Fridge trailers/containers. Surely these are insulated enough to hold a set temperature for a sustained period of

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
pampad

Fridge trailers/containers. Surely these are insulated enough to hold a set temperature for a sustained period of

Post by pampad »

Fridge trailers/containers.
Surely these are insulated enough to hold a set temperature for a sustained period of time so why can’t they be turned off if asked at a truck stop???
best_astero

Re: Fridge trailers/containers. Surely these are insulated enough to hold a set temperature for a sustained period of

Post by best_astero »

A fridge trl with a frozen load all door seals good will hold it temp for 12 hrs problem is most customers ask for a print out on delivery so it shows up on there n load will be rejected
pampad

Re: Fridge trailers/containers. Surely these are insulated enough to hold a set temperature for a sustained period of

Post by pampad »

best_astero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 pm A fridge trl with a frozen load all door seals good will hold it temp for 12 hrs problem is most customers ask for a print out on delivery so it shows up on there n load will be rejected
finally a proper answer thank you 👍
best_astero

Post by best_astero »

pampad wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:00 pm
best_astero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 pm A fridge trl with a frozen load all door seals good will hold it temp for 12 hrs problem is most customers ask for a print out on delivery so it shows up on there n load will be rejected
done fridges for about 15 yr so I know the score mate
pampad

Post by pampad »

best_astero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:02 pm
always wondered why and the customer printout thing is a very viable reason.
Just a shame truckstops listen to the snowflakes who can’t hack it
alderter

Post by alderter »

pampad wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:03 pm

it’s not just print outs. Ours can be checked through live monitoring. It also depends on the goods. Most you can run stop start. Some have to be constant. Finally no they don’t hold the temp. If you have heard a fridge start/stop then that’s is because the temp has raised which is why the fridge has kicked back in.
best_astero

Post by best_astero »

older trl didn't have them so we used to switch them of the only thing is with fresh produce say temp set at+4 if you switched them of then when you turn them on in morning the fridge would bray it's tits out to get temp down so it would leave a frost over fresh produce because it would go down to say +1 before it could maintain temp that why fresh produce ya keep fridge running frozen ya can run it on stop start if that makes sense
pampad

Post by pampad »

best_astero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 pm

older trl didn't have them so we used to switch them of the only thing is with fresh produce say temp set at+4 if you switched them of then when you turn them on in morning the fridge would bray it's tits out to get temp down so it would leave a frost over fresh produce because it would go down to say +1 before it could maintain temp that why fresh produce ya keep fridge running frozen ya can run it on stop start if that makes sense
yup fully understood
andyki

Post by andyki »

never had a customer ask for a printout ever on fridges
alderter

Post by alderter »

andyki wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:05 pm
you may not have done but they do. Same as we have some that ask for a printout before they will load it.
andyki

Post by andyki »

alderter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:05 pm
you may not have done but they do. Same as we have some that ask for a printout before they will load it.
printout BEFORE loading that's a new one on me!
alderter

Post by alderter »

alderter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:05 pm

printout BEFORE loading that's a new one on me!
everyday is a school day.
FoulBot

Post by FoulBot »

to make sure it's at temp to load, some frozen places won't load you till it's -16 internal mate.
andyki

Post by andyki »

FoulBot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:06 pm
to make sure it's at temp to load, some frozen places won't load you till it's -16 internal mate.
maybe some but I've loaded many different items of frozen and they haven't given a Scoobies as long as its set before you leave once loaded 👍
dangry

Post by dangry »

andyki wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:07 pm
FoulBot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:06 pm

maybe some but I've loaded many different items of frozen and they haven't given a Scoobies as long as its set before you leave once loaded 👍
And you’re still arguing. Your ‘lived experience’ isn’t the whole worlds experience.
Your RDC hero cape is by the door.
yeddings

Post by yeddings »

If you load ice cream from Gloucester they always check temperature before loading. When loading container's from there I always turn the gen set on at Felixstowe. I've only done unaccompanied and container fridges and most places check the temperature. Some of the unaccompanied trailers have satellite tracking so it isn't unknown to get a phone call asking why the fridge is off.
matFerdy

Post by matFerdy »

I like the drivers that drop the fridge off then park up away from it
Gaaryon

Post by Gaaryon »

matFerdy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:09 pm I like the drivers that drop the fridge off then park up away from it
why ??
matFerdy

Post by matFerdy »

Gaaryon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:10 pm
matFerdy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:09 pm I like the drivers that drop the fridge off then park up away from it
why ??
like a lot of drivers thinking of them self that's the way it is to day
Gaaryon

Post by Gaaryon »

matFerdy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:10 pm
why ??
so why do you like them if they are selfish ??
matFerdy

Post by matFerdy »

matFerdy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:10 pm

why ??
so why do you like them if they are selfish ??
makes me feel better to like drivers I sleep better if you done like them it makes me feel ill more people should try smiling 😃
sauShiya

Post by sauShiya »

invalidates insurance.
anwes1761

Post by anwes1761 »

sauShiya wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:11 pm
invalidates insurance.
not all companies. Some have insurance for the trailer even if on it’s own
Gaaryon

Post by Gaaryon »

anwes1761 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 pm
invalidates insurance.
it’s still got to be left on if it’s on its own in some cases 🙈🙈
anwes1761

Post by anwes1761 »

Gaaryon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:13 pm

invalidates insurance.
they have their own fuel so can stay running even if disconnected
Gaaryon

Post by Gaaryon »

anwes1761 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:13 pm

yes i know that been on fridges for 30 year .. the point is if they are turned off when alone or hooked up it can validate insurance .. pay attention
taiNews

Post by taiNews »

yes i know that been on fridges for 30 year .. the point is if they are turned off when alone or hooked up it can validate insurance .. pay attention
surely you mean INVALIDATE , you lost concentration there
Gaaryon

Post by Gaaryon »

taiNews wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:14 pm

well spotted lol
taiNews

Post by taiNews »

Gaaryon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:14 pm
taiNews wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:14 pm

well spotted lol
only coz I do regularly do very similar 😆
allents

Post by allents »

I find it quite therapeutic sleeping next to them 😂
Philized

Post by Philized »

Nothing sends me to sleep quicker than the hum of a fridge
LakQuick

Post by LakQuick »

Wants frozen foods but doesn’t want to see or hear the thing that keeps them frozen
MarCarr

Post by MarCarr »

LakQuick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:17 pm Wants frozen foods but doesn’t want to see or hear the thing that keeps them frozen
hates lorries too 😂
alexot

Post by alexot »

I had to park among the fridges the other night and had to get on with it, wasn't ideal but i was in the section so tough luck on me
kylend

Post by kylend »

Earplugs ... makes you imagine the fridges ain't running 🤔
Richard.Puff

Post by Richard.Puff »

I used to take diabetic insulin from Dartford to Athens at +4 the inside temperature was recorded on their own equipment if it didn’t keep between +3 & +6 the load with be scrapped admittedly that was 25 years ago but I think any diabetic on heat will tell the correct temperature for their insulin is very important
jamesst1276

Post by jamesst1276 »

Sadly most of them aren't correctly insulated
KYLLEDraven

Post by KYLLEDraven »

customers ask for a print out at the other end and if the fridge/freezer has been turned off they reject the load
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

Wouldn't you be better off to ask Truckstops why they can't have dedicated bays for fridges. If you buy chilled or frozen goods why complain about a fridge trailer running because like most of us you need them. Or do you think that you can deliver 25 ton of frozen meat in a tautliner
pampad

Post by pampad »

HarZest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:22 pm Wouldn't you be better off to ask Truckstops why they can't have dedicated bays for fridges. If you buy chilled or frozen goods why complain about a fridge trailer running because like most of us you need them. Or do you think that you can deliver 25 ton of frozen meat in a tautliner
or better still stop the Karen’s and snowflakes from moaning about the noise.
I aim for the fridges as I get a better nights sleep.
Gonyon

Post by Gonyon »

HarZest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:22 pm Wouldn't you be better off to ask Truckstops why they can't have dedicated bays for fridges. If you buy chilled or frozen goods why complain about a fridge trailer running because like most of us you need them. Or do you think that you can deliver 25 ton of frozen meat in a tautliner
they used too with electric hook ups but non fridge trailers parked in them and f,ed it all up.
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

Gonyon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:23 pm
they used too with electric hook ups but non fridge trailers parked in them and f,ed it all up.
Typical lorry drivers f'king for themselves and everyone else.
ggarsBob

Post by ggarsBob »

extra £5 for fridge trailers and supply a hook up
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

ggarsBob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:24 pm
£5 ain't alot nowadays is it, not when you take into account how much we get ripped off for overnight parking
ggarsBob

Post by ggarsBob »

HarZest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:24 pm
£5 ain't alot nowadays is it, not when you take into account how much we get ripped off for overnight parking
there is a huge difference in prices for parking and the quality of facilities available.
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

ggarsBob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:25 pm
HarZest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:24 pm

there is a huge difference in prices for parking and the quality of facilities available.
yep sure is
thomoCars

Post by thomoCars »

Temperature trackers in most containers these days. They record any variants of about +-5° and can lead to a rejection. Plus it’s part of the job. You’re told to refrigerate from point A to point B, it’s not the drivers decision when and where to turn it off
wesXp

Post by wesXp »

Some fridge companies won't load the trailer if the temp not low enough also so have to Prep trailer before collection
4pizzey

Post by 4pizzey »

To answer your question… why can’t they be turned off if asked to in a Truckstop is quite simple…. What gives another driver or the owner of the Truckstop the right to ask a driver to turn the fridge off, if the Truckstop doesn’t already have a ban on them? It’s not their load and it’s not them in control of the load
TreMoto

Post by TreMoto »

Always admired drivers who can sleep with the fridge running. Set to 4 degrees the sneaky bastards crank up to heat the box in cold weather? After five nights I was lucky if I could decide which way to turn the steering wheel going forwards never mind reversing!
Grahoyer

Post by Grahoyer »

A standard Fridge trailer will hold temperature on a load of frozen product for anything upto 15 hours before any harm comes to the goods... Products like ice cream temp has to be maintained at between -18 & -25, Chilled products are different, Between 0*c & +5, in winter, not much of a problem... Fruit like bananas has to run at +17*c. Then there's goods like Pharmaceuticals that must remain a constant temp & fridge must be run on constant for the duration, Expensive claim if not & they go off, some chemicals too...

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”