Question for you all, Are the school board Logos on digital destination boards good enough or do you still need the

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
wintt4freen

Question for you all, Are the school board Logos on digital destination boards good enough or do you still need the

Post by wintt4freen »

Question for you all,
Are the school board Logos on digital destination boards good enough or do you still need the orange and black placards in front & rear windows please?
Also any direction to the relevant rules please? Thanks!
Attachments
Logo1.jpg
Logo1.jpg (174.79 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Logo2.jpg
Logo2.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Kaylaur

Re: Question for you all, Are the school board Logos on digital destination boards good enough or do you still need the

Post by Kaylaur »

Depends on what the local authorities stipulates surely
Up here Aberdeen city council need just yellow school signs whereas Aberdeenshire council required specific reflective school signs
wintt4freen

Re: Question for you all, Are the school board Logos on digital destination boards good enough or do you still need the

Post by wintt4freen »

Kaylaur wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:59 pm Depends on what the local authorities stipulates surely
Up here Aberdeen city council need just yellow school signs whereas Aberdeenshire council required specific reflective school signs
ah OK! Didn't think it would be LEA dependant! Just thought it'd be a standard set of guidelines!
JAMOSERLO

Post by JAMOSERLO »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:59 pm
Kaylaur wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:59 pm Depends on what the local authorities stipulates surely
ah OK! Didn't think it would be LEA dependant! Just thought it'd be a standard set of guidelines!
like everything concerning rules, different organisations/police forces read the rules differently and interpret them differently!!
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

JAMOSERLO wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 pm
wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:59 pm
like everything concerning rules, different organisations/police forces read the rules differently and interpret them differently!!
yeah I get that. But it's probably going to be the council not the police who have any issues here. Even so, if I have a copy of the rules then I can interpret them and work accordingly!
colary_1378

Post by colary_1378 »

Still need to be on the yellow placards
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

colary_1378 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 pm Still need to be on the yellow placards
any website links for the regs please bud? Not that I don't believe you, just want to check it myself! 😂😜
colary_1378

Post by colary_1378 »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 pm
colary_1378 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 pm Still need to be on the yellow placards
any website links for the regs please bud? Not that I don't believe you, just want to check it myself! 😂😜
haha it’s only a suggestion to be fair I don’t have a link 😂 just don’t think the digital images are in resemblance to the placards (e.g yellow background e.t.c)
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

colary_1378 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 pm
wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 pm
haha it’s only a suggestion to be fair I don’t have a link 😂 just don’t think the digital images are in resemblance to the placards (e.g yellow background e.t.c)
ah fair enough! Just wondering what the regulations are so we can stay legal and smart!
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

so where it says a prescribed sign, does that mean the digital ones are fine?
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:03 pm
if you read the regulations I posted it gives the legal requirements regarding colour and size. 👍
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

LeonGuy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:03 pm
if you read the regulations I posted it gives the legal requirements regarding colour and size. 👍
I don't see that the digital signs can comply.
They must have a black boarder of a certain minimum size.
Must be of a minimum size.
Don't forget they are only for home to school transport and shouldn't be displayed at any other time.
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

that page doesn't state anything regarding colours or sizes. Is it on a page before/after that we need to click onto? I can do that much 😂🤔
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

Dayxana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:04 pm

Don't forget they are only for home to school transport and shouldn't be displayed at any other time.
so not even when just on regular school transport? Say school trips, etc?
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:05 pm

no. They're specifically for home to school use.
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

Dayxana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:05 pm

good to know thanks! Can you get penalized for using them not on HTS runs?
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

Dayxana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:05 pm

sorry that should read on runs that aren't HTS...
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:04 pm

that page doesn't state anything regarding colours or sizes. Is it on a page before/after that we need to click onto? I can do that much 😂🤔
Full amendments showing relevant info. 👍
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/2280/made
GrindFolls

Post by GrindFolls »

Considering this is the only example of a sign given within the legislation and there has been no update to this section since 1994, one would presume that this is still the only permissible sign.
I’ve always understood that the fronts have to be at least 250mm x 250mm with a border no wider than 20mm and backs at least 400mm x 400mm with a border no wider than 30mm. The yellow section also has to be reflective.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (33.8 KiB) Viewed 124 times
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

LeonGuy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:07 pm

brill thanks! Just need the brain power to tra skate all the legal hargin into layman's English 😂😂
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

GrindFolls wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:08 pm
Considering this is the only example of a sign given within the legislation and there has been no update to this section since 1994, one would presume that this is still the only permissible sign.
I’ve always understood that the fronts have to be at least 250mm x 250mm with a border no wider than 20mm and backs at least 400mm x 400mm with a border no wider than 30mm. The yellow section also has to be reflective.
the regs Leon has linked to says reflective or non reflective, so that bits debunked. But it also just says prescribed sign but doesn't show what exactly that is. Just the necessary dimensions...
GrindFolls

Post by GrindFolls »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:09 pm

the regs Leon has linked to says reflective or non reflective, so that bits debunked. But it also just says prescribed sign but doesn't show what exactly that is. Just the necessary dimensions...
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations which Leon linked to, under the section ‘Signs on busses carrying children’ doesn’t specifically in writing say either about whether the have to be reflective or non-reflective.
However, considering the diagram (Schedule 21A) is from that legislation, I’ve always understood that they have to be reflective and look as that diagram; as I would take that to be the ‘prescribed sign’, otherwise it wouldn’t be in the legislation.
GrindFolls

Post by GrindFolls »

Surely the reason for that specifically being in the legislation is because that is the requirement?
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 115 times
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

GrindFolls wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:11 pm

Surely the reason for that specifically being in the legislation is because that is the requirement?
have you a link for the Web page showing that sign please? As when I looked on the https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ site it just said prescribed sign and no images...
GrindFolls

Post by GrindFolls »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:13 pm

have you a link for the Web page showing that sign please? As when I looked on the https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ site it just said prescribed sign and no images...
Yes, it’s in the legislation.
Scroll down and you’ll see it.
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

GrindFolls wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:13 pm
wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:13 pm

Yes, it’s in the legislation.
Scroll down and you’ll see it.
apologies that's me not scrolling all the way down! Saw the legal jargon then stopped looking!
And thanks for that!
So in that case the HTS services need the yellow and black sign front and rear, but can also have a secondary sign (the digital ones) which can also be used on normal school work as they're not the regulated HTS ones. Would you agree?
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

brill thanks! Just need the brain power to tra skate all the legal hargin into layman's English 😂😂
The regulations state the signs should comply with 21a. Which states reflective material. Quote; "Prescribed sign” "a sign which is of a type shown in Schedule 21A and complies with the requirements of that Schedule.” 👍
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

LeonGuy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:15 pm

The regulations state the signs should comply with 21a. Which states reflective material. Quote; "Prescribed sign” "a sign which is of a type shown in Schedule 21A and complies with the requirements of that Schedule.” 👍
yeah my bad, seen that now. So has to be the non digital version, with a reflective background 250mm and 400mm, front and rear respectively.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

In addition to Leon who posted while I was typing..Here's your answer
https://www.ukschoolsigns.co.uk/school- ... l-bus-sign
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

Dayxana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:17 pm In addition to Leon who posted while I was typing..Here's your answer
so that states it can be either reflective or non reflective, so a digital board would be fine. Maybe the only catch would be to invert the colours so it's black on orange/yellow rather than orange on black? To me that makes sense and follows the guidelines, would you disagree?
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:18 pm
Dayxana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:17 pm In addition to Leon who posted while I was typing..Here's your answer
so that states it can be either reflective or non reflective, so a digital board would be fine. Maybe the only catch would be to invert the colours so it's black on orange/yellow rather than orange on black? To me that makes sense and follows the guidelines, would you disagree?
you must comply with the size requirements
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

Dayxana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:18 pm
wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:18 pm
you must comply with the size requirements
yeah that's understood! 250mm and 400mm square, front and rear respectively. Will have to double check our signs show them at that scale! Thanks!
Miiden

Post by Miiden »

Also must me displayed on exterior of vehicle (not inside windows) same as taxi plates
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

Miiden wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:19 pm Also must me displayed on exterior of vehicle (not inside windows) same as taxi plates
can you link to where that's stated in law please? As all I've read so far is as long as its visible from the front and rear you're okay. Nothing about inside or outside of the vehicle...
Miiden

Post by Miiden »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:20 pm
Miiden wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:19 pm Also must me displayed on exterior of vehicle (not inside windows) same as taxi plates
can you link to where that's stated in law please? As all I've read so far is as long as its visible from the front and rear you're okay. Nothing about inside or outside of the vehicle...
I’ll have a look as it was a few years ago now. The company I worked for gave us sheets of paper printed off a computer. They have to be a set size and reflective. In the end we didn’t need them, the sign is called Geneva sign, basically means, this bus may stop in places other than at bus stops on school runs. We were classed as A to B so none applicable
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

Miiden wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:20 pm
wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:20 pm
I’ll have a look as it was a few years ago now. The company I worked for gave us sheets of paper printed off a computer. They have to be a set size and reflective. In the end we didn’t need them, the sign is called Geneva sign, basically means, this bus may stop in places other than at bus stops on school runs. We were classed as A to B so none applicable
ah, the legislation that people have linked states all HTS services need it; and what the rules for the sign are...
geoffun.Laxr

Post by geoffun.Laxr »

Having driven school buses over many years it doesn't really matter because nobody takes any notice of them, nobody drives any better just because you have 70 odd kids on board or drives with caution because you are at a bus stop letting kids off.
But it doesn't help when service buses run around all day and all week including weekends with these stickers permanently displayed
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

geoffun.Laxr wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 pm Having driven school buses over many years it doesn't really matter because nobody takes any notice of them, nobody drives any better just because you have 70 odd kids on board or drives with caution because you are at a bus stop letting kids off.
But it doesn't help when service buses run around all day and all week including weekends with these stickers permanently displayed
ah but it does matter as its the law. Yes it may make zero difference to other drivers, but as a responsible driver/operator its important to show willing and correct rules are being followed!
geoffun.Laxr

Post by geoffun.Laxr »

wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 pm
geoffun.Laxr wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 pm Having driven school buses over many years it doesn't really matter because nobody takes any notice of them, nobody drives any better just because you have 70 odd kids on board or drives with caution because you are at a bus stop letting kids off.
ah but it does matter as its the law. Yes it may make zero difference to other drivers, but as a responsible driver/operator its important to show willing and correct rules are being followed!
totally agree mate, our permanent school buses had stickers on the bodywork and our coaches had boards that were removable when not involving children as passengers
The law should include to have the signs removed when not on schools
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

geoffun.Laxr wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:22 pm
wintt4freen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 pm
totally agree mate, our permanent school buses had stickers on the bodywork and our coaches had boards that were removable when not involving children as passengers
The law should include to have the signs removed when not on schools
aye! Unfortunately the rules just say what should happen when kids are on the vehicle, but not what to do when they aren't!
lee+rmyami

Post by lee+rmyami »

The electrical lights are only law in Northern Ireland I believe, don't think it has become mandatory in GB yet.
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

lee+rmyami wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:23 pm The electrical lights are only law in Northern Ireland I believe, don't think it has become mandatory in GB yet.
yeah already been answered bud. By UK law any Home to School services need the prescribed sign (the physical sign, not the digital one) front and rear of the vehicle with front no smaller than 250mm and rear no smaller than 400mm square.
They should then be removed for any other school work that isn't a HTS service. For school trips, baths runs, etc. the digital signs can be used to increase awareness to the public that there are children on board.

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”