Hi does anyone know if you can obtain an operators licence without buying the truck yet? Or can you get away with

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Partell.Xion

Hi does anyone know if you can obtain an operators licence without buying the truck yet? Or can you get away with

Post by Partell.Xion »

Hi does anyone know if you can obtain an operators licence without buying the truck yet? Or can you get away with buying a trailer first to cover you for the o licence?
JPGs2263

Re: Hi does anyone know if you can obtain an operators licence without buying the truck yet? Or can you get away with

Post by JPGs2263 »

I obtained my o licence 8 weeks prior to buying my lorry
Casealtrai

Re: Hi does anyone know if you can obtain an operators licence without buying the truck yet? Or can you get away with

Post by Casealtrai »

A condition when apply for o licence is that the licence applicant/ holder must have “access” to a vehicle. This means that the holder owns at least one vehicle or has in place a formal contract with a hire company, other operator or other organization to hire one when needed.
I had a client of mine that when we applied he was asked by Tc to prove he has access to vehicle.
JPGs2263

Post by JPGs2263 »

Casealtrai wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm A condition when apply for o licence is that the licence applicant/ holder must have “access” to a vehicle. This means that the holder owns at least one vehicle or has in place a formal contract with a hire company, other operator or other organization to hire one when needed.
I had a client of mine that when we applied he was asked by Tc to prove he has access to vehicle.
I had a hired lorry before I bought my own lorry
Casealtrai

Post by Casealtrai »

JPGs2263 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm
Casealtrai wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm A condition when apply for o licence is that the licence applicant/ holder must have “access” to a vehicle. This means that the holder owns at least one vehicle or has in place a formal contract with a hire company, other operator or other organization to hire one when needed.
exactly, you can prove by sending them an agreement with a hire truck company. My client was in same situation and he had an agreement with a hire company
JPGs2263

Post by JPGs2263 »

Casealtrai wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 pm
JPGs2263 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm
exactly, you can prove by sending them an agreement with a hire truck company. My client was in same situation and he had an agreement with a hire company
when applying for Ur o licence once u send Ur application u may be granted an interim licence while Ur application is being considered
madalea

Post by madalea »

I did not get asked that, and mine was two years ago.
Casealtrai

Post by Casealtrai »

madalea wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:05 pm
I did not get asked that, and mine was two years ago.
most of cases they don’t ask but in last time same case workers are asking
Richarigor

Post by Richarigor »

At the moment the OTC is very slow at best. It would be better to apply and then get wheels as if they deny it for any reason then you have not wasted your money. Get in touch with me as I help companies get their licence and do it right from the start.
generfend

Post by generfend »

You are best to obtain the o licence then by the truck, o licence is not guaranteed to be granted even if you're granted a interim
sinlime

Post by sinlime »

You don't need buy truck to get it.
Truck you need for work if you decide start later you keep your OL
When you buy a truck add vehicle on your OL.
You need OL for get a truck but don't need a truck for get OL
vikkLugents

Post by vikkLugents »

I didn’t own a truck or have a reg to put down before I got my license and I applied for mine sept 22. You’re best off getting your O license before buying a truck I would say. Then when it’s granted and you do eventually buy or lease you just update them with the reg. Also you could have an operators license for 6 trucks and only run one, you don’t have to own 6, what you apply for on the license is just the max.
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

You don't need to buy a truck to get your o licence
crisbrwn

Post by crisbrwn »

incaRida wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 pm You don't need to buy a truck to get your o licence
but you do need to pay for your parking upfront 🤔
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

crisbrwn wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 pm
incaRida wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 pm You don't need to buy a truck to get your o licence
but you do need to pay for your parking upfront 🤔
yes you are correct but he does not ask that question he may own the op center already

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”