My son wants to start up his own business delivering cars. Can anyone get any advice please.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Paulynn-Jas

My son wants to start up his own business delivering cars. Can anyone get any advice please.

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Charmark

Re: My son wants to start up his own business delivering cars. Can anyone get any advice please.

Post by Charmark »

mcGarrow_Jr

Re: My son wants to start up his own business delivering cars. Can anyone get any advice please.

Post by mcGarrow_Jr »

Not to sound like an arse, and I mean this in the best interests.
If he needs advice in here, then maybe he isn't in the best position to do so just now.
I would advise building up contacts, and make sure he has the work available before investing any money.
GARRDENS

Post by GARRDENS »

mcGarrow_Jr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 pm Not to sound like an arse, and I mean this in the best interests.
If he needs advice in here, then maybe he isn't in the best position to do so just now.
I would advise building up contacts, and make sure he has the work available before investing any money.
at least his asking for advice regardless of being on here. Yes there are idiots that will give him bum advice. But there are plenty with experience too
mcGarrow_Jr

Post by mcGarrow_Jr »

GARRDENS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 pm
mcGarrow_Jr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 pm Not to sound like an arse, and I mean this in the best interests.
at least his asking for advice regardless of being on here. Yes there are idiots that will give him bum advice. But there are plenty with experience too
so if you don't have any experience in the field, who do you listen too for advice? Maybe they do have experience, I don't know.
Could be a costly mistake.
I just know myself, if I was gonna sink money into a business, I wouldn't be coming on social media for advice. I would be going to companies who do have experience and take it from there.
GARRDENS

Post by GARRDENS »

mcGarrow_Jr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:19 pm
so if you don't have any experience in the field, who do you listen too for advice? Maybe they do have experience, I don't know.
I just know myself, if I was gonna sink money into a business, I wouldn't be coming on social media for advice. I would be going to companies who do have experience and take it from there.
if it was a totally bad idea. There wouldn’t be so many at it. Depends on the work you land and rates etc. he will either succeed or fail. But wouldn’t put anyone off trying it.
mcGarrow_Jr

Post by mcGarrow_Jr »

GARRDENS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:20 pm
mcGarrow_Jr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:19 pm

if it was a totally bad idea. There wouldn’t be so many at it. Depends on the work you land and rates etc. he will either succeed or fail. But wouldn’t put anyone off trying it.
I'm not trying to put them off it.
Just offering advice, just like the post asked.
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

well it's me that's asking he wants to try
mcGarrow_Jr

Post by mcGarrow_Jr »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:20 pm
by all means, and I wish him well.
You asked for advice, I have given said advice.
Don't know why Garrdens had to but in to be fair. I thought I gave decent advice.
I wouldn't jump into it unless he does his research.
GARRDENS

Post by GARRDENS »

mcGarrow_Jr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:21 pm
Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:20 pm
by all means, and I wish him well.
You asked for advice, I have given said advice.
Don't know why Garrdens had to but in to be fair. I thought I gave decent advice.
I wouldn't jump into it unless he does his research.
It’s a forum. I’m entitled to but in as you call it. If your worried about your opinion being challenged in a forum don’t post on it 🤷‍♂️ simple 😂
DRYUTHURD

Post by DRYUTHURD »

If he uses a 4x4 or van & trailer he will come under tacho rules and tacho fitted to the towing vehicle, dvla website can help more 👍
brendrop

Post by brendrop »

https://www.shiply.com/ to bid on work. Try and get the lightest truck possible, Citroen Relay or similar with an alloy body. Make sure he gets insurance for vehicle collection and delivery, recovery insurance is about 3 times more.
Osy-Mixiano

Post by Osy-Mixiano »

It’s hard graft, not easy delivering cars, vans and the like. Does he have any experience loading and carrying cars and vans?
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Osy-Mixiano wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 pm It’s hard graft, not easy delivering cars, vans and the like. Does he have any experience loading and carrying cars and vans?
yes his working on recovery now
Osy-Mixiano

Post by Osy-Mixiano »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 pm
Osy-Mixiano wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 pm It’s hard graft, not easy delivering cars, vans and the like. Does he have any experience loading and carrying cars and vans?
yes his working on recovery now
brilliant
lewisallo

Post by lewisallo »

I did the same when I turned 17 running 3.5 vans. I’m more then happy to have a chat with you.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

lewisallo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:26 pm I did the same when I turned 17 running 3.5 vans. I’m more then happy to have a chat with you.
great I will tell him
2300.otlum

Post by 2300.otlum »

lewisallo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:26 pm I did the same when I turned 17 running 3.5 vans. I’m more then happy to have a chat with you.
I will message you mate in the evening, if you don’t mind.
danorpi

Post by danorpi »

Don't do it. Too many idiots out there that will undercut massively! Been there and done it!
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

danorpi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 pm Don't do it. Too many idiots out there that will undercut massively! Been there and done it!
yes some one else told him that but his stubborn.
danorpi

Post by danorpi »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm
danorpi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 pm Don't do it. Too many idiots out there that will undercut massively! Been there and done it!
honestly not worth the chew! Fighting for jobs is a 24/7 thing just about until you get reputation, if you can get reputation. And then you're doing 25hrs a day to make ends meet!
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

danorpi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm
Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm
honestly not worth the chew! Fighting for jobs is a 24/7 thing just about until you get reputation, if you can get reputation. And then you're doing 25hrs a day to make ends meet!
maybe when he reads all this he will change his mind
Allisonix

Post by Allisonix »

If its on its gone simple
Eduarze

Post by Eduarze »

If you ask for your son, that advice the guy to do anything else😉
Jonesin

Post by Jonesin »

Eduarze wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 pm If you ask for your son, that advice the guy to do anything else😉
what?
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Eduarze wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 pm If you ask for your son, that advice the guy to do anything else😉
what
Eduarze

Post by Eduarze »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 pm
what
if he can't ask about job ,how going or anything else and you ask for him as mother ,,he isn't able to do that job . That was the point😉
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Eduarze wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 pm
what
if he can't ask about job ,how going or anything else and you ask for him as mother ,,he isn't able to do that job . That was the point😉
like I said he doesn't know I put this on here read what I have put that's 2stupid men on here jog on
Eduarze

Post by Eduarze »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 pm

what
like I said he doesn't know I put this on here read what I have put that's 2stupid men on here jog on
the point is to take attitude alone, teach him to sort a problem alone. The people laugh, because hi try to start a business but ask the mother for him . No-one was born ready learnt 😉 but he have to ask for him self ,not you as mother. Have a good night and I wish you success ✌️
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Eduarze wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 pm
Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 pm

the point is to take attitude alone, teach him to sort a problem alone. The people laugh, because hi try to start a business but ask the mother for him . No-one was born ready learnt 😉 but he have to ask for him self ,not you as mother. Have a good night and I wish you success ✌️
learn to speak English I can't understand you. HE NEVER ASKED ME HE JUST SAYS HE WANTED TO DO IT. SO I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK ON HERE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINKS NOT HIM ME I WANTED TO ASK
Kevive

Post by Kevive »

Go to car local car auctions and give them your details.
Loganiz

Post by Loganiz »

It’s hard work to get it going mate
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Loganiz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 pm It’s hard work to get it going mate
that's what I told him
Loganiz

Post by Loganiz »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 pm
Loganiz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 pm It’s hard work to get it going mate
that's what I told him
I started it a few years back and I know first hand it’s a very competitive industry that’s hard to get your foot in, if it works it’s brilliant but hard work getting to that point
Pcwin1948

Post by Pcwin1948 »

Might be worth trying to work for someone first to see if he likes it and it might get him some contacts
Rich_Spy

Post by Rich_Spy »

Try working for somewhere like Ecomotive and get a bit of experience with it 1st.
KnowDyerr

Post by KnowDyerr »

Yep don’t do it ☹️
IonuttPark

Post by IonuttPark »

Don't listen to everyone else, if he wants to start something .... then good for him ! You can only learn from mistakes . I would say to get his online presence sorted first and go from there see whatever clients he can service
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

IonuttPark wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:39 pm Don't listen to everyone else, if he wants to start something .... then good for him ! You can only learn from mistakes . I would say to get his online presence sorted first and go from there see whatever clients he can service
he is just sick of been spoken to like crap he works on recovery at the moment and loves the job
IonuttPark

Post by IonuttPark »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm
IonuttPark wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:39 pm Don't listen to everyone else, if he wants to start something .... then good for him ! You can only learn from mistakes . I would say to get his online presence sorted first and go from there see whatever clients he can service
he is just sick of been spoken to like crap he works on recovery at the moment and loves the job
Theres always going to be someone ' better ' he needs to find his niche
ChrisMax

Post by ChrisMax »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm
I know what he feels like its probably the same at lots of places as managers can be retards.
kesto.log

Post by kesto.log »

if only i had someone to tell me to go all in, instead of discouraging, when i shared my plans, i doubt i would have to bust my ass 11 hours a day.
grahamer

Post by grahamer »

7.5t is a must ,most of the single car transporters wen loaded are over weight and are waiting to be pulled over by vosa or police
RowAlly

Post by RowAlly »

Buy a really nice truck from Vehicle Logistics UK 👍 It's not quite as easy as it seems so I would suggest he gets some experience loading and unloading cars. I had an excellent driver but couldn't cope with the loading.
beric_elcon

Post by beric_elcon »

Assuming we are talking 3.5t Careful what he buys, lots of vehicles that aren’t fit for purpose out there, don’t believe people with mercs/ivecos saying it’s 1750kg empty… Realistically the best your gonna get is around 2t unladen, something like a Fiat/citroen or other fwd type ones built by AMS or KFS are decent kit. You’ll be limited to medium sized cars and anything RWD will put you on the limit of the rear axle weights….
Avoid a smiley double wheel transit with a heavy steel body.
DVSA are shit hot at sniffing out the 3.5t these days.
It’s who you know in that game so get friendly with salesmen or dealer managers!
The market is flooded with people so it’s not easy…
Never over promise, be reliable, look after your truck as it’s you living
Avoid the bidding work sites like Shiply… The work is under paid and often more hassle than it’s worth!
In reality I wouldn’t recommend it as a business you’ll be lucky if you get rich, more likely just earn a wage but with the hassles that go with running a business!!
but I guess it depends on his other options! GL to him
EdwaNeo

Post by EdwaNeo »

beric_elcon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:46 pm Assuming we are talking 3.5t Careful what he buys, lots of vehicles that aren’t fit for purpose out there, don’t believe people with mercs/ivecos saying it’s 1750kg empty… Realistically the best your gonna get is around 2t unladen, something like a Fiat/citroen or other fwd type ones built by AMS or KFS are decent kit. You’ll be limited to medium sized cars and anything RWD will put you on the limit of the rear axle weights….
It’s who you know in that game so get friendly with salesmen or dealer managers!
Avoid the bidding work sites like Shiply… The work is under paid and often more hassle than it’s worth!
In reality I wouldn’t recommend it as a business you’ll be lucky if you get rich, more likely just earn a wage but with the hassles that go with running a business!!
used to tow a defender 130 on our recovery twin axle beaver. With a discovery 2 td5 perfectly fine and legal 😉
beric_elcon

Post by beric_elcon »

EdwaNeo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:47 pm
beric_elcon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:46 pm Assuming we are talking 3.5t Careful what he buys, lots of vehicles that aren’t fit for purpose out there, don’t believe people with mercs/ivecos saying it’s 1750kg empty… Realistically the best your gonna get is around 2t unladen, something like a Fiat/citroen or other fwd type ones built by AMS or KFS are decent kit. You’ll be limited to medium sized cars and anything RWD will put you on the limit of the rear axle weights….
used to tow a defender 130 on our recovery twin axle beaver. With a discovery 2 td5 perfectly fine and legal 😉
apples and oranges mate… I’m talking about 3.5t beavertail trucks not 4x4 and trailer combo
EdwaNeo

Post by EdwaNeo »

beric_elcon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:47 pm
EdwaNeo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:47 pm
apples and oranges mate… I’m talking about 3.5t beavertail trucks not 4x4 and trailer combo
when I was in recovery we used to do pick-ups on a beaver tail truck. 3.5t but had to reverse them on so the axel weights were legal
Nigemove.Plus

Post by Nigemove.Plus »

this advice is absolutely golden. AMS, KFS are good cab chassis adapters. The one I drove it was a Peugeot 3.5T it was brand new when I started driving it. Drove it for around a year 120k miles. Unladen weight w driver and half tank no spare was around 1600kg from memory. I drove for a company who owned them. Could get a BMW 520d on or a Skoda Superb as you say had to be really careful with axle weights.
moraly-2153

Post by moraly-2153 »

Hold his hand and say: Mummy is here don't fear
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

moraly-2153 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:49 pm Hold his hand and say: Mummy is here don't fear
shut up you stupid d**k
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

moraly-2153 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:49 pm Hold his hand and say: Mummy is here don't fear
he doesn't even know I put this on here I am only trying to help him some mothers do care I feel sorry for you your mother must of not cared what you did sad boy
MilooGans

Post by MilooGans »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:49 pm
he doesn't even know I put this on here I am only trying to help him some mothers do care I feel sorry for you your mother must of not cared what you did sad boy
why you such aggressive? It was joke, chill mommy
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

MilooGans wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 pm
why you such aggressive? It was joke, chill mommy
I just hate stupid men with nothing to say
moraly-2153

Post by moraly-2153 »

no my mum was super mumm. But I didn't want to loose the joke. I rather loose a friend but not a joke...I already can image you telling off whoever leaves bad review on his company s prof
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

moraly-2153 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:51 pm
no my mum was super mumm. But I didn't want to loose the joke. I rather loose a friend but not a joke...I already can image you telling off whoever leaves bad review on his company s prof
yes if he talks sh*t or makes bad jokes
Nigemove.Plus

Post by Nigemove.Plus »

what an idiotic comment, hope you never need any help! 🤦🏻
1849_corgee

Post by 1849_corgee »

Research or ask others doing it what he needs
OHare.Prime

Post by OHare.Prime »

Let him go for it and believe in him all that he can do is his best
alan.CEO

Post by alan.CEO »

Work for someone take a wage save all the aggro
dalydi

Post by dalydi »

If u want it so bad u will be successful
generfend

Post by generfend »

Remember transit in Yorkshire Lee never see another like it or what was left of it
lee+rmyami

Post by lee+rmyami »

generfend wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:55 pm Remember transit in Yorkshire Lee never see another like it or what was left of it
hopefully I never will
generfend

Post by generfend »

lee+rmyami wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm
generfend wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:55 pm Remember transit in Yorkshire Lee never see another like it or what was left of it
hopefully I never will
tea bah in the cup ...
Mikender

Post by Mikender »

G.I.T. insurance premiums will soon change his mind
shawayy

Post by shawayy »

It's a clicky game , I used to trade cars and to get the delivery work, yiu need to be in with a lot of traders , also , if you deal with auction houses, it can be very cutthroat I wouldn't do it myself.
Bukowes

Post by Bukowes »

ai gpt4 will answer all your questions plus business plan
David55

Post by David55 »

Unless he gets 7.5t vehicle then don’t bother vosa targeting
3.5t recovery vehicles as they usually over loaded
CChrisio

Post by CChrisio »

Better got for c1 licence as some cars will put you over 3.5t
robium

Post by robium »

Hire and reward 2.5 tonne o licence req from now
CChrisio

Post by CChrisio »

robium wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:01 pm Hire and reward 2.5 tonne o licence req from now
depends on weight of recovery truck

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”