Hi all. Apologies for asking what could be a simple question, but Google isn't helping. A friend of mine is looking

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
PaulKnot

Hi all. Apologies for asking what could be a simple question, but Google isn't helping. A friend of mine is looking

Post by PaulKnot »

Hi all. Apologies for asking what could be a simple question, but Google isn't helping.
A friend of mine is looking to transport a race car to race meetings behind a 3.5 ton Iveco daily van on a trailer. (Uk only)
The car is not his, its his customers (he is a mechanic)
Would we be correct in assuming he needs std o licence with TM (either etm or in house) or does 3.5 ton not require the TM side of things. (Tacho is being sorted)
Thanks in advance.
richielte

Re: Hi all. Apologies for asking what could be a simple question, but Google isn't helping. A friend of mine is looking

Post by richielte »

A tachograph is required, but as for an O licence, there is not enough detail in the post, I'm afraid.
You have mentioned the mechanic and his customer, so there is commercial gain, but that may only happen while the car is being repaired at the mechanics premises.
What exactly is the arrangement when attending a meeting?
It does look as though the mechanic will need a standard licence, but without all the details, it's not set in stone that an actual O licence is required.
PaulKnot

Re: Hi all. Apologies for asking what could be a simple question, but Google isn't helping. A friend of mine is looking

Post by PaulKnot »

richielte wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 pm A tachograph is required, but as for an O licence, there is not enough detail in the post, I'm afraid.
You have mentioned the mechanic and his customer, so there is commercial gain, but that may only happen while the car is being repaired at the mechanics premises.
It does look as though the mechanic will need a standard licence, but without all the details, it's not set in stone that an actual O licence is required.
he is being paid for the race weekend, ie transport car to track, prep / repair car and return car to the workshop.
richielte

Post by richielte »

PaulKnot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm
richielte wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 pm A tachograph is required, but as for an O licence, there is not enough detail in the post, I'm afraid.
he is being paid for the race weekend, ie transport car to track, prep / repair car and return car to the workshop.
Well, he's going to need a standard licence and a TM👍
PaulKnot

Post by PaulKnot »

richielte wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm
as I thought. Thank you.
richielte

Post by richielte »

richielte wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm

as I thought. Thank you.
No problem 👍
huw.husker

Post by huw.husker »

transport car for free, charge extra for doing mechanics over weekend, no hire and reward, no o licence.
richielte

Post by richielte »

huw.husker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm
transport car for free, charge extra for doing mechanics over weekend, no hire and reward, no o licence.
It's not as easy as that 🤷🏼‍♂️
Everything about the operation involves commercial gain, the transportation of someone else's goods, and the exchanging of monies, so the only way is a standard O licence 🤷🏼‍♂️
huw.husker

Post by huw.husker »

richielte wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm
Everything about the operation involves commercial gain, the transportation of someone else's goods, and the exchanging of monies, so the only way is a standard O licence 🤷🏼‍♂️
OK, I guess they are not just mates then. In that case I can't see it being a viable option as the cost of etm or sitting exam and getting o licence plus all the rigmarole that goes with it would probably take years to recuperate just doing race weekends.
PaulKnot

Post by PaulKnot »

huw.husker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm
richielte wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm

OK, I guess they are not just mates then. In that case I can't see it being a viable option as the cost of etm or sitting exam and getting o licence plus all the rigmarole that goes with it would probably take years to recuperate just doing race weekends.
that's exactly his issue. Cost vs profit from the venture is very much the wrong way round here.
Ilonate

Post by Ilonate »

If the total combination is Under 7.5ton & not for hire and reward then no O licence is needed.
I also think that as long as the van’s individual weight is kept under 3.5ton, and that the trailer is not carrying more than the gross train weight of the van, then they are O licence exempt.
Jay.Vestem

Post by Jay.Vestem »

Ilonate wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:29 pm If the total combination is Under 7.5ton & not for hire and reward then no O licence is needed.
I also think that as long as the van’s individual weight is kept under 3.5ton, and that the trailer is not carrying more than the gross train weight of the van, then they are O licence exempt.
😉 You're Dead Right, And it's Do not exceed 7,000kgs (7T) MAM Van + Trailer, with No O.L. 👍👍
Ilonate

Post by Ilonate »

Jay.Vestem wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 pm
Ilonate wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:29 pm If the total combination is Under 7.5ton & not for hire and reward then no O licence is needed.
😉 You're Dead Right, And it's Do not exceed 7,000kgs (7T) MAM Van + Trailer, with No O.L. 👍👍
thank you for the clarification, I’m glad to hear that I got it right… 🤩 It’s a grey area for sure, but we have this a lot in the horse industry, with racehorse trainers trying to get multiple horses out to the races & they need to get around the rules, as their grooms only have a car licence.
MarLegend

Post by MarLegend »

O licence and tacho required, exempt CpC providing he meets criteria for exemption.
paunium

Post by paunium »

MarLegend wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:31 pm O licence and tacho required, exempt CpC providing he meets criteria for exemption.
what might that criteria be?
MarLegend

Post by MarLegend »

paunium wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:31 pm
MarLegend wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:31 pm O licence and tacho required, exempt CpC providing he meets criteria for exemption.
well… one of them that fits your bill is: carrying material or equipment you use for your job, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work.
MarLegend

Post by MarLegend »

You said, he’s a mechanic, if stopped he need to mention that and under what exemption he doesn’t have to have cpc
PaulKnot

Post by PaulKnot »

MarLegend wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 pm
You said, he’s a mechanic, if stopped he need to mention that and under what exemption he doesn’t have to have cpc
which CPC, driver, or TM?
MarLegend

Post by MarLegend »

PaulKnot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 pm

Driver
MarLegend

Post by MarLegend »

You still need ops licence, restricted - your own goods. Standard for others goods.
MarLegend

Post by MarLegend »

You can try to apply for restricted operator license based on the fact that the goods you Transporting they are your own goods, and not for hire and reward. Usually joined this application process Leeds office case worker will ask for further explanation, and they were gonna tell you if restricted license is sufficient
putnamal

Post by putnamal »

If the van is less than 3.5ton gvw then no o licence is required.
lemunde

Post by lemunde »

He can transport the car without an o licence. But must have a tachograph fitted to the van. I do recovery
PaulKnot

Post by PaulKnot »

lemunde wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm He can transport the car without an o licence. But must have a tachograph fitted to the van. I do recovery
its not recovery, its race car transport.
lemunde

Post by lemunde »

PaulKnot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:35 pm
lemunde wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm He can transport the car without an o licence. But must have a tachograph fitted to the van. I do recovery
its not recovery, its race car transport.
its under the fresh hold of requirements. Aslong as he's under 7.5 ton
LizV2

Post by LizV2 »

As soon as he's over 3.5t its like a lorry. Yes in theory he needs a national, or international for EU races. A restricted is obvs easier but a sharp dvsa guy can have him for it.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”