phone on my first week, I was in walking pace traffic and i crossed the white line of the hard shoulder (set off the lane departure). I got a text from my compliance manager with a picture of me looking at my phone telling me next time it would be a disciplinary..
I learned my lesson, got a phone holder and now no longer go near my phone whilst driving..
1619.arris

Post by 1619.arris »

I’ve just left a job because of it.
We had the Samsara system fitted.
Do a harsh brake a 10 second clip gets emailed to transport.
Do a harsh corner a 10 second clip gets emailed to transport.
Following too close (closing the gap ready to overtake) the camera warns you 3 times, if you don’t back off it emails a 10 second clip to transport.
Reach for you cup out the cup holder it warns you for inattentive driving and emails a clip to transport.
At anytime the Tm can look at what you are doing, it takes a still photo every 2 mins.
My phone bounced out of my holder when I hit a bad pothole so I stupidly leaned forward and put it bk in the holder, camera took a photo and sent it to transport, I copped a final written warning for gross misconduct and lost out on a £1500 annual bonus as you are not entitled to it when you have a live disciplinary on ur file.
harv8hnes

Post by harv8hnes »

1619.arris wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm I’ve just left a job because of it.
We had the Samsara system fitted.
Do a harsh brake a 10 second clip gets emailed to transport.
Do a harsh corner a 10 second clip gets emailed to transport.
Following too close (closing the gap ready to overtake) the camera warns you 3 times, if you don’t back off it emails a 10 second clip to transport.
Reach for you cup out the cup holder it warns you for inattentive driving and emails a clip to transport.
At anytime the Tm can look at what you are doing, it takes a still photo every 2 mins.
My phone bounced out of my holder when I hit a bad pothole so I stupidly leaned forward and put it bk in the holder, camera took a photo and sent it to transport, I copped a final written warning for gross misconduct and lost out on a £1500 annual bonus as you are not entitled to it when you have a live disciplinary on ur file.
I would have done the same with that nonsense
Craigrons

Post by Craigrons »

Outside cameras agree with , inside is a total no ! A company I kno uses a system that records for 30 mins after ignition turned off . So if your tramping and do a 15 , you’ve got to wait 30 mins to strip and wipe your arse crack with baby wipes in a lay-by .. if they want a system that stays active you should be paid till the cameras power down totally as imo you still can’t start your daily rest correctly!
bregss2075

Post by bregss2075 »

Filming in a cab without consent shove it Bollocks to your claims it’s about insurance purposes load of sh*te that is al tell folk not about insurance it’s to do spying on drivers for smoking doing stuff behind the wheel etc that your not supposed to be doing 🙄 invasion of privacy of drivers and if that how it’s going to go no drivers in 5 years at a minimum my estimate just say to your office I’ll put a camera in your office see if u like to be watched all the time and if they say your not constantly watched just say Bollocks whilst that keys in the ignition that cameras on prove me wrong
TonPun

Post by TonPun »

bregss2075 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 pm Filming in a cab without consent shove it Bollocks to your claims it’s about insurance purposes load of sh*te that is al tell folk not about insurance it’s to do spying on drivers for smoking doing stuff behind the wheel etc that your not supposed to be doing 🙄 invasion of privacy of drivers and if that how it’s going to go no drivers in 5 years at a minimum my estimate just say to your office I’ll put a camera in your office see if u like to be watched all the time and if they say your not constantly watched just say Bollocks whilst that keys in the ignition that cameras on prove me wrong
so you advocate smoking when driving a truck then? And you wonder why they may want to do it? 🤣
PAULOCKS

Post by PAULOCKS »

You soon forget they are there , if doing nothing wrong nothing to worry about , usually only a senior member of staff can view , just remember to shut curtains before slipping on the stocking though haha
macGrey

Post by macGrey »

PAULOCKS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 pm You soon forget they are there , if doing nothing wrong nothing to worry about , usually only a senior member of staff can view , just remember to shut curtains before slipping on the stocking though haha
wren and i suspect many companies do not comply to these rules, I've had this first hand and will never drive a truck with a camera in. I would rather put stickers on bottles all day in a cold warehouse.
Your employed as a professional driver, if a company doesn't trust you to drive in a professional manner, then why employ you?
jawel_1990

Post by jawel_1990 »

macGrey wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:59 pm
PAULOCKS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 pm You soon forget they are there , if doing nothing wrong nothing to worry about , usually only a senior member of staff can view , just remember to shut curtains before slipping on the stocking though haha
wren and i suspect many companies do not comply to these rules, I've had this first hand and will never drive a truck with a camera in. I would rather put stickers on bottles all day in a cold warehouse.
Your employed as a professional driver, if a company doesn't trust you to drive in a professional manner, then why employ you?
From what we can gather the company will enable Al which is optional. If you have a look at this article you will see what I mean.
https://kb.samsara.com/hc/en-us/article ... -Detection
PAULOCKS

Post by PAULOCKS »

we had a driver who had a drunken pedestrian walk out onto road , hit him , slow speed , no injuries , even though we have forward facing cameras the police took his personal phone and company phone to analyse to see if he was on phone . They had them for two weeks , he wasn't on his phone but just think if we had in cab cameras it would be a case of giving them the sd card instead of people you don't know searching through all your personal stuff on your phone and not being able to stop it
macGrey

Post by macGrey »

PAULOCKS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 pm
we had a driver who had a drunken pedestrian walk out onto road , hit him , slow speed , no injuries , even though we have forward facing cameras the police took his personal phone and company phone to analyse to see if he was on phone . They had them for two weeks , he wasn't on his phone but just think if we had in cab cameras it would be a case of giving them the sd card instead of people you don't know searching through all your personal stuff on your phone and not being able to stop it
I would rather that, than the extreme issues I personally went through. I had to row my way through 3 disciplinaries, even with 4 cameras, showing I was professional at all times. Fair play to those whom are happy to have these cameras, the company I am now with know, should they put driver cameras in, I will leave.
macGrey

Post by macGrey »

jawel_1990 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 pm
From what we can gather the company will enable Al which is optional. If you have a look at this article you will see what I mean.
I appreciate the idea of distracted driving, but any driver allowing themselves to be distracted, especially with such things as phones, drugs, drink, etc, is not professional and should be retrained or taken off the road completely, this includes car licence.
As professional drivers we have to maintain a higher standard of driving. We all get distracted and make mistakes, but when then distraction is put there by oneself in first place takes a whole new meaning.
jawel_1990

Post by jawel_1990 »

macGrey wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:01 pm

I appreciate the idea of distracted driving, but any driver allowing themselves to be distracted, especially with such things as phones, drugs, drink, etc, is not professional and should be retrained or taken off the road completely, this includes car licence.
As professional drivers we have to maintain a higher standard of driving. We all get distracted and make mistakes, but when then distraction is put there by oneself in first place takes a whole new meaning.
I agree Mac but it gets a bit much when you can get a distracted driving alert for scratching your head. I don't know many jobs where you have a camera focused on your head all day and an alarm going off at you. I agree about mobile phone usage etc but to have your head movements monitored all day seems a bit extreme
macGrey

Post by macGrey »

jawel_1990 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:01 pm
macGrey wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:01 pm

I agree Mac but it gets a bit much when you can get a distracted driving alert for scratching your head. I don't know many jobs where you have a camera focused on your head all day and an alarm going off at you. I agree about mobile phone usage etc but to have your head movements monitored all day seems a bit extreme
absolutely, but all lgv's are now fitted with so much crappie it's ridiculous, plus the fact when these alarms do go off many send an email to the transport office notifying them of the alarms.
This is no longer a job where a company supports its drivers. Its a job where drivers are constantly aware that, no matter what you do there are unskilled drivers, without lgv or equivalent licences telling you, you need retraining on a job you've been doing for over 20 years.
aadam1ient

Post by aadam1ient »

Would you allow your landlord/employer to install cctv inside your home, which only they had access to, even if they told you it only activated when you were working from home?
They do it because it lowers their insurance premium? Selfish and disrespectful attitude towards their drivers if they are prepared to compromise your right to privacy to save a few quid. I worked for one company that had driver facing cameras, never again.
jawel_1990

Post by jawel_1990 »

aadam1ient wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:03 pm Would you allow your landlord/employer to install cctv inside your home, which only they had access to, even if they told you it only activated when you were working from home?
They do it because it lowers their insurance premium? Selfish and disrespectful attitude towards their drivers if they are prepared to compromise your right to privacy to save a few quid. I worked for one company that had driver facing cameras, never again.
Was it that bad?
aadam1ient

Post by aadam1ient »

jawel_1990 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 pm
aadam1ient wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:03 pm Would you allow your landlord/employer to install cctv inside your home, which only they had access to, even if they told you it only activated when you were working from home?
Was it that bad?
thankfully it’s pretty rare in my experience. I’ve only encountered one firm that employs in cab cameras. Some drivers would cover the camera, but would get moaned at for it by office staff.
I don’t need to work for a firm that uses them, so I don’t, simple as that. I don’t have an issue with exterior cameras, but an interior cam is a blatant violation of privacy, even more so if you are a tramper. No thanks
jawel_1990

Post by jawel_1990 »

aadam1ient wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 pm
jawel_1990 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 pm
Was it that bad?
thankfully it’s pretty rare in my experience. I’ve only encountered one firm that employs in cab cameras. Some drivers would cover the camera, but would get moaned at for it by office staff.
I don’t need to work for a firm that uses them, so I don’t, simple as that. I don’t have an issue with exterior cameras, but an interior cam is a blatant violation of privacy, even more so if you are a tramper. No thanks
Thanks Aadam. They don't seem to be common here at the moment but in America, (where this version is manufactured), they seem to be used more. Sadly I have a feeling this will be the norm in the not too distant future and the insurance companies will insist on it.
If a driver has an incident the insurance company will look for every driver distraction they can, even a phone call via Bluetooth can be considered a driver distraction. People argue that it's your place of work but I don't know of many jobs where you have a camera constantly pointing at your head monitoring your every movement.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

Bing6idan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 am
Monoploxy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:59 am
jawel_1990 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 am

our company is getting them installed. Do they record audio?
Some do. If they're Lytx Drivecam then any harsh braking or anything that triggers the camera, the footage gets sent off to the camera company where someone reviews the footage. They then send it to your company to issue "guidance" for the driver.
do you drive a Volvo by any chance for DHL lol. I do and yep I know about lytx harsh braking but yet doesn't show the fact the car Infront cut you up then slammed the brakes on or no doesn't show that bit lol
No dashcam that's always on and can save the last 10/20mins when requested?
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

aubreeThere wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 am
Towalex_Tri wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 am
aubreeThere wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 am

so you're on a night out. Need lights to get changed. Watch a film or phone home and internal camera recording because key in ignition. Any external cameras that are recording help protect the truck but internal invade your right to privacy after completing shift
if you are changing surly you draw the curtains for fear of Joe public accusing you of exposing yourself therefore if you have drawn the curtains the camera is covered anyway!
depends on position of camera i have had rear corner of cab. Both front corners above screen so curtains and visors do not obscure camera. As stated driver facing must have driver controls for power on independent of ignition. Or dont fit them sample. I have heard all the excuses for having them none are valid. Surround camera shows road position of yourself and others, all thats needed for insurance purposes or to show who at fault in accident. The extra in cab is company control purposes only.
This...

Insurance companies just want (or should) dashcam footage of the accident (front and side/mirrors/blind spot). There should be no requirement for in cab monitoring period, especially if the vehicle is stationary. It should not be hardwired to automatically come on when the ignition is turned on.

Find it strange that anyone is comfortable with that level of intrusion or monitoring. External cameras are perfectly adequate for recording accident info.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”