Hello I hope this is allowed. I am going to be a trainee Coach driver very soon are they any tips/advice before my

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
MARDINOS

Hello I hope this is allowed. I am going to be a trainee Coach driver very soon are they any tips/advice before my

Post by MARDINOS »

Hello I hope this is allowed.
I am going to be a trainee Coach driver very soon are they any tips/advice before my first day anyone could give me please.
Thank you!
655.gailloth

Re: Hello I hope this is allowed. I am going to be a trainee Coach driver very soon are they any tips/advice before my

Post by 655.gailloth »

Clear your mind of anything personal, Listen to your instructor very carefully, their words will be in your head on every manoeuvre for years to come, especially when their voice is raised, I’ve only been driving coaches/ buses 5 years, a good instructor will be harsh at times but that’s what will contribute to you being a great professional driver Mardinos 👍, all the best mate and good luck 🍀
MARDINOS

Re: Hello I hope this is allowed. I am going to be a trainee Coach driver very soon are they any tips/advice before my

Post by MARDINOS »

655.gailloth wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:13 pm Clear your mind of anything personal, Listen to your instructor very carefully, their words will be in your head on every manoeuvre for years to come, especially when their voice is raised, I’ve only been driving coaches/ buses 5 years, a good instructor will be harsh at times but that’s what will contribute to you being a great professional driver Mardinos 👍, all the best mate and good luck 🍀
thank you!
daleyniza_188

Post by daleyniza_188 »

If your not sure about something...ask
Tomnivo

Post by Tomnivo »

Be respectful to your passengers at all times. And if you don't know something ask, we'll all had to sometimes.
MARDINOS

Post by MARDINOS »

Tomnivo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 pm Be respectful to your passengers at all times. And if you don't know something ask, we'll all had to sometimes.
thank you!
MARDINOS

Post by MARDINOS »

Peter.Matter wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 pm Take ur time
thank you!
fendou

Post by fendou »

Remember that you have walking, talking, complaining cargo. Drive with their comfort and safety in mind at all times
MARDINOS

Post by MARDINOS »

fendou wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:19 pm Remember that you have walking, talking, complaining cargo. Drive with their comfort and safety in mind at all times
thank you!
Tess-Borg

Post by Tess-Borg »

If in doubt, get out and look! No matter how stupid you may feel. Best of luck x
Grifferco

Post by Grifferco »

Expect the unexpected!
What I found useful on my test day was to create a “bubble” around my coach and not let anyone break that bubble - if you do this and allow plenty of time between you and the vehicle in front and literally drive like you’re protecting that bubble then you won’t go far wrong! Only 6 weeks ago I passed my test and now I’m really confident and driving massive triaxles through central London!
Good luck!
MARDINOS

Post by MARDINOS »

Grifferco wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:21 pm Expect the unexpected!
What I found useful on my test day was to create a “bubble” around my coach and not let anyone break that bubble - if you do this and allow plenty of time between you and the vehicle in front and literally drive like you’re protecting that bubble then you won’t go far wrong! Only 6 weeks ago I passed my test and now I’m really confident and driving massive triaxles through central London!
Good luck!
thank you!
CHRISTAND

Post by CHRISTAND »

Slow bus and fast hands when manoeuvring.
harrie

Post by harrie »

CHRISTAND wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:21 pm Slow bus and fast hands when manoeuvring.
or buy a sat nav that shows scaffolding
227.geollex

Post by 227.geollex »

Listen to the instructor, don't forget to allow plenty time and enough distance to slow down and stop because you will be carrying School children, (some not wearing seat belts) or Drunks (some not wearing seat belts) or Seniors and Disabled
SampRamp

Post by SampRamp »

If you think you can’t go down a road with the obvious, Don’t! Find an alternative route or investigate. Take your time and never rush. Driver negligence is one main factor in incidents. So relax clear your mind and enjoy the work.
Dawnerdocs

Post by Dawnerdocs »

Its always ok to stop and use the space you need.
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

If the front fits the back will follow 🤣
cogan.rich

Post by cogan.rich »

Make sure you give yourself plenary of time so you don’t have to rush
stefano

Post by stefano »

Take your time, don't rush! If you you aren't sure slow/stop. You're bigger than you think 🙂
Depending on who you're training with they will teach you different methods. Just find what works for you for maneuvering about.
MARDINOS

Post by MARDINOS »

stefano wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 pm Take your time, don't rush! If you you aren't sure slow/stop. You're bigger than you think 🙂
Depending on who you're training with they will teach you different methods. Just find what works for you for maneuvering about.
thank you!
phil_bumper

Post by phil_bumper »

Don’t forget to look at your blind spots aswell as mirrors, relax and take in what you’re being taught and the rest will come naturally.
You will be nervous at first naturally but relax and enjoy it.
abrage_hemp

Post by abrage_hemp »

* "Don't become blinkered"
-\ don't get transfixed on what's in front of you - horses wear blinkers over their eyes to stop them being spooked by the traffic around them. Don't be a horse - turn your head and check your mirrors.
* "Green is mean" - Red is your friend
-\ Don't race up to green lights - be prepared to have to stop when they change to Red (danger). Red lights will only turn green again so all the time they're red you know where you stand.
* "The tighter the gap, the slower you go"
\- Don't race into tight gaps as it could be tighter than you realise (or simply too tight)
* "Creep and Peep"
\- If you aren't sure about a side road you want to turn into, just creep forwards and have a look.
* Roundabouts are not round....
\- they are pentagonal. Your coach's pivot point is on the rear axle which will be a lot further behind you so you have to treat roundabouts like a 50p coin. Steering off, steering on, steering off, steering on.
* Long way around
\- When turning, keep to the outside line, using the hatched areas which are meant for long vehicles such as coaches.
MARDINOS

Post by MARDINOS »

abrage_hemp wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:37 pm * "Don't become blinkered"
-\ don't get transfixed on what's in front of you - horses wear blinkers over their eyes to stop them being spooked by the traffic around them. Don't be a horse - turn your head and check your mirrors.
* "Green is mean" - Red is your friend
-\ Don't race up to green lights - be prepared to have to stop when they change to Red (danger). Red lights will only turn green again so all the time they're red you know where you stand.
* "The tighter the gap, the slower you go"
\- Don't race into tight gaps as it could be tighter than you realise (or simply too tight)
* "Creep and Peep"
\- If you aren't sure about a side road you want to turn into, just creep forwards and have a look.
* Roundabouts are not round....
\- they are pentagonal. Your coach's pivot point is on the rear axle which will be a lot further behind you so you have to treat roundabouts like a 50p coin. Steering off, steering on, steering off, steering on.
* Long way around
\- When turning, keep to the outside line, using the hatched areas which are meant for long vehicles such as coaches.
thank you!
jodieBrody

Post by jodieBrody »

Drive as though every other person on the road is an idiot. You won't be far wrong! Good luck and enjoy.
Karenpo

Post by Karenpo »

Read the road ahead of you and constantly look in your mirrors. Move your head when you do when your on test do the tester can see your looking in your mirrors all the time. They’re very hot on this.
Don’t ever assume another road user will make the manoeuvre you think they will. Your instructor will guide you right.
Best of luck.
MARDINOS

Post by MARDINOS »

Karenpo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:42 pm Read the road ahead of you and constantly look in your mirrors. Move your head when you do when your on test do the tester can see your looking in your mirrors all the time. They’re very hot on this.
Don’t ever assume another road user will make the manoeuvre you think they will. Your instructor will guide you right.
Best of luck.
thank you!

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”