I run ten 8 wheeler tippers on quarry work mainly asphalt with the od dry load in between, I have always tried to

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Partell.Xion

I run ten 8 wheeler tippers on quarry work mainly asphalt with the od dry load in between, I have always tried to

Post by Partell.Xion »

I run ten 8 wheeler tippers on quarry work mainly asphalt with the od dry load in between, I have always tried to work them day and night 7 day's a week sometimes 1 truck could have 4 different driver's over a week. Since about September work has gone quiet and it's now mainly five day's 1 truck 1 driver, having looked at the figure's closely I don't think I am much worse off if at all my cost's have fallen massively. So my question is has anybody gone from a 24/7 to a five day plod and found it better I honestly think I have wasted the last 15 year's being a busy fool putting money in Scania's pocket and making Mr Hankook and Mr Shell even more money apologies for long post.
DreDroit

Re: I run ten 8 wheeler tippers on quarry work mainly asphalt with the od dry load in between, I have always tried to

Post by DreDroit »

My old boss used to say when we had 10 trucks that he wish he had
Kept it at 2 as it was less hassle and he wasn’t stuck in the office.
Living_Runn

Re: I run ten 8 wheeler tippers on quarry work mainly asphalt with the od dry load in between, I have always tried to

Post by Living_Runn »

I know some one who ran 10 artic reefers all over Europe and decided to sell everything and revert back to being an owner driver. made more profit less haste with brand new kit and home at weekends with family.
LENMAQUAR

Post by LENMAQUAR »

Living_Runn wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:59 pm I know some one who ran 10 artic reefers all over Europe and decided to sell everything and revert back to being an owner driver. made more profit less haste with brand new kit and home at weekends with family.
and probably less repairs🤔
Living_Runn

Post by Living_Runn »

LENMAQUAR wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:59 pm
Living_Runn wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:59 pm I know some one who ran 10 artic reefers all over Europe and decided to sell everything and revert back to being an owner driver. made more profit less haste with brand new kit and home at weekends with family.
new kit. Into dealers in Europe for servicing and repairs and leased trailer. Not his problem. Just fuel and go
LENMAQUAR

Post by LENMAQUAR »

Living_Runn wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:00 pm
LENMAQUAR wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:59 pm
new kit. Into dealers in Europe for servicing and repairs and leased trailer. Not his problem. Just fuel and go
so downtime not a issue🤔it’s still not free is it?
IanFang

Post by IanFang »

Your drivers must trust each other changing drivers up to 4 in a week, f**k me I bet they spent more time looking over the wagon when it was there turn than driving. Unfortunately iv had plenty of experience with scruffy I couldn’t give a f**k drivers who leave there trucks rite sh*tholes 👎🏼 But as long as there on the road who gives a f**k eh.
Chris_Choice

Post by Chris_Choice »

Biggest outlay along side wages is Damage and ⛽️ id say (could be wrong) lesser trucks lesser hassel, if you've got contract hire trucks it costs a fortune to hand the vehicles back....
Ton5yrgam

Post by Ton5yrgam »

Jobs f**k mate. Charlie is a c**t . Hes pinching every c**ts work just now. He wants to f**k off back uo North East the w**ker.
steveyuni

Post by steveyuni »

Ton5yrgam wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:04 pm Jobs f**k mate. Charlie is a c**t . Hes pinching every c**ts work just now. He wants to f**k off back uo North East the w**ker.
😆 mate I don’t know the situation and probably shouldn’t comment but here goes. In difficult times I get great pleasure watching idiots run to stand still 👍
Ton5yrgam

Post by Ton5yrgam »

steveyuni wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:05 pm
Ton5yrgam wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:04 pm Jobs f**k mate. Charlie is a c**t . Hes pinching every c**ts work just now. He wants to f**k off back uo North East the w**ker.
😆 mate I don’t know the situation and probably shouldn’t comment but here goes. In difficult times I get great pleasure watching idiots run to stand still 👍
usually pillocks like this chop rates to f**k then go bust 🤷‍♂️
Andneur

Post by Andneur »

don’t you like him…?😂😂
Ton5yrgam

Post by Ton5yrgam »

Andneur wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:06 pm
don’t you like him…?😂😂
what gave you that impression 😳🤣
Joeport

Post by Joeport »

I haven't gone 24/7 to five day plod but I did go from 4 drivers to 1 on a five day week and to be honest it day and night difference, yes you can do the volume of work or do the last minute job which can be a pain. However standing cost are now a lot less, breakdown and repair are easy cause I have broke it and know what needs fix rather than all the theories that oh it was that last time it must be that again. I do work harder but in the sense I am doing more paying work and it just nice not to have the hassle of drivers. Having said that if you have got a good driver with an owner operator attitude and has a basic understanding of your cost and not earning they are worth there weight in gold as they know that last load if the profit for the day and justmake life easier.
Also only my experience that alot of driver now almost wants 9-5 routine or have the do less earn more attitude which make the owner or transport managers life at lot hard.
Best advice I had was it not how much you do it how efficient you are and can you provide the service required, if so people will pay and work will keep coming.
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

I found when I was running 7 days a week and some nights too things were getting overlooked so where “your man on a Saturday morning” cheap as chips would be going round the trucks looking for stuff to do so they would carry on working for another week now you ain’t doing that cos they are working so end up with more breakdowns and now it was costing me double if not triple the costs alongside sometimes the additional cost of getting recovered back to base so a job that would have cost £15 would have rolled into the hundreds if not close to thousand. Have to pay drivers a fortune cos they think you’re having it off and to be honest you do disillusion yourself too into thinking you’re earning a fortune so end up buying stuff you ordinarily wouldn’t but as you rightly said when you work it all out you’re no better off. Also as I’ve always said in any fleet no one has 100 percent workforce, 1st 3rd are really good drivers, second 3rd and borderline ok just come in and go with motions and then you got last 3rd who you only employ to fill the seat so sometimes they’ll let you down and if you’re honest with yourself you wouldn’t even ideally even employ them if you didn’t have so many trucks. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it can’t be done but if you’re running 24-7 you have to be built up for it can’t just come along and start working 24/7 you have to put measures in place for additional stress on business and its assets.
KeThesoy

Post by KeThesoy »

Frankho wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:07 pm I found when I was running 7 days a week and some nights too things were getting overlooked so where “your man on a Saturday morning” cheap as chips would be going round the trucks looking for stuff to do so they would carry on working for another week now you ain’t doing that cos they are working so end up with more breakdowns and now it was costing me double if not triple the costs alongside sometimes the additional cost of getting recovered back to base so a job that would have cost £15 would have rolled into the hundreds if not close to thousand. Have to pay drivers a fortune cos they think you’re having it off and to be honest you do disillusion yourself too into thinking you’re earning a fortune so end up buying stuff you ordinarily wouldn’t but as you rightly said when you work it all out you’re no better off. Also as I’ve always said in any fleet no one has 100 percent workforce, 1st 3rd are really good drivers, second 3rd and borderline ok just come in and go with motions and then you got last 3rd who you only employ to fill the seat so sometimes they’ll let you down and if you’re honest with yourself you wouldn’t even ideally even employ them if you didn’t have so many trucks. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it can’t be done but if you’re running 24-7 you have to be built up for it can’t just come along and start working 24/7 you have to put measures in place for additional stress on business and its assets.
when you have more than a handful of lorrys it just becomes getting bums on the driving seat this also ends up with your better drivers getting fed up as they think why go. The extra mile when others don’t and nothing is said or your getting the same money. And they invariably get the call to do the extra load or the shy job as the boss knows they will get the job done without drama
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

KeThesoy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 pm
Frankho wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:07 pm I found when I was running 7 days a week and some nights too things were getting overlooked so where “your man on a Saturday morning” cheap as chips would be going round the trucks looking for stuff to do so they would carry on working for another week now you ain’t doing that cos they are working so end up with more breakdowns and now it was costing me double if not triple the costs alongside sometimes the additional cost of getting recovered back to base so a job that would have cost £15 would have rolled into the hundreds if not close to thousand. Have to pay drivers a fortune cos they think you’re having it off and to be honest you do disillusion yourself too into thinking you’re earning a fortune so end up buying stuff you ordinarily wouldn’t but as you rightly said when you work it all out you’re no better off. Also as I’ve always said in any fleet no one has 100 percent workforce, 1st 3rd are really good drivers, second 3rd and borderline ok just come in and go with motions and then you got last 3rd who you only employ to fill the seat so sometimes they’ll let you down and if you’re honest with yourself you wouldn’t even ideally even employ them if you didn’t have so many trucks. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it can’t be done but if you’re running 24-7 you have to be built up for it can’t just come along and start working 24/7 you have to put measures in place for additional stress on business and its assets.
when you have more than a handful of lorrys it just becomes getting bums on the driving seat this also ends up with your better drivers getting fed up as they think why go. The extra mile when others don’t and nothing is said or your getting the same money. And they invariably get the call to do the extra load or the shy job as the boss knows they will get the job done without drama
there is that to it
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

I bent over backwards for a lot of firms to try to earn them some corn only to end up not being appreciated so I know what you’re saying
KeThesoy

Post by KeThesoy »

Frankho wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:09 pm
I bent over backwards for a lot of firms to try to earn them some corn only to end up not being appreciated so I know what you’re saying
I know the feeling
JasSpin

Post by JasSpin »

2x 8 wheel in asphalt and some dry.
2nd truck covers all the cost of the 1st one and 2nd truck.
steveyuni

Post by steveyuni »

!!
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 219 times
LENMAQUAR

Post by LENMAQUAR »

steveyuni wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:11 pm!!
every day
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 218 times
AliAnnon

Post by AliAnnon »

Only time a tipper is making money is when its getting paid to sit and wait with tar and the engine turned off🤣
Living_Runn

Post by Living_Runn »

AliAnnon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:11 pm Only time a tipper is making money is when its getting paid to sit and wait with tar and the engine turned off🤣
that’s exactly what ur grandad used to say. Meters ticking, load on its back. Engine off,
AliAnnon

Post by AliAnnon »

Living_Runn wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm
AliAnnon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:11 pm Only time a tipper is making money is when its getting paid to sit and wait with tar and the engine turned off🤣
that’s exactly what ur grandad used to say. Meters ticking, load on its back. Engine off,
aye 100%. This doing 8 loads of muck a day has the lorries sitting the workshop far too often. Give me 1 load of Tar and 6 hours waiting time any day🤣
MC.gillarix

Post by MC.gillarix »

Your not charging enough,you can be busy fool with tippers
hopper

Post by hopper »

You're the guy looking at your books, you do what is best for you.
As far as stress and your health goes, less driver and less hours has to mean less stress.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I gave up working every hour god sends in the 2008 when the quarry the company I subbed for just shut the quarry and sold it on to private back stabbing company in a massive recession and told us f**k all.
They turn back on us after many years of loyal and a good service,
Tarmac did the same in 1992 with major hand in putting my late old man out business losing everything my great grandfather who started with horse & cart, my great grandfather and my dad worked bloody hard, a lot harder than anyone of us in the industry today with a fleet of 12 trucks when my old man went bust, 75years of graft between them and at times was subsidised by my grandfather who didn’t like trucks who as a driller down the coal mines,
Ever since I set up on my own in 1992 age 28yrs old I’ve run one truck, 2/3 yrs old to 6/7 years old they wants for nothing,
I refuses to work weekends even for maintenance, that’s done in the week time although now I pay for big jobs to be done as I’m 61 next month,
Ever since I got self in a good financial place I’ve never been short in my pocket although I’m far from wealthy but money not every thing.
I Own a late model top spec luxury car, newish twin axle caravan, detached house mortgage free away most weekends and enjoy a social life,
At end of 2009 I was on bones of my arse the dreaded verge of bankruptcy, I owed £1000’s & £1000’s due to trying to run before I could walk, debt of more than value of my detached house which was also on a large mortgage at the time,
Working your self in to an early grave is just not worth the stress and heart ache,
There only one winner the aggregates company’s which are laughing at you big time,
Sooner everyone takes a step back and realise’s this is when the aggregate company’s will start to pay decent rates the only thing I can say its will never happen as there always imbeciles that will do it cheaper and people like yourself the want more and more trucks, seriously you need to ask your self whats more important in life,
I’m on my last truck, next move is semi retirement to and easy job 3 days a week.
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Anthony wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:14 pm I gave up working every hour god sends in the 2008 when the quarry the company I subbed for just shut the quarry and sold it on to private back stabbing company in a massive recession and told us f**k all.
Tarmac did the same in 1992 with major hand in putting my late old man out business losing everything my great grandfather who started with horse & cart, my great grandfather and my dad worked bloody hard, a lot harder than anyone of us in the industry today with a fleet of 12 trucks when my old man went bust, 75years of graft between them and at times was subsidised by my grandfather who didn’t like trucks who as a driller down the coal mines,
Ever since I set up on my own in 1992 age 28yrs old I’ve run one truck, 2/3 yrs old to 6/7 years old they wants for nothing,
I refuses to work weekends even for maintenance, that’s done in the week time although now I pay for big jobs to be done as I’m 61 next month,
Ever since I got self in a good financial place I’ve never been short in my pocket although I’m far from wealthy but money not every thing.
I Own a late model top spec luxury car, newish twin axle caravan, detached house mortgage free away most weekends and enjoy a social life,
At end of 2009 I was on bones of my arse the dreaded verge of bankruptcy, I owed £1000’s & £1000’s due to trying to run before I could walk, debt of more than value of my detached house which was also on a large mortgage at the time,
Working your self in to an early grave is just not worth the stress and heart ache,
There only one winner the aggregates company’s which are laughing at you big time,
Sooner everyone takes a step back and realise’s this is when the aggregate company’s will start to pay decent rates the only thing I can say its will never happen as there always imbeciles that will do it cheaper and people like yourself the want more and more trucks, seriously you need to ask your self whats more important in life,
I’m on my last truck, next move is semi retirement to and easy job 3 days a week.
true say my old man got caught in late 80s recession and I got caught up in 2008 one and now I’m driving for someone 4 days a week and love it
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Anthony wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:14 pm I gave up working every hour god sends in the 2008 when the quarry the company I subbed for just shut the quarry and sold it on to private back stabbing company in a massive recession and told us f**k all.
My story is very similar to you and Anthony's, my old man started it got done by Tarmac in late 80's closing a quarry with a full order book and plenty of work moved to ARC was one of many who got done there when they flooded the place with new contract haulier's. I joined him when I was 21 and we had our own work and all was well we built it up to ten had good customer's and then boom 2008 credit crunch. A couple of customer's went bust and we were in a bit of a hole we was not LTD and if we went bust would of lost house and yard which Mum and Dad had worked bloody hard to pay for, looking back should of stopped the driver's and sold the truck's but I re mortgaged house and yard and went back in to the quarry's for work and been 24/7 ever since. Money wise I am in a good place now more through luck than judgement and don't get me wrong as bad as it's been I have enjoyed it probably more when the sh1t hit's the fan and as stupid as it sound's I would do it all over again and the same mistake's. But last 18 month's job's changed and I think less is more keep cost's down.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Partell.Xion wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:15 pm
My story is very similar to you and Anthony's, my old man started it got done by Tarmac in late 80's closing a quarry with a full order book and plenty of work moved to ARC was one of many who got done there when they flooded the place with new contract haulier's. I joined him when I was 21 and we had our own work and all was well we built it up to ten had good customer's and then boom 2008 credit crunch. A couple of customer's went bust and we were in a bit of a hole we was not LTD and if we went bust would of lost house and yard which Mum and Dad had worked bloody hard to pay for, looking back should of stopped the driver's and sold the truck's but I re mortgaged house and yard and went back in to the quarry's for work and been 24/7 ever since. Money wise I am in a good place now more through luck than judgement and don't get me wrong as bad as it's been I have enjoyed it probably more when the sh1t hit's the fan and as stupid as it sound's I would do it all over again and the same mistake's. But last 18 month's job's changed and I think less is more keep cost's down.
I get what your saying and good on you everyone does it there way,
I never saw my son grow, I vowed not make the same mistake with my 3 grand children you can’t get that that time back.
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

yes very similar however you got through it but I never that’s the big difference. Credit to ya though. About doing it all over again I’m still screwing why I wasted so much of my life and effort on this shit let alone willing to do it all over again, not in a million years. However the only thing is I can tell a good story
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Anthony wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:16 pm
I never saw my son grow, I vowed not make the same mistake with my 3 grand children you can’t get that that time back.
f**k kids mate they don’t appreciate nor care what you do for them and will still not think twice about throwing you in a home. Another waste of time
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Frankho wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:17 pm

f**k kids mate they don’t appreciate nor care what you do for them and will still not think twice about throwing you in a home. Another waste of time
Sorry but speak for yourself mate
my kids are my world and think the world of me
It’s how bring them up
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Anthony wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:17 pm

It’s how bring them up
maybe so but they’ll still throw you in a home
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Frankho wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:16 pm
yes very similar however you got through it but I never that’s the big difference. Credit to ya though. About doing it all over again I’m still screwing why I wasted so much of my life and effort on this shit let alone willing to do it all over again, not in a million years. However the only thing is I can tell a good story
I like a good story nothing better than waiting to tip tar and listening too a good story, and yes family comes first but nothing wrong with a bit of hard work. I am an old soul in a new world I am afraid but to leave you with one last story, we had one driver who even if he had an early finish would waste time in yard first in and last out but his kids and grandkids are a credit to him and his wife we had another driver who quit after 3 days said he wanted to see his kids growing up, he never worked a day after and was only in his late 20's 3 kids one drug addict one in and out of jail and one gone to Australia after fitting with his Dad and his Mum never spoke to him after.
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

It’s how bring them up
funny how the kids turn out under different circumstances and conditions. One thing is for sure there’s no one fits all method of bringing up children. I know of a kid bought up by a decent family very honourable and respected but one of their kids turned out to be a drug addict and I’m talking of the hard stuff so that tells you sometimes even with a good upbringing kids can still find their own way be it good or bad although most do follow in their parents footsteps. I’ve always been hard working but it’s a credit to my father (May Allah سبحان اللہ تعالیٰ grant him heaven) and now same with my kids they work hard to try to get somewhere however I wouldn’t have thought the same would have been the result if my father like many of you think we do had sat claiming benefits all his life no doubt we’d have continued that trend
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Frankho wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:19 pm

It’s how bring them up
funny how the kids turn out under different circumstances and conditions. One thing is for sure there’s no one fits all method of bringing up children. I know of a kid bought up by a decent family very honourable and respected but one of their kids turned out to be a drug addict and I’m talking of the hard stuff so that tells you sometimes even with a good upbringing kids can still find their own way be it good or bad although most do follow in their parents footsteps. I’ve always been hard working but it’s a credit to my father (May Allah سبحان اللہ تعالیٰ grant him heaven) and now same with my kids they work hard to try to get somewhere however I wouldn’t have thought the same would have been the result if my father like many of you think we do had sat claiming benefits all his life no doubt we’d have continued that trend
No my son
shane-down

Post by shane-down »

Typical example fewston transport at Skipton change in name to Pennine transport tryin to be a big operator
Peter.Matter

Post by Peter.Matter »

When I worked for McGrath Bros many many years ago Mick McGrath explained it like this .
1 Lorry Total earnings ÷ 2 for all running costs then the remaining half ÷ 2 and that's your share so basically 3/4 of the trucks earnings are gone on running cost's and the 1/4 left is your wages.
You then buy a 2nd Truck and that pays for Truck 1 then so on and so on . Mick McGrath's theory obviously worked as they ran a large fleet of Skips , Tippers , Bulk Rubbish Artics , had recycling facilities, crushing facilities then sold out to Cory Environmental for umpteen Millions & Millions & Millions.
KeThesoy

Post by KeThesoy »

Peter.Matter wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm When I worked for McGrath Bros many many years ago Mick McGrath explained it like this .
1 Lorry Total earnings ÷ 2 for all running costs then the remaining half ÷ 2 and that's your share so basically 3/4 of the trucks earnings are gone on running cost's and the 1/4 left is your wages.
You then buy a 2nd Truck and that pays for Truck 1 then so on and so on . Mick McGrath's theory obviously worked as they ran a large fleet of Skips , Tippers , Bulk Rubbish Artics , had recycling facilities, crushing facilities then sold out to Cory Environmental for umpteen Millions & Millions & Millions.
but to be fair to them if you put your self out and helped them they looked after you
Peter.Matter

Post by Peter.Matter »

KeThesoy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm
Peter.Matter wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm When I worked for McGrath Bros many many years ago Mick McGrath explained it like this .
but to be fair to them if you put your self out and helped them they looked after you
Absolutely right mate , I had no qualms working for that outfit always treated me well.
john.reffe

Post by john.reffe »

Good story pal. I agree with you.
cathon

Post by cathon »

No Money in trucks, unless u break every law in the land the people at the top have every one f**ked 🚛🚛🚛🚛💵💵💵
KeThesoy

Post by KeThesoy »

Turnover is vanity profit is sanity
AliAnnon

Post by AliAnnon »

Really not good at the moment mate
AbbertQuant

Post by AbbertQuant »

If you have new trucks covered under warranty and same 2 drivers per truck night work is all profit in my eyes all costs covered by days.
LENMAQUAR

Post by LENMAQUAR »

AbbertQuant wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:25 pm If you have new trucks covered under warranty and same 2 drivers per truck night work is all profit in my eyes all costs covered by days.
never 👎
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

LENMAQUAR wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:25 pm
AbbertQuant wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:25 pm If you have new trucks covered under warranty and same 2 drivers per truck night work is all profit in my eyes all costs covered by days.
never 👎
There no winner my good friend in hauliers in most countries
Even stobarts had to sell out because of massive debts

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”