A question for anyone who started with a PCV licence and has added HGV. Please only answer if you know Have you ever

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
MarMaryzon

A question for anyone who started with a PCV licence and has added HGV. Please only answer if you know Have you ever

Post by MarMaryzon »

A question for anyone who started with a PCV licence and has added HGV.
I have two jobs, one is a freelance Coach driver the other is in TV, I have been asked if I could drive a converted RV (as they called it) for a few weeks however I need Cat C for over 7.5t. even though an RV is effectively the same as a Coach.
Have you ever added Cat C, did you have to do the whole test as if you didn't have PCV or could you skip some bits?
Please only answer if you know.
movest_1285

Re: A question for anyone who started with a PCV licence and has added HGV. Please only answer if you know Have you ever

Post by movest_1285 »

2 different tests is what they tell you so you would need to pass full 7.5t test
MarMaryzon

Re: A question for anyone who started with a PCV licence and has added HGV. Please only answer if you know Have you ever

Post by MarMaryzon »

movest_1285 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:48 pm 2 different tests is what they tell you so you would need to pass full 7.5t test
I'd be OK if it was under 7.5t due to grandfather rights but it's gonna contain a radio studio so unlikely to be under 7.5.
movest_1285

Post by movest_1285 »

MarMaryzon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:49 pm
movest_1285 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:48 pm 2 different tests is what they tell you so you would need to pass full 7.5t test
I'd be OK if it was under 7.5t due to grandfather rights but it's gonna contain a radio studio so unlikely to be under 7.5.
I ment to put Cat C test fat thumbs was going to fast ! I asked the question to my MP he had a Reply for the secretary of transport saying it was a different test blah blah blah
Wilkiesful

Post by Wilkiesful »

Two very different vehicles to drive so totally different tests need to start from the beginning getting your HGV
MarMaryzon

Post by MarMaryzon »

Wilkiesful wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:50 pm Two very different vehicles to drive so totally different tests need to start from the beginning getting your HGV
Cheers.
hybe

Post by hybe »

Wilkiesful wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:50 pm Two very different vehicles to drive so totally different tests need to start from the beginning getting your HGV
same test.
Wilkiesful

Post by Wilkiesful »

hybe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:52 pm
same test.
it really isn't... A loaded HGV handles differently than a bus, there is different laws regarding HGVs that don't apply to buses so saying it's the same test is wrong
hybe

Post by hybe »

Wilkiesful wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:53 pm
same test.
it really isn't... A loaded HGV handles differently than a bus, there is different laws regarding HGVs that don't apply to buses so saying it's the same test is wrong
i know, i drive and teach both, the test is the same and goods do not come before human life, D and D+E have right of way over hgv.
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

hybe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:53 pm

same test.
i know, i drive and teach both, the test is the same and goods do not come before human life, D and D+E have right of way over hgv.
If you teach both, you will know that the examiner marking criteria for the 3a reverse exercise, on road 3b test and the tell/ show are different for both C and D tests. Test routes and examiner instruction will also differ, due to restrictions imposed on Cat C vehicles that doesn't apply to Cat D vehicles.
hybe

Post by hybe »

LeonGuy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:54 pm

If you teach both, you will know that the examiner marking criteria for the 3a reverse exercise, on road 3b test and the tell/ show are different for both C and D tests. Test routes and examiner instruction will also differ, due to restrictions imposed on Cat C vehicles that doesn't apply to Cat D vehicles.
The module 3a test consists of an S shape reversing manoeuvre into a coned area representing a loading bay and backing up to a barrier. If you are doing a class 1, Cat CE 3a test this will also consist of an uncoupling exercise as there are no places to do it on open road.
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

hybe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:54 pm
LeonGuy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:54 pm

The module 3a test consists of an S shape reversing manoeuvre into a coned area representing a loading bay and backing up to a barrier. If you are doing a class 1, Cat CE 3a test this will also consist of an uncoupling exercise as there are no places to do it on open road.
The acceptable final positioning is different for Cat D and C and there is no requirement for a barrier on the Cat D. The uncouple has always been done in a secure area, never outside the test centre. Now we have the 3a as a separate test, it must be passed before taking the on road 3b test.
kenseqqueV8

Post by kenseqqueV8 »

You will only need to do the Practical C driving test. However, you must have a C provisional entitlement on your licence. Took mine(C) in 2014
Kennis-Inside

Post by Kennis-Inside »

You've still got to do the whole process. The company I wanted to do HGV with usually ran the courses of 4 days driving test on the 5th. I asked to cut that down to 3 days driving test on 4th day, had no issues and getting used the vehicle took half a day max. Of course I had to arrange all of the theory and extra bits to be done on top of that.
If it were me, I'd take advantage of the recent rule changes and go straight to c+e. Won't take you long to adjust and you'll add another string to your bow for almost same amount of investment you'd be putting into your cat C.
musatto.2198

Post by musatto.2198 »

U need to do all the test for Hgv as they’re not the same
rabert1mo

Post by rabert1mo »

As you already hold your psv licence you can go onto https://www.gov.uk/ and send an email to get automatic hgv provisional entitlement free of charge.
You won't get a replacement licence, but anyone doing a licence check on your details it will be there.
abaddyTEC

Post by abaddyTEC »

I've had ' C ' for 40 years. 20 years ago I wanted ' D ', had to do complete theory and practical to get ' D '.
Col_Essence

Post by Col_Essence »

I did it the other way and had to do whole test and training.
Younglz

Post by Younglz »

Is it a coach converted?, if so just leave 10 seats in it and your bus licence is good to drive it, if not you need cat C to drive it
MarMaryzon

Post by MarMaryzon »

Younglz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:01 pm Is it a coach converted?, if so just leave 10 seats in it and your bus licence is good to drive it, if not you need cat C to drive it
Don't know yet but that's interesting know.
RobertBe

Post by RobertBe »

Younglz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:01 pm Is it a coach converted?, if so just leave 10 seats in it and your bus licence is good to drive it, if not you need cat C to drive it
depends what it's classed as on the log book regardless of the seats
Younglz

Post by Younglz »

RobertBe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:02 pm
that would depends on the conversion
MarMaryzon

Post by MarMaryzon »

Younglz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:02 pm
RobertBe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:02 pm
that would depends on the conversion
Running it past my boss to see if it's possible to convert one of our coaches. We do national tours so hopefully it would be doable.
col9karoxt

Post by col9karoxt »

Are you quite certain about that, in my days a PSV was eight or more passenger seats, so you registered the bus as a seven seater by removing one seat, then you could use it for private hire. When did it change?
Younglz

Post by Younglz »

col9karoxt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 pm
Are you quite certain about that, in my days a PSV was eight or more passenger seats, so you registered the bus as a seven seater by removing one seat, then you could use it for private hire. When did it change?
9 seats and up to 16 seats is a category d1, above 16 is category d. It changed in 1997, weights and heights then came into it. Saying that if a bus is over 30 year's old, then you can drive on a car license for private use, but can only have 8 passengers
AndyAut

Post by AndyAut »

You’ll need to do a class 2 test… so may as well take ur class 1 as it’s the same price these days (I work for a driver training company)
291-jameraze

Post by 291-jameraze »

AndyAut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 pm You’ll need to do a class 2 test… so may as well take ur class 1 as it’s the same price these days (I work for a driver training company)
surprised at you for using the terms that stopped being de rigour in 1994
AndyAut

Post by AndyAut »

291-jameraze wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 pm
AndyAut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 pm You’ll need to do a class 2 test… so may as well take ur class 1 as it’s the same price these days (I work for a driver training company)
it’s still the words used on the street, suppose it’s still the same as people calling the DVSA VOSA
291-jameraze

Post by 291-jameraze »

AndyAut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:08 pm
it’s still the words used on the street, suppose it’s still the same as people calling the DVSA VOSA
quite. There is however ambiguity as at one point class 2 referred to wagon & drag so I was told.
I need to do roadroller (G) and tracked (H)
AndyAut

Post by AndyAut »

291-jameraze wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm

quite. There is however ambiguity as at one point class 2 referred to wagon & drag so I was told.
wagon and drag is C1E that’s a class 2 with a trailer
291-jameraze

Post by 291-jameraze »

AndyAut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm
291-jameraze wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm

wagon and drag is C1E that’s a class 2 with a trailer
I mean yes C+E, I know that, but in the past it was a separate test. There are some old hands who a C+E with restriction code 'drawbar trailers only'
MarMaryzon

Post by MarMaryzon »

Thanks everyone. I think unless they are gonna pay for it then I'll leave it. Although I might be able to convince them. We'll see.

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”