Hello, As a TM for 2 days and a driver for 3 days for the same company, does it matter what 2 days I do TM duties?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Lauralz

Hello, As a TM for 2 days and a driver for 3 days for the same company, does it matter what 2 days I do TM duties?

Post by Lauralz »

I ask this because on the application you have to specify how many hours on what days you will be performing TM duties. My employer wants me to be more flexible on what 2 days I am doing TM duties and what 3 days he wants me out driving. I am aware of how many hours I must do as TM.
Peter.Matter

Re: Hello, As a TM for 2 days and a driver for 3 days for the same company, does it matter what 2 days I do TM duties?

Post by Peter.Matter »

Have you told the TC which days you are being TM
Lauralz

Re: Hello, As a TM for 2 days and a driver for 3 days for the same company, does it matter what 2 days I do TM duties?

Post by Lauralz »

Peter.Matter wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:36 pm Have you told the TC which days you are being TM
yes, on the original application.
Peter.Matter

Post by Peter.Matter »

Lauralz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:36 pm
Peter.Matter wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:36 pm Have you told the TC which days you are being TM
yes, on the original application.
that's what they will expect to see
Ianeryy

Post by Ianeryy »

The days won’t matter as long as you are doing at least the guideline hours and have effective control. Days need to vary depending on the business needs. When drivers/vehicles are available etc
mannyah

Post by mannyah »

I would email your case worker and request flexibility on the days. That way there can be no come back on you or the company.
Lauralz

Post by Lauralz »

mannyah wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:42 pm I would email your case worker and request flexibility on the days. That way there can be no come back on you or the company.
what case worker?
Ianeryy

Post by Ianeryy »

mannyah wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:42 pm I would email your case worker and request flexibility on the days. That way there can be no come back on you or the company.
absolutely no need to email the caseworker or speak to anyone about the days worked. As long as you dedicate the hours needed then it matters not when they’re done
jacktion

Post by jacktion »

In reality it would be better to do a bit of TM every day if you can, even if it is just an hour a day on the days you are driving so you can keep an eye on stuff such as tacho hours.
Ianeryy

Post by Ianeryy »

jacktion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:44 pm In reality it would be better to do a bit of TM every day if you can, even if it is just an hour a day on the days you are driving so you can keep an eye on stuff such as tacho hours.
casting an eye over things daily is an easier solution and shows good effective control. As an employee of the company I would think this breaks his day up too.
RichBest

Post by RichBest »

Days don’t matter. In your letter to the TC for the application you can explain the situation.
I just put days vary due to operational needs and shift work. But arranged a week prior
seanjevan

Post by seanjevan »

You need to make sure that the days your in the office you put as manual entries on your driver card as all records wether in or out of scope have to be shown on the driver card for the period of 28 days. It’s a ball ache but has to be done.
Lauralz

Post by Lauralz »

seanjevan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:51 pm You need to make sure that the days your in the office you put as manual entries on your driver card as all records wether in or out of scope have to be shown on the driver card for the period of 28 days. It’s a ball ache but has to be done.
thank for your reply, but I don’t need to do manual entries “on” my card.
On our tachograph analysis calendar, I can submit it directly on there, so it is recorded.
But, I’m sure that’s not what I asked.
seanjevan

Post by seanjevan »

Lauralz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:52 pm
seanjevan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:51 pm You need to make sure that the days your in the office you put as manual entries on your driver card as all records wether in or out of scope have to be shown on the driver card for the period of 28 days. It’s a ball ache but has to be done.
On our tachograph analysis calendar, I can submit it directly on there, so it is recorded.
unfortunately I thought the same thing as I do the same as you however I had an audit with DVSA on the 1st of this month and he advised me that this is now a requirement as of August last year. He didn’t take action against me as I could show on my analysis software what I was doing but it is now a legal requirement for it to be shown directly on your card.
Lauralz

Post by Lauralz »

seanjevan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:52 pm
unfortunately I thought the same thing as I do the same as you however I had an audit with DVSA on the 1st of this month and he advised me that this is now a requirement as of August last year. He didn’t take action against me as I could show on my analysis software what I was doing but it is now a legal requirement for it to be shown directly on your card.
then I apologise to you.
I can see where they are coming from. If you get a DVSA stop check whilst out driving, the TM duties are not on your card for the previous 28 days.
Yea, your right. That’s a ball ache ☺️
seanjevan

Post by seanjevan »

Lauralz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:53 pm

then I apologise to you.
I can see where they are coming from. If you get a DVSA stop check whilst out driving, the TM duties are not on your card for the previous 28 days.
but going back to your main question on my TM1 for I just put the minimum hours each day Monday to Sunday and that’s absolutely fine as your day can change depending on business needs.
Lauralz

Post by Lauralz »

seanjevan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:54 pm

then I apologise to you.
but going back to your main question on my TM1 for I just put the minimum hours each day Monday to Sunday and that’s absolutely fine as your day can change depending on business needs.
so as I specified on my TM1 what days I would be performing TM duties, do I now have to notify the TC that I am changing my hours to accommodate the business needs?
seanjevan

Post by seanjevan »

Lauralz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:55 pm

then I apologise to you.
so as I specified on my TM1 what days I would be performing TM duties, do I now have to notify the TC that I am changing my hours to accommodate the business needs?
No as pointed as long as you can prove effective control it’s absolutely fine. If you are worried and want piece of mind then it wouldn’t be a negative to email the central licence office and update your hours but spread them over the week then your covered.
Lauralz

Post by Lauralz »

seanjevan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:55 pm

No as pointed as long as you can prove effective control it’s absolutely fine. If you are worried and want piece of mind then it wouldn’t be a negative to email the central licence office and update your hours but spread them over the week then your covered.
appreciate your input Steve and apologies for being so blunt with you originally 👊
seanjevan

Post by seanjevan »

Lauralz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:56 pm
seanjevan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:55 pm

appreciate your input Steve and apologies for being so blunt with you originally 👊
it’s fine I just don’t want others to fall in the same trap I nearly did. I was just lucky that the DVSA officer was actually really sound and gave me lots of advice without using it against me our jobs are hard enough without getting hit with ever changing legislation

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”