What are everyone’s thought? yes I know service drivers get more. Id just like to make a point that I guess has been

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Dayxana

Re: What are everyone’s thought? yes I know service drivers get more. Id just like to make a point that I guess has been

Post by Dayxana »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 pm Are you lads aware that certain tour wholesaler, expect hoteliers to accept £22.50 pnhb for each coach passenger, and create hell when passengers don’t get enough on the plate, and hence you as the Coach Driver are treated like a third class person.
I was interested as a retired Coach Driver in buying a certain hotel, but as the owner had signed up for 2018 with one of these cowboy suppliers. I said Whilst I’m happy to buy your hotel. I wouldn’t accept this cowboys agreement.
So I kept my money in the bank.
There is no way I would accept a tour for less than £50 per person per night. Bed and Breakfast. And must be paid in full 6 weeks before arrival. Not payment 90 days after the event.
The reason it's not empty is because they're NOT trying to get £50 a night for coach parties, I can tell you for a fact some hotels actually OFFER the low rates to operators who want to bring guests in, and I mean low, lower than the £22.50 you mentioned.
Now, if you're wanting to offer gold standard the hotel itself has to be gold standard in every way, you won't sell gold from a slightly shabby hotel.
Perhaps your target market shouldn't be coaches, unless you know there is a market with the cash to pay a lot of money for a coach holiday, and for that they want EVERYTHING gold standard from the coach to your sausages, the bangers you can supply but the coach you can't.
I imagine your peak season price would be more than 50 for self drive and walk ins, that's ok, but you're not going to get 50 per head for coaches and definitely not off peak. People just don't pay that sort of money for coach holidays, they are VFM holidays attracting VFM customers. We don't even get near that price at peak times but we're always full.
At this moment I am writing from a hotel room with a sea view overlooking a large garden, very comfortable place, nicely furnished, nice bar and lounges, 24hr bar. I have a very large double room with added single bed and MY OWN parking space - 30 quid a night retail. I've just been and had a look at their coach rates for 17, 18 and 19 AND who's booked in, let's just say-they're busy, and the rates are what I expected.
Dayxana

Re: What are everyone’s thought? yes I know service drivers get more. Id just like to make a point that I guess has been

Post by Dayxana »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 pm Are you lads aware that certain tour wholesaler, expect hoteliers to accept £22.50 pnhb for each coach passenger, and create hell when passengers don’t get enough on the plate, and hence you as the Coach Driver are treated like a third class person.
I was interested as a retired Coach Driver in buying a certain hotel, but as the owner had signed up for 2018 with one of these cowboy suppliers. I said Whilst I’m happy to buy your hotel. I wouldn’t accept this cowboys agreement.
There is no way I would accept a tour for less than £50 per person per night. Bed and Breakfast. And must be paid in full 6 weeks before arrival. Not payment 90 days after the event.
Drivers dealing with dinner orders from a menu..Hmmm..Do you know what information menus have to contain these days?
Waiting staff have to know the answers to questions asked about the menu options, drivers won't be able to answer those.
You'll also be dealing with people who are gluten free, vegetarian, have various intolerances and so on, drivers won't be able to advise on their choices or answer questions. Not to mention the time it would take.
Nice idea but impractical and a potential source of a lot of trouble, possibly serious.
So you're going to send a pack for each guest to the coach operator for them to supply, huge cost there.
The pack wont be given the guest until the day of travel, 2 reasons for that.
1 - coach operator won't post them, too costly.
2 - the guest will forget to bring it on the day.
So they won't get a chance to to inquire about the menu in advance for you to give them the advice I mentioned.
Always assuming the driver doesn't forget to load the box containing them of course, in which case none of it will happen.
I'm not trying to put your ideas down Ken, but you have to look at the possible problems an idea might cause and decide if it's viable.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 pm
The reason it's not empty is because they're NOT trying to get £50 a night for coach parties, I can tell you for a fact some hotels actually OFFER the low rates to operators who want to bring guests in, and I mean low, lower than the £22.50 you mentioned.
Now, if you're wanting to offer gold standard the hotel itself has to be gold standard in every way, you won't sell gold from a slightly shabby hotel.
Perhaps your target market shouldn't be coaches, unless you know there is a market with the cash to pay a lot of money for a coach holiday, and for that they want EVERYTHING gold standard from the coach to your sausages, the bangers you can supply but the coach you can't.
I imagine your peak season price would be more than 50 for self drive and walk ins, that's ok, but you're not going to get 50 per head for coaches and definitely not off peak. People just don't pay that sort of money for coach holidays, they are VFM holidays attracting VFM customers. We don't even get near that price at peak times but we're always full.
At this moment I am writing from a hotel room with a sea view overlooking a large garden, very comfortable place, nicely furnished, nice bar and lounges, 24hr bar. I have a very large double room with added single bed and MY OWN parking space - 30 quid a night retail. I've just been and had a look at their coach rates for 17, 18 and 19 AND who's booked in, let's just say-they're busy, and the rates are what I expected.
Passengers diet needs will be sorted by the Responsible tour operator.
The items you mention will be CLEARLY highlighted on the menu.
In any case CHEF will consult those passengers on arrival.
The Driver will only need to give rough figures for preparation needs.
As I am a personal friend of David Wilson, I will refrain from comments on your employer.
The basic concept of my operation is “Cruise ship style and presentation” ala Cunard and Fred Olsen, not the Butlins at sea style.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Drivers dealing with dinner orders from a menu..Hmmm..Do you know what information menus have to contain these days?
Waiting staff have to know the answers to questions asked about the menu options, drivers won't be able to answer those.
You'll also be dealing with people who are gluten free, vegetarian, have various intolerances and so on, drivers won't be able to advise on their choices or answer questions. Not to mention the time it would take.
Nice idea but impractical and a potential source of a lot of trouble, possibly serious.
So you're going to send a pack for each guest to the coach operator for them to supply, huge cost there.
So they won't get a chance to to inquire about the menu in advance for you to give them the advice I mentioned.
Always assuming the driver doesn't forget to load the box containing them of course, in which case none of it will happen.
I'm not trying to put your ideas down Ken, but you have to look at the possible problems an idea might cause and decide if it's viable.
at the hotel, if drivers want rewards, complimentary drinks etc.
Then don’t be negative.
I was a Coach Tour Driver guide on and off 1965 to 2013. So I know how to reward a drivers wallet
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 pm
Then don’t be negative.
I was a Coach Tour Driver guide on and off 1965 to 2013. So I know how to reward a drivers wallet
There's no need to drop names, we're not discussing my employer. You know what they do, it works and I don't discuss their finer workings.
I don't know David unfortunately because he left before I started, but I've only ever heard good things spoken about him.
I'm not being negative Ken we're just having a chat, I'm seeing the other side, I get your concept but you're also trusting others you're not in control of to tow your line, you can't rely on them to do that, I do know that from experience.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 pm

Then don’t be negative.
There's no need to drop names, we're not discussing my employer. You know what they do, it works and I don't discuss their finer workings.
I don't know David unfortunately because he left before I started, but I've only ever heard good things spoken about him.
I'm not being negative Ken we're just having a chat, I'm seeing the other side, I get your concept but you're also trusting others you're not in control of to tow your line, you can't rely on them to do that, I do know that from experience.
the cheapest Indy b & b goes out at £76 per person on night. And remember it will not be in England.
No 25mm English thimbles, but 35mm Scottish measures. Pensioners nip @ £1, even under the new Scottish minimum 50p per unit.
Welcome dram on arrival. Bottle of chosen wine for two at every dinner gratis.
Minimum of 5 choices per course.
And driver complimentary tube of K.Y. Gel for drivers from the south of Watford Gap
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Then don’t be negative.
I will get drivers to cooperate by the treatment and mutual. Respect they will receive.
Stroppy awkward muppets will be barred from returning.
Every help they need from Coach washing, toilet drops. Local guides etc will be hotel organized in advance. Resident emergency driver to cover RTA rest or illness with the coach owners consent.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 pm

Then don’t be negative.
I will get drivers to cooperate by the treatment and mutual. Respect they will receive.
Every help they need from Coach washing, toilet drops. Local guides etc will be hotel organized in advance. Resident emergency driver to cover RTA rest or illness with the coach owners consent.
Do you mean yourself? no disrespect but you're not a young man, maybe 20yr on me? and that might be a potential issue too, if only for insurance reasons.
Drinks sales is an interesting subject.
As I'm sure you know we like to keep guests on site in the evening and have bingo and entertainment nightly, so we have a target that we expect to see regarding bar spend per head per night, it doesn't matter what it is but I was initially surprised at how low it was, but when you watch elderly people's drinking habits you realise even that is hard to achieve so staff have to try and upsell. Gladys nursing a tonic water all night is not profitable, she needs a house double in it at 25ml a shot. That's also related to what you mentioned about measures, when the 35ml measures were introduced a lot of pubs switched their optics, or at least those that were worth changing, you know, the big four that are governed by measure - gin, rum, vodka and whisky. Naturally prices changed accordingly, but not too long after that a huge number of licencees - me included, changed their optics BACK to 25ml, but crucially, left the price the same, much more profitable of course and in general no one noticed, especially when a mixer is poured on top.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Then don’t be negative.
One thing I'm noticing if you don't mind me saying is this..All the perks and offers you're talking about will be eating in to your £50 a night, which could somewhat defeat the object.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 pm

One thing I'm noticing if you don't mind me saying is this..All the perks and offers you're talking about will be eating in to your £50 a night, which could somewhat defeat the object.
No I will not be the resident driver. Although my doctor past me fit to PCV standards.
Entertainment will be at the forefront of our operation and in a dedicated lounge.
The only two bookings I will be looking for Christmas and Hogmanay 2024.
And both definitely for clients who go to bed at 9pm.
And by cooperation with Police Scotland, you as the driver can get a voluntary breather loser test upon request.
simoncu56

Post by simoncu56 »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 pm

No I will not be the resident driver. Although my doctor past me fit to PCV standards.
Entertainment will be at the forefront of our operation and in a dedicated lounge.
And by cooperation with Police Scotland, you as the driver can get a voluntary breather loser test upon request.
hotels shouldn't be offering bungs to drivers.... and certainly not free alcohol....whatever next?!
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

simoncu56 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm

hotels shouldn't be offering bungs to drivers.... and certainly not free alcohol....whatever next?!
Insert NOT after definitely
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

So a driver on standby is another cost unless he's also employed as something else, which has it's own issues of course..
Our guests stay up late but that doesn't mean they spend..
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

goody good shoes. Never accepted a free pint with their free dinner!!!!!!!
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

The driver in question is a senior management who will be your immediate contact for any assistance you may request
simoncu56

Post by simoncu56 »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 pm

The driver in question is a senior management who will be your immediate contact for any assistance you may request
what you smoking Ken? 😂
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

simoncu56 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 pm
KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 pm

what you smoking Ken? 😂
Definitely what you are.
Please note this is an Adults forum. Not for wee bus drivers
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 pm

So a driver on standby is another cost unless he's also employed as something else, which has it's own issues of course..
my future plans are based on tour notes I put together since 1965. Both negative and positive.
And Drivers will be invited to fill in a “grumble sheet”, to improve on what we offer drivers.
P.S. drivers will get a double bed and en suite, just like the clients. In other words in my view Drivers are more important than passengers.
Been working all day. Clean fresh towels, toiletries, and whilst at dinner, replaced for the next morning.
The only thing forbidden in a Drivers room will be a “ Mini Bar”
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 pm

my future plans are based on tour notes I put together since 1965. Both negative and positive.
And Drivers will be invited to fill in a “grumble sheet”, to improve on what we offer drivers.
P.S. drivers will get a double bed and en suite, just like the clients. In other words in my view Drivers are more important than passengers.
Been working all day. Clean fresh towels, toiletries, and whilst at dinner, replaced for the next morning.
and smoking ..?
VICEUDO

Post by VICEUDO »

Lol with all of this you are working to improve standards for drivers, offer them the world.. but the people making the booking - operators - get what? They’re the ones you need to sell to...😂
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

VICEUDO wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 pm

Lol with all of this you are working to improve standards for drivers, offer them the world.. but the people making the booking - operators - get what? They’re the ones you need to sell to...😂
I will be very selective who I sell to.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

136_lewismequ wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 pm

and smoking ..?
I am a non smoker
VICEUDO

Post by VICEUDO »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 pm

If you could afford a hotel I don’t think you’d have the time to be taking the piss on here. This has got to be a wind up cause it’s well funny 😂🤣🤣
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

VICEUDO wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 pm

If you could afford a hotel I don’t think you’d have the time to be taking the piss on here. This has got to be a wind up cause it’s well funny 😂🤣🤣
Not a wind up Vicky Alexander, just testing the water. The hotel is waiting in the wings for early next year, or when my legal advisors can keep out of the pub.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

I notice one thing you overlooked.
By failing to pre order your own dinner. You could at Chefs mercy.
Also what about any personal allergies. Do you expect those to be on the manifest sent to the hotel 6 weeks before arrival.
Yet your boss might just give you 72 hours notice.?
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm

Also what about any personal allergies. Do you expect those to be on the manifest sent to the hotel 6 weeks before arrival.
I wish you the best of luck, you'll need it because your expectations are way over the top
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Regarding pre ordering dinner.. There are always options, I'm sorry but I think you're trying to solve problems that aren't there.
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

Blimey ken £50 per night?? I guess that’s why you’re not in the industry now.. 🤔🤔
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

JozesTips wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 pm

Blimey ken £50 per night?? I guess that’s why you’re not in the industry now.. 🤔🤔
Back in 1991. Globus Gateway were paying £75 bed and breakfast in 4* hotels.
AlannychXx

Post by AlannychXx »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 pm

Globus were guaranteed beds to hotels in those days because of numbers
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

AlannychXx wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 pm

I find that staggering, are you sure Globus were paying that in 1991? charging it to its guests maybe but paying it?
If they were guaranteeing to fill beds in hotels I'm sure they'd be demanding a LOT less
MarMarsherry

Post by MarMarsherry »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 pm

I find that staggering, are you sure Globus were paying that in 1991? charging it to its guests maybe but paying it?
If they were guaranteeing to fill beds in hotels I'm sure they'd be demanding a LOT less
If they were paying anything close to that I'd be amazed.
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

MarMarsherry wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 pm
Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 pm

If they were paying anything close to that I'd be amazed.
£7.50 maybe
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm

Regarding pre ordering dinner.. There are always options, I'm sorry but I think you're trying to solve problems that aren't there.
I found it by chance, when a hotel gave me the wrong invoice.
I had been logged in their system as “Mr Globus”
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 pm
Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm

I found it by chance, when a hotel gave me the wrong invoice.
I had been logged in their system as “Mr Globus”
That cannot be correct. Sorry, it just can't.
personalth

Post by personalth »

Typical superb market workers day. Roll up do 8 hours work with a 1 hour lunch break. Go home.
Typical coach drivers day. Roll up drive 2 hours somewhere. Sit around for 4-5 hours moaning about how your destination has cut the drivers freebies since last time, now only giving you a coffee, moan about crap wages. Drive 2 hours home 30 minutes to sweep coach off, go home.
So £8.50 an hour for working only half of your shift vs working a full shift at a supermarket....
If your driving for more than half of your shift then chances are your on nx so earning far more than £8.50ph anyway.
If your not on nx and still driving more than half of your shift for £8.50ph and don’t like it, go to nx. 🙂
rogers.impers

Post by rogers.impers »

personalth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 pm Typical superb market workers day. Roll up do 8 hours work with a 1 hour lunch break. Go home.
Typical coach drivers day. Roll up drive 2 hours somewhere. Sit around for 4-5 hours moaning about how your destination has cut the drivers freebies since last time, now only giving you a coffee, moan about crap wages. Drive 2 hours home 30 minutes to sweep coach off, go home.
So £8.50 an hour for working only half of your shift vs working a full shift at a supermarket....
If your driving for more than half of your shift then chances are your on nx so earning far more than £8.50ph anyway.
If your not on nx and still driving more than half of your shift for £8.50ph and don’t like it, go to nx. 🙂
This is spot on. When you spend half your day sat around why would anyone pay more. Also you could pay £12 an hour and the coach could drive itself and some people would moan they didn't get a free meal.
PHASEURJO

Post by PHASEURJO »

rogers.impers wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 pm
personalth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 pm Typical superb market workers day. Roll up do 8 hours work with a 1 hour lunch break. Go home.
This is spot on. When you spend half your day sat around why would anyone pay more. Also you could pay £12 an hour and the coach could drive itself and some people would moan they didn't get a free meal.
Oh dear, you really don't understand the coaching industry. My experience is totally different to yours.
personalth

Post by personalth »

rogers.impers wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 pm
I don’t understand it? Oh ok.
dunnixioMR

Post by dunnixioMR »

I'm happy with my £9.60 an hour. Company's 95% decent and it's a good regular job
palmat

Post by palmat »

Stacking shelves is not that easy either they are not all at chest height, if you don't like the job bugger off and find something else
330_bbirkince

Post by 330_bbirkince »

I went to asda doing home delivery for a short while.it was the same hourly rate as the coaching job i had left.you started work the minute you clocked in and didnt stop until you clocked off.yes you did get breaks but they were the minimum and most of the time you had to work through them to keep to your delivery times.
Ricc.Infamous

Post by Ricc.Infamous »

Not happy with the job. Leave. Simple.
personalth

Post by personalth »

Ricc.Infamous wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 pm Not happy with the job. Leave. Simple.
Exactly so. Then the ‘crap payers’ would be forced to increase rates to fill the role if everyone left! Drivers are their own worst enemy when it comes to pay rates.
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

personalth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 pm
Ricc.Infamous wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 pm Not happy with the job. Leave. Simple.
Exactly so. Then the ‘crap payers’ would be forced to increase rates to fill the role if everyone left! Drivers are their own worst enemy when it comes to pay rates.
‘Some’ drivers.... I don’t complain about wages
personalth

Post by personalth »

jaters.2018 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 pm
personalth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 pm
‘Some’ drivers.... I don’t complain about wages
Usually there is a reason why they stay at the firms paying rubbish wages and that’s probably because the firms paying decent wages won’t have them.
I’m happy we have a company with decent drivers who work well together and don’t moan at every opportunity. 🙂
330_bbirkince

Post by 330_bbirkince »

Theres not many jobs you get paid for watching films drinking coffee or having 40 winks.lol.btw Jamrk i do none of these things.
Jamrk-choi

Post by Jamrk-choi »

330_bbirkince wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 pm Theres not many jobs you get paid for watching films drinking coffee or having 40 winks.lol.btw Jamrk i do none of these things.
I'm gonna have to keep giving you BUL. No watching dvds then lol
330_bbirkince

Post by 330_bbirkince »

Jamrk-choi wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 pm
330_bbirkince wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 pm Theres not many jobs you get paid for watching films drinking coffee or having 40 winks.lol.btw Jamrk i do none of these things.
I'm gonna have to keep giving you BUL. No watching dvds then lol
Or tea machine lol
LloydenDun

Post by LloydenDun »

if you don't like the pay change your job, drove Continental Tour Coaches (at the time £50 a day and had 19yrs experience and was away constant) so changed jobs in 2002 to HGV work Mon to Fri have weekend off and get sick pay and actually get holidays with holiday pay. Yes I miss the life of a tour driver but I choose to leave it, so if your not happy change jobs or just get on with it.....
KellCChamp

Post by KellCChamp »

if you don't want £8.50 an hour get your C+E licence. Yesterday I did 12 hours at £13 an hour, today I will do the same but on £17 an hour and tomorrow will be the same at £20 an hour and my responsibility is 99 cages of milk. 3 days a week is all I work as im clever enough to work where the money is as a driver.
Pao.narcom

Post by Pao.narcom »

think ur just milking it myself lol
KellCChamp

Post by KellCChamp »

Pao.narcom wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 pm think ur just milking it myself lol
Will milk every penny i can get. Currently sat on a bay in some shithole in Bristol waiting to be tipped. Been told I will be atleast 3 hours. Easy money.
Pao.narcom

Post by Pao.narcom »

KellCChamp wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm
Pao.narcom wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 pm think ur just milking it myself lol
Will milk every penny i can get. Currently sat on a bay in some shithole in Bristol waiting to be tipped. Been told I will be atleast 3 hours. Easy money.
your like the cat thats got the cream.ha ha suppose its better than being paid bottle tops.lol
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

When I was doing man and van stuff, I was charging £35 an hour or part of and 90p a mile or part of with first 15 miles free. It used to be a good earner until the cowboys started charging £30 per hour for 2 men. But still, you can make a lot more on taxis
Nige-Hockey

Post by Nige-Hockey »

Or he could go and work at Tesco, where they are paid £8.42
pixoneBuy

Post by pixoneBuy »

if coach driving i used to i used to hire myself out to companys that were desperate to cover work ,,used to be able to name your price per day ,when i done Germany for 7 days in a hotel plus i took my wife on full board which was included in the job £150 a day.
personalth

Post by personalth »

pixoneBuy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm if coach driving i used to i used to hire myself out to companys that were desperate to cover work ,,used to be able to name your price per day ,when i done Germany for 7 days in a hotel plus i took my wife on full board which was included in the job £150 a day.
In the height of the season £250 per day was on offer for a tour to Croatia! It’s all about supply and demand. If you want £15ph you’ll get it. Just not for 40 hours per week 52 weeks per year. On the other hand £8.50-10ph is realistic for a full time job guaranteed year round.
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

personalth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm
pixoneBuy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm if coach driving i used to i used to hire myself out to companys that were desperate to cover work ,,used to be able to name your price per day ,when i done Germany for 7 days in a hotel plus i took my wife on full board which was included in the job £150 a day.
In the height of the season £250 per day was on offer for a tour to Croatia! It’s all about supply and demand. If you want £15ph you’ll get it. Just not for 40 hours per week 52 weeks per year. On the other hand £8.50-10ph is realistic for a full time job guaranteed year round.
I won’t use a driver who holds me to ransom on price. I’d rather sub the job. Or as a last resort do it myself
personalth

Post by personalth »

136_lewismequ wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 pm
I won’t use a driver who holds me to ransom on price. I’d rather sub the job. Or as a last resort do it myself
I have always said I will pack in altogether than let the drivers, or the firms we work for dictate rates.
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

personalth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 pm

I have always said I will pack in altogether than let the drivers, or the firms we work for dictate rates.
A guy in the summer tried demanding £15 an hour. So after a month out of work he got a job at £9 an hour for 15 hrs a week! So by demanding that rate he lost about £3 k for the month plus continues to lose it ..
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

I want time and a half at weekends!........
rogers.impers

Post by rogers.impers »

136_lewismequ wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 pm

A guy in the summer tried demanding £15 an hour. So after a month out of work he got a job at £9 an hour for 15 hrs a week! So by demanding that rate he lost about £3 k for the month plus continues to lose it ..
Little side project I'm working on at the moment. 🤞
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

rogers.impers wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 pm

it’s working well. He is already driving the 358 out of New Cross
pixoneBuy

Post by pixoneBuy »

136_lewismequ wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 pm

he would have got £360 a week for 40 hours ,then take out stopages ,,might end up taking home 290 a week .. no were near 3 grand a month
rogers.impers

Post by rogers.impers »

pixoneBuy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:40 pm

he would have got £360 a week for 40 hours ,then take out stopages ,,might end up taking home 290 a week .. no were near 3 grand a month
He works for 2 bananas and hour (3 after 5pm).
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

rogers.impers wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:40 pm

He works for 2 bananas and hour (3 after 5pm).
well that’s not enough. PG tips pay 4 bananas an hour .
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

so you know what I pay then? And how many hours he would do ...
pixoneBuy

Post by pixoneBuy »

im glad im now out of it ,,,cant beat being retired ,dont miss getting up in the middle of the night to earn a pittance
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

pixoneBuy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 pm im glad im now out of it ,,,cant beat being retired ,dont miss getting up in the middle of the night to earn a pittance
I agree. All those professional moaners on Travelsphere feeders at 3am
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 pm
pixoneBuy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 pm im glad im now out of it ,,,cant beat being retired ,dont miss getting up in the middle of the night to earn a pittance
Well I think that we do the same job as a pilot so should get paid the same.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

136_lewismequ wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 pm
KENEssence wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 pm
Well I think that we do the same job as a pilot so should get paid the same.
If it was Ryanair wages, then you will get €4 for take off and landing only. The auto pilot gets the other €25
LloydenDun

Post by LloydenDun »

Then if you've been in the industry that long you know the pay is not great but made up with optionals, tips and drinks sold .........
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

LloydenDun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 pm Then if you've been in the industry that long you know the pay is not great but made up with optionals, tips and drinks sold .........
That's is the sort of daft comment that probably keeps employers thinking they can pay rubbish.
LloydenDun

Post by LloydenDun »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 pm
LloydenDun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 pm Then if you've been in the industry that long you know the pay is not great but made up with optionals, tips and drinks sold .........
That's is the sort of daft comment that probably keeps employers thinking they can pay rubbish.
So you think a comment keeps it low, started in 84 finished in 2002 so I know it's always been low and comments won't change anything.

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”