Can I legally drive back with this trailer like this? when empty I drover with out loaded as it is but Ive been told

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
RobieVons

Can I legally drive back with this trailer like this? when empty I drover with out loaded as it is but Ive been told

Post by RobieVons »

Can I legally drive back with this trailer like this? when empty I drover with out loaded as it is but I've been told its illegal is this true? because to me its the same as a flat bed or if I was to strap my curtains back on a really windy day.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (315.58 KiB) Viewed 157 times
chVeteran

Re: Can I legally drive back with this trailer like this? when empty I drover with out loaded as it is but Ive been told

Post by chVeteran »

Crack on make sure its strapped safe
ownenzane

Re: Can I legally drive back with this trailer like this? when empty I drover with out loaded as it is but Ive been told

Post by ownenzane »

Do you think it is legally or not ? What do you think ?
Albee1357

Post by Albee1357 »

ownenzane wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 pm Do you think it is legally or not ? What do you think ?
could be why he's asking 🙄
ownenzane

Post by ownenzane »

Albee1357 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:26 pm
ownenzane wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 pm Do you think it is legally or not ? What do you think ?
I think common sense should be used!
Iansly

Post by Iansly »

ownenzane wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:33 pm
what a bellend 😂
Clarkom

Post by Clarkom »

that doesn’t exist these days! If they don’t know ask here and get 12 different answers to one question!
HOPERSSON

Post by HOPERSSON »

both you and I might think it’s ok but the law may say something different because those who make the law have no common sense.
miresec

Post by miresec »

knob
SpraVash

Post by SpraVash »

do it all the time … crack on …
Shauniv

Post by Shauniv »

so you don't know the answer, but just want to ridicule someone else. Awesome!
cowMadd

Post by cowMadd »

As long as it's secure, shouldn't be a problem.
Ros4lysaro

Post by Ros4lysaro »

It’s fine aslong as it’s secured tightly across the back you shouldn’t have any bother seen plenty of them kicking about & never heard of or seen one being stopped yet.
priestHodey

Post by priestHodey »

It should be fine as long as as your weight is okay.
Jrba

Post by Jrba »

That's the purpose of the design.
RALPERIC

Post by RALPERIC »

I got the same trl been all over europe with it empty and open and never had a problem its designed to be run like that with the straps and 2 bars
RobieVons

Post by RobieVons »

Thanks for the advice i know we have the odd c**khead in the forum that says oh common sense are u an idiot n the answer is no im not im a new driver and never seen one of these let alone used one so was just asking for advice from some more experienced lads so thanks for the good advice and god bless all u lads that just wanna make lads feel stupid for asking a perfectly normal question have a blessed day
Viney_Riney

Post by Viney_Riney »

RobieVons wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 pm Thanks for the advice i know we have the odd c**khead in the forum that says oh common sense are u an idiot n the answer is no im not im a new driver and never seen one of these let alone used one so was just asking for advice from some more experienced lads so thanks for the good advice and god bless all u lads that just wanna make lads feel stupid for asking a perfectly normal question have a blessed day
well I've been driving trucks for 25 or so years and I've driven all sorts but never with one of those trailers , I would say myself that as long as it's secure I can't see an issue but if your in doubt put it back as if loaded until you've got a correct answer
JamEcho

Post by JamEcho »

RobieVons wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 pm Thanks for the advice i know we have the odd c**khead in the forum that says oh common sense are u an idiot n the answer is no im not im a new driver and never seen one of these let alone used one so was just asking for advice from some more experienced lads so thanks for the good advice and god bless all u lads that just wanna make lads feel stupid for asking a perfectly normal question have a blessed day
Ignore all the pricks mate.
StAuthentic

Post by StAuthentic »

JamEcho wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:49 pm
Ur right there mate 👍
lunor_1598

Post by lunor_1598 »

if only they could kick them out and leave the helpful professional drivers 🤫
mitPhoenix

Post by mitPhoenix »

lunor_1598 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:51 pm
if only they could kick them out and leave the helpful professional drivers 🤫
report the trolls by holding the comment and flagging it to admin.
JohnPro

Post by JohnPro »

better to ask first the person that knows everything has not been born yet .lots of people think they know it all don't ask then finish up
bobwiz

Post by bobwiz »

JohnPro wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:53 pm
better to ask first the person that knows everything has not been born yet .lots of people think they know it all don't ask then finish up
oiii I’m here and I know everything 😜
Anully

Post by Anully »

you can drive any thing as long as its save and not maken any obstruction to other road users
Erron1402

Post by Erron1402 »

new driver or not so long as what ever is on your trailer is secure it's fine. Which is common sense.
Nally

Post by Nally »

Saw a foreign truck earlier today actually pulling one of these… was empty and the canopy strapped to the headboard like how it is in your pic, must be ok 🤔
sakells-saint

Post by sakells-saint »

Park up and have a night out it isn't illegal on a Saturday morning
Clarkom

Post by Clarkom »

sakells-saint wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:56 pm Park up and have a night out it isn't illegal on a Saturday morning
only after 09.37 though!!!
abel1533

Post by abel1533 »

What’s illegal about it like? It’s secure pal so crack on 🤣
THOMIZEDNA

Post by THOMIZEDNA »

Did your Mrs write this whilst you were unloading?
RobieVons

Post by RobieVons »

haynesNew wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:02 pm I’m trying to work out this
argh ok i see dyslexia is funny to u is it mate ? Couldn't just answer the question no ?
Bave8lcom

Post by Bave8lcom »

RobieVons wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:02 pm
argh ok i see dyslexia is funny to u is it mate ? Couldn't just answer the question no ?
dont blame dyslexia cos it won’t work. Just admit your autocorrect wasn’t working.
Malden7od

Post by Malden7od »

thats not dyslexia,
Nichwo

Post by Nichwo »

lol :lol:
2355_dellex

Post by 2355_dellex »

why take the piss out of the poor man's? Just answer
marMorne88

Post by marMorne88 »

2355_dellex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:09 pm
why take the piss out of the poor man's? Just answer
he takes the piss out of someone's because it's the only way he can feel better about lol 😆.
Fl0ydonds

Post by Fl0ydonds »

if you’re having trouble working out what he’s said because of a couple i’s being o’s etc that says more about your intelligence old chum.
bevanHero

Post by bevanHero »

Fl0ydonds wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:12 pm
if you’re having trouble working out what he’s said because of a couple i’s being o’s etc that says more about your intelligence old chum.
Such a great comment, Hope you feel good. 🛎 🔚
ed+rdsons

Post by ed+rdsons »

Fl0ydonds wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:12 pm
Truck driver
Not an English lecturer
And doing the right thing asking for advice NH
MellonDark

Post by MellonDark »

you're one of those woke cyclist morons Bitching and crying about everything. Grow up ffs
holterusTy

Post by holterusTy »

.A.K.A. MR Perfect . Who knows what problems people have ? Just crack on and take the piss eh ? Rather have Dyslexia than be an ARSEHOLE 👍
MartJumpstart

Post by MartJumpstart »

Me personally would strap it and make sure it’s secure and the bed of the trailer is swept clean can’t see how it’s not legal
jaspurGade

Post by jaspurGade »

MartJumpstart wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 pm Me personally would strap it and make sure it’s secure and the bed of the trailer is swept clean can’t see how it’s not legal
think the poor bloke just want attention about an trailer that's already 25 years old ....
EmbEmery

Post by EmbEmery »

I’d put 2 straps on it both over the top diagonally to each side just like you would at the rear of a load
Clarkom

Post by Clarkom »

EmbEmery wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 pm I’d put 2 straps on it both over the top diagonally to each side just like you would at the rear of a load
first decent reply I’ve seen! 👍
JamA1

Post by JamA1 »

EmbEmery wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 pm I’d put 2 straps on it both over the top diagonally to each side just like you would at the rear of a load
man who speaks sense. 👍
blaz8onei

Post by blaz8onei »

Hmm I'm sure this trailer was designed illegally.... Jesus christ 🤯
RobieVons

Post by RobieVons »

blaz8onei wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:21 pm Hmm I'm sure this trailer was designed illegally.... Jesus christ 🤯
right and what if it was only designed to be used open when loaded wyh a load too large for the curtains then closed when empty im not a f**kin know it all like nost on this group never seen or pulled one so why do lads have to straight jump all over someone for trying to get informed before doing something
blaz8onei

Post by blaz8onei »

RobieVons wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 pm
blaz8onei wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:21 pm Hmm I'm sure this trailer was designed illegally.... Jesus christ 🤯
right and what if it was only designed to be used open when loaded wyh a load too large for the curtains then closed when empty im not a f**kin know it all like nost on this group never seen or pulled one so why do lads have to straight jump all over someone for trying to get informed before doing something
it's designed to work as both, curtainsider and flat bed. It runs on rails to be folded. Why would it be illegal? If it was illegal would companies like dfds run them? It's common sense
RobieVons

Post by RobieVons »

blaz8onei wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 pm
it's designed to work as both, curtainsider and flat bed. It runs on rails to be folded. Why would it be illegal? If it was illegal would companies like dfds run them? It's common sense
how long u been doing the job ?
blaz8onei

Post by blaz8onei »

RobieVons wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 pm

not sure what that has to do with it but 8 years and now an owner operator
RobieVons

Post by RobieVons »

blaz8onei wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:24 pm
RobieVons wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 pm

not sure what that has to do with it but 8 years and now an owner operator
may 23 i passed driving from june 23 so id say a years experience transport manager qualification operators licence has a lot to do with u knowing for sire n me being unsure thats the point i was getting at
maucheTOP

Post by maucheTOP »

Yes you can its like driving a curtain sider with the curtain open
Davelefa

Post by Davelefa »

maucheTOP wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 pm Yes you can its like driving a curtain sider with the curtain open
shedding roof panels along the road at 56 mph?
maucheTOP

Post by maucheTOP »

Davelefa wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:26 pm
maucheTOP wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 pm Yes you can its like driving a curtain sider with the curtain open
I've done it loads of times never once had that
Davelefa

Post by Davelefa »

maucheTOP wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:26 pm
Davelefa wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:26 pm
I've done it loads of times never once had that
it happened to one of our drivers with the curtains closed. The truck was old with a fibreglass roof so it was on its last legs.
Ilimanter

Post by Ilimanter »

If the curtains are secure then yes , you can drive it
JIMRGENS

Post by JIMRGENS »

I would say strap it up tight and crack on , I have seen other people do it and the continentals do it regularly..
LanniUncanny

Post by LanniUncanny »

I can't see it being illegal, BUT I'm not an expert ,
If it's easy enough to close it back up just do it ,
If not leave it as it is I would go with me gut feeling and say it's ok to run empty like that
Katrac

Post by Katrac »

The only issue is were your coming from is the a 4metre height limit does the sheet no go higher than that maybe 4.2 now problem in belg germany austria etc
gaspe-2356

Post by gaspe-2356 »

Katrac wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:31 pm The only issue is were your coming from is the a 4metre height limit does the sheet no go higher than that maybe 4.2 now problem in belg germany austria etc
just I heard from colleague who saw 2 days ago german BAG doing control and are measuring the height of curtainsiders 🫣
Katrac

Post by Katrac »

gaspe-2356 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 pm
Katrac wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:31 pm The only issue is were your coming from is the a 4metre height limit does the sheet no go higher than that maybe 4.2 now problem in belg germany austria etc
just I heard from colleague who saw 2 days ago german BAG doing control and are measuring the height of curtainsiders 🫣
all ways and length
gaspe-2356

Post by gaspe-2356 »

Katrac wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 pm
gaspe-2356 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 pm
all ways and length
if only I knew what forces is he measuring
sprinGorks

Post by sprinGorks »

Why not ask the firm you're pulling it for? It has to be better to get their official line rather than a couple of dozen opinions. My twopenneth worth would be if it's secure then its fine.
Wrathy-ron

Post by Wrathy-ron »

Just put a cross around the back for your price of mind increase it slides back . Job done
ashle_mo

Post by ashle_mo »

Cross straps on so carnt move and crack on
penlZerfo

Post by penlZerfo »

Yes you can . Cross strap the back it can flap a bit .
Attachments
Volvo.jpg
Volvo.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 36 times
TeeMoLaurs

Post by TeeMoLaurs »

penlZerfo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 pm Yes you can . Cross strap the back it can flap a bit .
Tidy..and safe
RidberqRick

Post by RidberqRick »

Perfectly legal cross the channel all the time with mine (ship not train)

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”