I have just received my Operator's licence and I need some advice from those who's been doing it for a while.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
vikiNews

I have just received my Operator's licence and I need some advice from those who's been doing it for a while.

Post by vikiNews »

Dear Experienced Owner Drivers,
I have just received my Operator's licence and I need some advice from those who's been doing it for a while. Where to start (insurance, tractor unit). What to buy or lease(what kind of). How to get job and keep it ongoing. And obviously what to avoid or what to keep an eye on (like fake jobs, cheater insurance brokers etc.).
I really appreciate for any advice or information.
Thank you for everyone.
Have a good day!
Wojciechap

Re: I have just received my Operator's licence and I need some advice from those who's been doing it for a while.

Post by Wojciechap »

You don't say what your experience is Vikinews... Do you intend to drive it or put a driver in it?
vikiNews

Re: I have just received my Operator's licence and I need some advice from those who's been doing it for a while.

Post by vikiNews »

Wojciechap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 pm You don't say what your experience is Vikinews... Do you intend to drive it or put a driver in it?
i would drive at the beginning
Wojciechap

Post by Wojciechap »

vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:09 pm
Wojciechap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 pm You don't say what your experience is Vikinews... Do you intend to drive it or put a driver in it?
you'll earn money whilst you drive but the moment you employ people your profit goes down the toilet. You can lease a decent truck for £400/450 per week with full R&M. I'd advise you do this first. Get a couple of £5k credit cards as you'll need them until you can get fuel accounts. You can take your pick at the moment. Most of the shipping companies are looking for traction only. You can earn £600 per day pulling other people's trailers. Insurance will be £4k is per year. You'll not see any cash for at least 60 days so you'll need enough cash to keep yourself going 8/9 weeks. Good luck.
swiercon

Post by swiercon »

Wojciechap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:09 pm
vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:09 pm
you'll earn money whilst you drive but the moment you employ people your profit goes down the toilet. You can lease a decent truck for £400/450 per week with full R&M. I'd advise you do this first. Get a couple of £5k credit cards as you'll need them until you can get fuel accounts. You can take your pick at the moment. Most of the shipping companies are looking for traction only. You can earn £600 per day pulling other people's trailers. Insurance will be £4k is per year. You'll not see any cash for at least 60 days so you'll need enough cash to keep yourself going 8/9 weeks. Good luck.
Wojciechap, best advise in fact the only advise
StantonFour

Post by StantonFour »

How long did it take you to get it if you dn't mind me asking? .....Back to your question I personally think you should have done some research before applying for your operators license not after. But good luck on your journey and I hope you will get a few people willing to help you on here.
kingeact

Post by kingeact »

StantonFour wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:11 pm How long did it take you to get it if you dn't mind me asking? .....Back to your question I personally think you should have done some research before applying for your operators license not after. But good luck on your journey and I hope you will get a few people willing to help you on here.
No he has done it right get your O Licence first
StantonFour

Post by StantonFour »

kingeact wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:12 pm
StantonFour wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:11 pm How long did it take you to get it if you dn't mind me asking? .....Back to your question I personally think you should have done some research before applying for your operators license not after. But good luck on your journey and I hope you will get a few people willing to help you on here.
You have to do a bit of research though to whatever you want to pursue otherwise it's recipe for disaster.
kingeact

Post by kingeact »

StantonFour wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:12 pm
You have to do a bit of research though to whatever you want to pursue otherwise it's recipe for disaster.
You can't do anything without a O Licence and the haulage industry changes from day to day six months ago hauliers were working for peanuts average 460 a day today 600 plus per day
StantonFour

Post by StantonFour »

kingeact wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 pm

You can't do anything without a O Licence and the haulage industry changes from day to day six months ago hauliers were working for peanuts average 460 a day today 600 plus per day
I hear you and you are 100% correct but this guy is asking for everything from truck, insurance to Jobs...
kingeact

Post by kingeact »

StantonFour wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:19 pm
kingeact wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 pm

I hear you and you are 100% correct but this guy is asking for everything from truck, insurance to Jobs...
Unfortunately that is how operators are these days. A lot that have been at it a long time are the same no idea what tyres to buy what fuel card to use how much a truck makes a week in profit
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

thanks. I was lucky I got it in 2 months
FreemanX

Post by FreemanX »

How long have you been waiting for O license?
Psyirub

Post by Psyirub »

I wish you all the best in your new venture , did you not think about looking for all of this before you thought of buying your own truck?
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

Psyirub wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:22 pm I wish you all the best in your new venture , did you not think about looking for all of this before you thought of buying your own truck?
I have asked everyone before and been searching it for at least 2 years. I ask this to get current offers or ideas from someone who want to help not just take a piss.
Psyirub

Post by Psyirub »

vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:23 pm
Psyirub wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:22 pm I wish you all the best in your new venture , did you not think about looking for all of this before you thought of buying your own truck?
I have asked everyone before and been searching it for at least 2 years. I ask this to get current offers or ideas from someone who want to help not just take a piss.
Hi , it wasn’t meant to take the piss , it was an honest question, I wouldn’t throw money at something , not knowing I was going to get a return , I wish you all the best in your venture but stand by my comment 👍
ionitabr

Post by ionitabr »

If you are asking all these questions you have not really looked into this properly you say you have goy your o licence in place who did you put as your maintenance provider as a lease company might not agree then you will need to change that again
Kennetui

Post by Kennetui »

ionitabr wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:25 pm If you are asking all these questions you have not really looked into this properly you say you have goy your o licence in place who did you put as your maintenance provider as a lease company might not agree then you will need to change that again
change online, its easy. Just add
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

Kennetui wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:27 pm
ionitabr wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:25 pm If you are asking all these questions you have not really looked into this properly you say you have goy your o licence in place who did you put as your maintenance provider as a lease company might not agree then you will need to change that again
change online, its easy. Just add
Kennetui Thank you
Vadimor

Post by Vadimor »

Hi
Please send me a message on message, I’d be happy to provide a contact for insurance.
ronnieue

Post by ronnieue »

Vadimor wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:28 pm Hi
Please send me a message on message, I’d be happy to provide a contact for insurance.
pm me the details pls
KevinKeep

Post by KevinKeep »

i have traded since 1984 and for most of this time have used local to me insurance broker and never had any problem. I have tried the big boys who advertise in all the papers and find them full of Shit. truck purchase is really down to you i have never leased always purchased. Trucks are all as bad as each other these days are you going to maintain your self or Third party. If a third party i would rent or lease. Work all depends on where you live and are you a lorry driver or a steering wheel attendant. Easy to get work if you are a lorry driver if not just go on containers
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

KevinKeep wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm i have traded since 1984 and for most of this time have used local to me insurance broker and never had any problem. I have tried the big boys who advertise in all the papers and find them full of Shit. truck purchase is really down to you i have never leased always purchased. Trucks are all as bad as each other these days are you going to maintain your self or Third party. If a third party i would rent or lease. Work all depends on where you live and are you a lorry driver or a steering wheel attendant. Easy to get work if you are a lorry driver if not just go on containers
Thank you .... I've been lorry driver for 5 years. Leasing I think costs lot more but might be safer that's why i'm considering both.
KevinKeep

Post by KevinKeep »

vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm
KevinKeep wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm i have traded since 1984 and for most of this time have used local to me insurance broker and never had any problem. I have tried the big boys who advertise in all the papers and find them full of Shit. truck purchase is really down to you i have never leased always purchased. Trucks are all as bad as each other these days are you going to maintain your self or Third party. If a third party i would rent or lease. Work all depends on where you live and are you a lorry driver or a steering wheel attendant. Easy to get work if you are a lorry driver if not just go on containers
Thank you .... I've been lorry driver for 5 years. Leasing I think costs lot more but might be safer that's why i'm considering both.
Can you do any repairs your self
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

KevinKeep wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:31 pm
Let's say I am an experienced user. I would not say I can repair myself ....
KevinKeep

Post by KevinKeep »

vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:32 pm

big gamble to buy then all the garages i know just rip everybody off. Probably rent for six months but don't worry about work as much as you want out there
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

KevinKeep wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:32 pm
vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:32 pm

big gamble to buy then all the garages i know just rip everybody off. Probably rent for six months but don't worry about work as much as you want out there
Do you have any idea where should I rent from? What do think about Oktrucks' cheap deals? Too crap to go for or tolerable.
aliftwor

Post by aliftwor »

Hello
Where are you based?
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

aliftwor wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:34 pm Hello
Where are you based?
Hi I live in Oldham, Greater LD Transport Manchester
IanFleen

Post by IanFleen »

I am a bit puzzled by this I thought that in order to get an O license you had to meet a number of requirements, for example have a yard, have vehicles and be demonstrate sufficient financial standing for the number of vehicles you operate. Also have a transport manager.
How can you get an O license before you behave those things in place?
SebastChee

Post by SebastChee »

IanFleen wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:36 pm I am a bit puzzled by this I thought that in order to get an O license you had to meet a number of requirements, for example have a yard, have vehicles and be demonstrate sufficient financial standing for the number of vehicles you operate. Also have a transport manager.
he has otherwise he wouldn’t have got a license granted
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

SebastChee wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 pm
IanFleen wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:36 pm I am a bit puzzled by this I thought that in order to get an O license you had to meet a number of requirements, for example have a yard, have vehicles and be demonstrate sufficient financial standing for the number of vehicles you operate. Also have a transport manager.
I have all of these and payed a lot. I took over a year to match all requirements
SebastChee

Post by SebastChee »

vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 pm
I have all of these and payed a lot. I took over a year to match all requirements
Me personally, lease for the first six months that’s what I did.
I use a insurance broker used isis at Manchester and now use marsh commercial at Harrogate
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

SebastChee wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:38 pm
vikiNews wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 pm

Me personally, lease for the first six months that’s what I did.
I use a insurance broker used isis at Manchester and now use marsh commercial at Harrogate
What company you lease from? At most of them costs the Earth if less then 2 years....
barrystan

Post by barrystan »

Insurance : Go with ISIS. They did the legwork for me and found me a deal for £3800 even as a new owner operator. Can't fault them. Ask for Keith Forrest.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”