Re drivers CPC. Now we all have opinions on it, but like it or loath it it’s here to stay for the foreseeable future

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
NedMorley

Re drivers CPC. Now we all have opinions on it, but like it or loath it it’s here to stay for the foreseeable future

Post by NedMorley »

Re drivers CPC. Now we all have opinions on it, but like it or loath it it’s here to stay for the foreseeable future.
Now not looking for negative remarks, but what would you like to see in the course that would improve it, gain knowledge and make it more interesting.
gette

Re: Re drivers CPC. Now we all have opinions on it, but like it or loath it it’s here to stay for the foreseeable future

Post by gette »

Good post. I wait with bated breath for the comments. Personally i would focus heavily on tacho hours and vehicle safety.
KayKevior

Re: Re drivers CPC. Now we all have opinions on it, but like it or loath it it’s here to stay for the foreseeable future

Post by KayKevior »

i had my licence revoked last year y can we not get a refund on opc
Briangu

Post by Briangu »

KayKevior wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:24 pm i had my licence revoked last year y can we not get a refund on opc
Totally agree. I had mine revoked 3 yrs ago. Luckily i proved the doctors wrong and got it back 18 months ago.
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

A simple solution is to have a defined set list of modules and you are required to complete 5 different ones off the list, not simply 35 hours of time.
peteeden179

Post by peteeden179 »

olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm A simple solution is to have a defined set list of modules and you are required to complete 5 different ones off the list, not simply 35 hours of time.
That's how it is done in Ireland. Only problem is the modules aren't changed year by year and half of each module is all stats, facts and figures. Also, if you are qualified for both Bus and Truck you have to complete 6 modules.
It's a great idea but could do with revising a bit, maybe include some first aid or some road time re defensive driving.
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

I get the 5 modules, I get the 5x7 hour days in a classroom..... what baffles me, is that you can do the same 5 modules!?!? Just ludicrous!
More in-depth module on drivers hours would help (judging by some of the questions)....
OliverroMr

Post by OliverroMr »

The importance of "any" ongoing training is what you put into it. Yes there is a lot of "good lord really?" about it, but I always try to put a positive spin on it, and I always learn something.
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

First aid should be compulsory and at least 1 if not 2 modules regarding drivers hours regulations. The amount of Drivers that don’t know the simplest parts of the regulations is scary.
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

grayunn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm First aid should be compulsory and at least 1 if not 2 modules regarding drivers hours regulations. The amount of Drivers that don’t know the simplest parts of the regulations is scary.
Why first aid?
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

jaters.2018 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm
grayunn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm First aid should be compulsory and at least 1 if not 2 modules regarding drivers hours regulations. The amount of Drivers that don’t know the simplest parts of the regulations is scary.
Why first aid?
I feel every driver should be a first Aider. First bus at one point years ago put every driver thru a first aid course.
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

I sort of agree but feel that First Aid should be a separate item anyway, not instead of but in addition to..
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

grayunn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 pm
Why first aid?
I feel every driver should be a first Aider. First bus at one point years ago put every driver thru a first aid course.
Ok, but why? I’ve done loads of first aid courses, through army and various manager jobs, where it was a requirement. But I don’t see why a coach driver should be first aid trained. Surely that’s the responsibility of the group leader/teachers...
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

jaters.2018 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm

Why first aid?
Ok, but why? I’ve done loads of first aid courses, through army and various manager jobs, where it was a requirement. But I don’t see why a coach driver should be first aid trained. Surely that’s the responsibility of the group leader/teachers...
Service buses don’t even have first aid kits???? Stupid decision by Vosa/Dept of transport etc
I just feel every driver should have a minimum of first aid. Every little helps.
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

grayunn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm

Service buses don’t even have first aid kits???? Stupid decision by Vosa/Dept of transport etc
I just feel every driver should have a minimum of first aid. Every little helps.
Personal responsibility, as we’re on the road a lot there must be a number of incidents where an appropriately skilled driver could help, at the extreme, save lives... I appreciate that the conversation with traffic as to why you were late afterwards would be a different issue - maybe get the patient to sign a printout before the are put in the stretcher? 🙂
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm

Personal responsibility, as we’re on the road a lot there must be a number of incidents where an appropriately skilled driver could help, at the extreme, save lives... I appreciate that the conversation with traffic as to why you were late afterwards would be a different issue - maybe get the patient to sign a printout before the are put in the stretcher? 🙂
You can’t get sued if something goes wrong.
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

What if the group leader / teacher are incapacitated. Plus with the amount of people we carry never to many first aiders
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

Markwripe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:34 pm
What if the group leader / teacher are incapacitated. Plus with the amount of people we carry never to many first aiders
So if someone’s arm is spurting blood up to your ceiling you just gonna Sit there and watch?? Worried about getting sued? Crap. Human instinct-you’d help, For what you can. Sued???? 🤔🤔
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

grayunn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm
So if someone’s arm is spurting blood up to your ceiling you just gonna Sit there and watch?? Worried about getting sued? Crap. Human instinct-you’d help, For what you can. Sued???? 🤔🤔
That is the only issue Grayunn, this is why many don’t help, I think it’s a good idea. I’m first aid trained and always stop and offer assistance if I can. That first response is know to be the difference between life and death
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm

That is the only issue, this is why many don’t help, I think it’s a good idea. I’m first aid trained and always stop and offer assistance if I can. That first response is know to be the difference between life and death
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

The only potential prosecution would be if you carried out procedures in a different manner to the way you have been trained and make the situation worse. (google SARHA act, 2015) I've had passenger fall ill on tour (one with a stroke) Having some First Aid knowledge in the first couple of minutes can sustain life until help arrives.
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

Markwripe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 pm
grayunn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm

That is the only issue Grayunn, this is why many don’t help, I think it’s a good idea. I’m first aid trained and always stop and offer assistance if I can. That first response is know to be the difference between life and death
Maybe a bit different if we all had defibrillators in our vehicles! I know folks that would try and jump start they’re cars with these! Can you imagine them trying to resuscitate someone? 🤔😳🤣
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

I never mentioned being sued..... I’m trained, so would always help. My question was why? Not everyone is comfortable with providing first aid, why pressure someone into helping, when they can do more harm than good? Being a first aider should be a choice. Not trying to cause an argument, but it’s a massive responsibility that a lot of people aren’t capable/comfortable with.
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

jaters.2018 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 pm

I never mentioned being sued..... I’m trained, so would always help. My question was why? Not everyone is comfortable with providing first aid, why pressure someone into helping, when they can do more harm than good? Being a first aider should be a choice. Not trying to cause an argument, but it’s a massive responsibility that a lot of people aren’t capable/comfortable with.
but surely there is a difference between being a nominated ‘First Aider’ and having done first aid training? Nurses receive very little first aid training...
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:40 pm

but surely there is a difference between being a nominated ‘First Aider’ and having done first aid training? Nurses receive very little first aid training...
‘nominated’ means your obliged to be active....
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

jaters.2018 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:40 pm

my point. But not all first trained staff are ‘nominated’ but at least have some basic knowledge
jaters.2018

Post by jaters.2018 »

olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:41 pm

my point. But not all first trained staff are ‘nominated’ but at least have some basic knowledge
my view is that it should be your choice to assist, not your obligation.
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

jaters.2018 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:41 pm
olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:41 pm

my view is that it should be your choice to assist, not your obligation.
in which case you take on the extra remuneration for being nominated, or you don’t... I’m very naive...
aj_jack

Post by aj_jack »

Someone who knows what they're talking about
Briangu

Post by Briangu »

Not being able to do the same part 5 times. If you have to do it, it should be the whole thing.
pottser

Post by pottser »

Instructors who know what they’re talking about
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

There are plenty of good, informative course modules. (and some really crap ones!) If drivers (and operators) spent time choosing modules that were relevant and needed, instead of just booking the cheapest or next available to get the hours in, (and then bitching that dcpc is a waste of time, whilst not knowing the basics on drivers hours) it would work better. Drivers hours should be a compulsory module, completed at least once in the 5 year cycle.
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

I’m not criticizing anyone in particular but I wonder if there are any companies that buy in the service where price is the important aspect, just to have boxes ticked rather than drivers educated and skilled...
WillyJeans

Post by WillyJeans »

I tried to design a first aid course that taught the things that could happen on a coach Like strokes heart attacks tissue damage due to thin skin, control of bleeding, CPR, fits. Evacuation of coach all covered on a first aid course but how to treat them on the coach due to lack of space and passengers being all round you but it did not fit in with standard training by First aid Trainers.
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

WillyJeans wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:52 pm I tried to design a first aid course that taught the things that could happen on a coach Like strokes heart attacks tissue damage due to thin skin, control of bleeding, CPR, fits. Evacuation of coach all covered on a first aid course but how to treat them on the coach due to lack of space and passengers being all round you but it did not fit in with standard training by First aid Trainers.
Sounds like it should have met the criteria, as its more or less the same content as the ones I run. Who said it didn't fit the standard?
WillyJeans

Post by WillyJeans »

LeonGuy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:52 pm
WillyJeans wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:52 pm I tried to design a first aid course that taught the things that could happen on a coach Like strokes heart attacks tissue damage due to thin skin, control of bleeding, CPR, fits. Evacuation of coach all covered on a first aid course but how to treat them on the coach due to lack of space and passengers being all round you but it did not fit in with standard training by First aid Trainers.
Sounds like it should have met the criteria, as its more or less the same content as the ones I run. Who said it didn't fit the standard?
It was down to politics that’s all I am saying 😂
hanlo.2313

Post by hanlo.2313 »

When i did my cpc we had a whole day on drivers hours and a day on first aid
MitchellenXmc

Post by MitchellenXmc »

Judging by some of the answers given on here. Id like to see drivers paying more attention in cpc training!
SafeCoach

Post by SafeCoach »

MitchellenXmc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 pm Judging by some of the answers given on here. Id like to see drivers paying more attention in cpc training!
Then stop making it so dull and uninteresting
wilk1stom

Post by wilk1stom »

More relevant courses.
Obviously tacho courses are great, first aid useful.
I did a London driving cpc course that was helpful.
Sign language is not so useful.
Manual handling doesn’t allow for being bent over in a locker lifting 25kg suitcases etc.
What about map reading, advanced driving and Highway Code,
basic mechanics course to help you on the road.
pottser

Post by pottser »

I don’t agree with a set syllabus of modules, although I do agree you can’t do the same one twice. Should have some options. ADR can count towards cpc but not everyone should do it.
I did ipaf which helped me at work and counted towards cpc.
Any periodic training should count
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

pottser wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 pm I don’t agree with a set syllabus of modules, although I do agree you can’t do the same one twice. Should have some options. ADR can count towards cpc but not everyone should do it.
any accredited periodic training...
pottser

Post by pottser »

olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 pm
pottser wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 pm I don’t agree with a set syllabus of modules, although I do agree you can’t do the same one twice. Should have some options. ADR can count towards cpc but not everyone should do it.
any accredited periodic training...
yep - that’s what I meant 😉
goird-1483

Post by goird-1483 »

Some golf swing lessons would be nice. Maybe some knitting lessons. Cooking lessons would be nice too.
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

goird-1483 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:58 pm Some golf swing lessons would be nice. Maybe some knitting lessons. Cooking lessons would be nice too.
maybe you could register those under "driver welfare" 😁
hue.hughes

Post by hue.hughes »

Scrap it it's sh*t waste of time and money
ShantyJEN

Post by ShantyJEN »

I enjoyed first aid using cpr kit
edwan+rogs

Post by edwan+rogs »

Disability awareness...
Blind
Deaf
Autistic
Etc..
Sign language basics
First aid
Foreign language basics ( French, German, Spanish....and Scottish.. )
Exercise and health...I'm not talking about gym membership...just light exercise.
Advanced driving courses
Basic first aid
Basic mechanics
How to smile
Route planning and map reading
This is not extensive or in any particular order...
But most importantly...
DRIVING HOURS...
Oooh and almost as important where to get the best coffee and cakes...and scones with butter jam and cream...
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

edwan+rogs wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm Disability awareness...
Blind
Deaf
Autistic
Etc..
Sign language basics
First aid
Exercise and health...I'm not talking about gym membership...just light exercise.
Advanced driving courses
Basic first aid
Basic mechanics
How to smile
But most importantly...
DRIVING HOURS...
Oooh and almost as important where to get the best coffee and cakes...and scones with butter jam and cream...
waistcoat fitting, style etc?
edwan+rogs

Post by edwan+rogs »

olea2ment wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:05 pm
edwan+rogs wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm Disability awareness...
Blind
Deaf
Autistic
Etc..
Sign language basics
First aid
Advanced driving courses
Basic first aid
Basic mechanics
How to smile
But most importantly...
DRIVING HOURS...
waistcoat fitting, style etc?
I did forget that along with triaxle test....😂
JoSubject

Post by JoSubject »

I’ve just done an enjoyable 7hr syllabus. DFA. Driver First Assist. Brilliant course covering basics of being first on scene of accident/incident and basic first aid.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Drivers hours should be compulsory with an exam and if you fail you can't drive until you pass.
avisoDeon

Post by avisoDeon »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:06 pm Drivers hours should be compulsory with an exam and if you fail you can't drive until you pass.
Agreed with you mate
olea2ment

Post by olea2ment »

KEINTRINP341 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:13 pm First aid and how to handle children
I did an excellent course with the BBC about dealing with kids, unusually for the BBC they were actually quite sensible about it, adopting a reasonable approach.
However, although not a part of the course, it turns out that you’re not allowed to shoot the buggers...
SafeCoach

Post by SafeCoach »

Would make a change to do a PSV related module my last ones were my ADR licence, Another involved Load security when I was at the MOD. They have all been HGV related so far on the bright side i don't have to suffer anymore is 2024 now
GEOFFERGo

Post by GEOFFERGo »

Allow some other T..T too sit in for you
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

I take it all those who think it should be abolished and a waste of time are fully aware of ALL the drivers hours regs then..
GEOFFERGo

Post by GEOFFERGo »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:18 pm I take it all those who think it should be abolished and a waste of time are fully aware of ALL the drivers hours regs then..
Total bull sh**.
GEOFFERGo

Post by GEOFFERGo »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:18 pm I take it all those who think it should be abolished and a waste of time are fully aware of ALL the drivers hours regs then..
It's a scam always was and always will be.
wilk1stom

Post by wilk1stom »

There is a place for extra training. Of course laws Highway Code and regulations change over time and you wouldn’t necessarily know if you took your licence 30 years ago. (Example lorry speed limits going up to 50 - does every lorry driver know this?) and of course we can forget things.
Unfortunately the cpc isn’t fit for purpose.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

wilk1stom wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 pm
There is a place for extra training. Of course laws Highway Code and regulations change over time and you wouldn’t necessarily know if you took your licence 30 years ago. (Example lorry speed limits going up to 50 - does every lorry driver know this?) and of course we can forget things.
Not properly administered maybe. But the number of drivers who talk absolute sh*te about rules is appalling.
So it needs revamping to force people to wise up!
wilk1stom

Post by wilk1stom »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 pm
Not properly administered maybe. But the number of drivers who talk absolute sh*te about rules is appalling.
exactly. Should be mandatory that any course is directly about the job not being able to do 5 sign language courses, or 5 courses about loading lorries and then call yourself a coach driver.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

wilk1stom wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:21 pm

exactly. Should be mandatory that any course is directly about the job not being able to do 5 sign language courses, or 5 courses about loading lorries and then call yourself a coach driver.
Exactly
wilk1stom

Post by wilk1stom »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Exactly
And as for 5 days in 5 years. I literally did them all in my first year so ended up with 9 years on my card. So I’ll have learned nothing in a large period of time, then will be off the road 5 times in a year again. It should be once a year about the job. Reminding us of driving rules and updating us on any changes in laws etc.
GEOFFERGo

Post by GEOFFERGo »

wilk1stom wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Exactly
And as for 5 days in 5 years. I literally did them all in my first year so ended up with 9 years on my card. So I’ll have learned nothing in a large period of time, then will be off the road 5 times in a year again. It should be once a year about the job. Reminding us of driving rules and updating us on any changes in laws etc.
The government want professional drivers but allow some employers to pay peanuts and drivers put up with it sometimes on less than minimum wage.
wilk1stom

Post by wilk1stom »

GEOFFERGo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm

Exactly
The government want professional drivers but allow some employers to pay peanuts and drivers put up with it sometimes on less than minimum wage.
To be controversial, they could use the money raised from a reformed cpc system to fund dvsa. Better educated drivers, and less cowboys operating trying to undercut and take business from us proper compliant companies/drivers.
GEOFFERGo

Post by GEOFFERGo »

wilk1stom wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm
GEOFFERGo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm

To be controversial, they could use the money raised from a reformed cpc system to fund dvsa. Better educated drivers, and less cowboys operating trying to undercut and take business from us proper compliant companies/drivers.
I agree but what do you expect when McDonald's pay more than some PCV drivers earn?
RohnTuanty

Post by RohnTuanty »

I find the whole Drivers CPC an insult to be honest Dayxana, as I already hold an Operator's CPC qualification which should in my opinion over rule the need for me to sit Drivers CPC in order to drive my own Coach it's all about the £££!
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

RohnTuanty wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:25 pm
I find the whole Drivers CPC an insult to be honest Dayxana, as I already hold an Operator's CPC qualification which should in my opinion over rule the need for me to sit Drivers CPC in order to drive my own Coach it's all about the £££!
In some cases you're right. But, the operator CPC doesn't always cover drivers hours as such, you're already supposed to know.
Some operators don't even know the rules.
GEOFFERGo

Post by GEOFFERGo »

It's a money making scam for the company's providing the service and the government changing them to do so.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

GEOFFERGo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm
It's a money making scam for the company's providing the service and the government changing them to do so.
That doesn't make a sensible reply to my comment
GEOFFERGo

Post by GEOFFERGo »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm
GEOFFERGo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm
That doesn't make a sensible reply to my comment
Well Dayxana here is a sensible reply. You or a company invested God knows how much for you to be a professional driver with training and one or two tests depending on when you trained. So why then should you or your company have to spend more money every five years to line the pockets of companies to tell you how to suck eggs. As for drivers hours that should go into more depth within the theory test and possibly made less complex to understand.

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”